University of Washington (Seattle) MPH Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delphinus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
Waiting to hear from UW about my application which is making me super anxious. I was hoping to interact with other people who are in the same boat as I am. The website for the Epi program (which I have applied to) says they make their decision by early March.. but has anyone heard back from them already?
It would be helpful to share some information about the procedures that follow if one is accepted into the program.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I applied back in November, and I have not heard a thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied at the end of November as well. I doubt they're going to make a decision before March.

Do you guys know if they change the status on the UW applications page to "under review" when it is at that stage? Or does it just show "submitted"?

Hey everyone! I applied for the Nutrition program, so they may have a bit of a different timeline than Epi. I did an interview a couple of weeks ago, but I don't think they interview in each MPH track. They told me that we should know by the third or fourth week of February. So hopefully it's the same for your programs!

Just got my rejection from UW.

Did they send you an e-mail or did you just check the status on your application? Seems very early for them to reach a decision. Sorry to hear you did not get in.

Yes, it is early. I guess my application was so bad that it was an easy decision to make.

Yes, it is early. I guess my application was so bad that it was an easy decision to make.

Again, sorry to hear this. Mind posting your stats? You should reach out to them and find out how to boost your application!

Please post your stats too so I know what I was up against and don't feel so so bad about being rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
Just search my history. I posted it on the main 2015 MPH applicant thread.

I just got accepted into the epi MPH program. Does anyone know how common it is for masters students to get funding either their 1st/2nd year? If I don't receive any funding, either through a RA/SA/TA position, it will be very difficult to afford

I got in. Anyone else going to the visit day in March?

I got in. Will make it to the March 5-6 Visit days.

Hey guys! I live in Seattle and would definitely be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the city (or the school itself... I currently work at UW and take classes as a non-matriculating student just cause I can and have several friends in the SPH so I can probably help you out somewhat). I'm still waiting to hear back from them...it seems like epi and global health have started to send decisions but not health services yet!! But I'm in at Emory and Columbia so I'm not super worried yet. Would love to save on tuition though!

I'm going to the visit days in March also.

Hey guys! I live in Seattle and would definitely be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the city (or the school itself... I currently work at UW and take classes as a non-matriculating student just cause I can and have several friends in the SPH so I can probably help you out somewhat). I'm still waiting to hear back from them...it seems like epi and global health have started to send decisions but not health services yet!! But I'm in at Emory and Columbia so I'm not super worried yet. Would love to save on tuition though!

Thanks, that is really helpful! What programs in the SPH are your friends in?

epi, COPHP, and global (and one who's doing it during med school and I totally forget what department in the sph he's in cause naturally his main focus is med school)

I just got in! Health Services. Anyone know about the scholarship outlook/notification process for UW? So excited! This is one of my top options.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied for the general MPH with global concentration. UW is at the top of my list BUT it will be expensive since I am from out of state.

I just got in! Health Services. Anyone know about the scholarship outlook/notification process for UW? So excited! This is one of my top options.

I also just received my acceptance to Health Services SBS last night! Congrats! There is very little info on scholarships that UW itself gives out (just resources on federal aid, RA/TA-ships, and external sources) so I would contact them about scholarships and see what their prospects/timeline is on that! Every time I have communicated with anyone from the SPH office they have been super friendly and helpful.

I applied for the general MPH with global concentration. UW is at the top of my list BUT it will be expensive since I am from out of state.

I am also out of state and worried about the cost, but it does seem very feasible to secure funding (full/partial) at least as a 2nd year masters student..at least that is the sense I got from talking to some faculty and students. It still makes me nervous to accept the offer without knowing for sure if I will receive funding later on

I'm really nervous about getting into the airport around 10pm and then somehow getting there in the morning for the visit day. Does anyone have advice on public transportation?? I'm actually tempted to rent a vehicle for a couple of days.

Can you give me some advice on how to get to the school? I'm coming in on Wednesday night and will probably be staying at a hotel near the airport. What is the best way to get from there (or the airport) early on Thursday morning? I grew up in the suburbs of a small city and went to college in the same small city, I am terrible at figuring out how to get places. Taxi? Bus? Train??

Can you give me some advice on how to get to the school? I'm coming in on Wednesday night and will probably be staying at a hotel near the airport. What is the best way to get from there (or the airport) early on Thursday morning? I grew up in the suburbs of a small city and went to college in the same small city, I am terrible at figuring out how to get places. Taxi? Bus? Train??

I haven't lived in Seattle since 2009, so take this with a grain of salt, but there's a train that will take you downtown from the airport. There are a bunch of buses that will put you in the U-District from downtown. I believe the 43 and 49 will take you there. Not exactly sure where the school of public health is located...

I haven't lived in Seattle since 2009, so take this with a grain of salt, but there's a train that will take you downtown from the airport. There are a bunch of buses that will put you in the U-District from downtown. I believe the 43 and 49 will take you there. Not exactly sure where the school of public health is located...[/QUOTE
Thank you! Maybe I will call the school and ask for some advice.

So taxi from the airport will set you back around $60+ or if you rent a car, you'll probably end up paying to park near the UW (by the way, the SPH is located in the health sciences building) and downtown if you end up going down there to check things out (which you def should) but youll be able to explore the surrounding areas (so many mountains and lakes to explore!)... In my opinion, it's super cheap and pretty easy to get around via public transportation (however, I have a lot of experience with public transport in various cities across the world and am unafraid of asking for help and directions but I know lots of Seattleites who would prefer to drive and circle for parking everywhere).

Here's a pretty good resource (page 10) http://depts.washington.edu/hservmph/docs/HSSA-student-guide.pdf or you can enter the address in king county metro trip planner http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov... Just an FYI also, the airport to UW isn't the fastest ride via public transportation (but if you're coming at rush hour, driving will probably take almost as long to be honest). Let me know if you have any other questions! (I'm attempting to present all sides, resources & options and hope I'm actually being helpful at all! haha)

Last edited:
So taxi from the airport will set you back around $60+ or if you rent a car, you'll probably end up paying to park near the UW (by the way, the SPH is located in the health sciences building) and downtown if you end up going down there to check things out (which you def should) but youll be able to explore the surrounding areas (so many mountains and lakes to explore!)... In my opinion, it's super cheap and pretty easy to get around via public transportation (however, I have a lot of experience with public transport in various cities across the world and am unafraid of asking for help and directions but I know lots of Seattleites who would prefer to drive and circle for parking everywhere).

Here's a pretty good resource (page 10) http://depts.washington.edu/hservmph/docs/HSSA-student-guide.pdf or you can enter the address in king county metro trip planner http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov... Just an FYI also, the airport to UW isn't the fastest ride via public transportation (but if you're coming at rush hour, driving will probably take almost as long to be honest). Let me know if you have any other questions! (I'm attempting to present all sides, resources & options and hope I'm actually being helpful at all! haha)
Thank you, this is very helpful! Renting a car for 5 days is way too expensive. I'm going to struggle with public transit. Hopefully everything goes okay!

I think I will take a shuttle. I arrive Thursday morning otherwise I would try public transportation.

Thankfully I am getting a ride from the airport when I arrive. I'll have enough time to figure out how I'm getting back to the airport when I need to leave. PHEW

Hi everyone! Could anyone who went to the Visit Days this past week let me know how it went? Unfortunately I was unable to attend but I'm seriously considering attending UW for the General Track in Epidemiology. Thank you!!

Hi everyone! Could anyone who went to the Visit Days this past week let me know how it went? Unfortunately I was unable to attend but I'm seriously considering attending UW for the General Track in Epidemiology. Thank you!!
It was great. I loved it. To be honest, it was barely on my radar and now it's in my top two. Everything was presented so honestly. What exactly would you like to know?

It was great. I loved it. To be honest, it was barely on my radar and now it's in my top two. Everything was presented so honestly. What exactly would you like to know?
Hi! I'm glad you had such a great experience at UW. Did you learn anything about the prospects/likelihood of obtaining RA/TAships during the second year through the public health school? Thanks!

Hi! I'm glad you had such a great experience at UW. Did you learn anything about the prospects/likelihood of obtaining RA/TAships during the second year through the public health school? Thanks!
It sounds very likely. Students and faculty were both saying that most people who want something can get something. However, it sounds like it takes a lot of effort.

It sounds very likely. Students and faculty were both saying that most people who want something can get something. However, it sounds like it takes a lot of effort.
Thanks!

How are you feeling about the school/your decision?
I'm very unsure currently. My head is swimming all day every day with thoughts about what I should do! I visited NYC a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. NYU seems like a great fit for me for various reasons and while I was in the city I found out I was accepted to Columbia, which was unexpected--and that program jumped to the top of my list because I could do a certificate in aging there. It would cost about the same for me to attend UW as it would Columbia with similar outlooks for assistantships with tuition assistance, so I'd say right now my choice is between NYU and Columbia with the chance of UW right behind those two. I'm just not at all sure that the weather out in Seattle would be good for me. I'm a lifelong Floridian and find that I feel sad/sludgy on the days when it's overcast here--I do have two good friends in Seattle who love it there, but the gray days and the geographic distance from home are very daunting to me even though I think the program is good for what I want to do. And I'm not sure I'm ready to start putting down roots on the west coast, which might be silly because I have no idea where I'll end up long term! This is all so stressful!

How are you feeling about UW? It seems like you had a great experience while there!

Anyone who applied to UWash COPHP and heard back?

Were you able to learn anything about obtaining funding during the first year? I'm debating between UW and Berkeley, and Berkeley seemed to have a lot of opportunities for GSI positions that covered tuition + stipend your first year. Also, did you learn anything about how much support the department gives with finding summer internships? Thank you!

Were you able to learn anything about obtaining funding during the first year? I'm debating between UW and Berkeley, and Berkeley seemed to have a lot of opportunities for GSI positions that covered tuition + stipend your first year. Also, did you learn anything about how much support the department gives with finding summer internships? Thank you!

I am also looking at UW and Berkeley and was able to visit both schools. Funding opportunities work similarly at both schools (20 hrs/wk = tuition remission and stipend); however, I believe UW covers a greater percentage of tuition for out-of-state students. I also got the sense that it is a bit easier to get in-state 2nd yr at Berkeley. I think Berkeley might have more GSI funding opportunities, but it seemed like there are more research openings at UW than Berkeley (because it is a much larger program). At both schools, I think it is difficult to secure funding for your first quarter/semester (unless you have a scholarship/fellowship/etc). At UW, there was not much discussion of support for finding internships. However, it does seem like the school is very well-connected and I did not get the sense that any of the students were struggling to find opportunities. Let me know if you have any other questions (or PM me)!

Has anyone else accepted their offer??!!

Has anyone else accepted their offer??!!

I'm visiting this weekend for the GO-MAP Prospective Student Days so hopefully I'll have a decision made afterwards! As of now I'm leaning more towards Berkeley though because I've received so much more helpful and supportive emails from them then UW, but I'll see within the next week....

I applied to UWash's COPHProgram and have been invited to observe a class although I won't know their decision until the 15th of April. COPHP has a PBL method.
I wanted to know what a typical class observation is like as I have never done it before. Am I going to be a fly on the wall or will I be expected to show some participation and to talk with the faculty later (I have already had an informational interview with the coordinator and a professor).
Any dos or don'ts ? Thanks!

I applied to UWash's COPHProgram and have been invited to observe a class although I won't know their decision until the 15th of April. COPHP has a PBL method.
I wanted to know what a typical class observation is like as I have never done it before. Am I going to be a fly on the wall or will I be expected to show some participation and to talk with the faculty later (I have already had an informational interview with the coordinator and a professor).
Any dos or don'ts ? Thanks!
Usually you just sit in and the professor knows ahead of time that you are a visiting prospective student, so they won't bother you. One of the classes I sat in on, another prospective student actually raised her hand and answered one of the questions the professor had posed to the class. You can certainly go up to the professor after the class and speak with them--they will probably appreciate that, though it's not really expected.

Usually you just sit in and the professor knows ahead of time that you are a visiting prospective student, so they won't bother you. One of the classes I sat in on, another prospective student actually raised her hand and answered one of the questions the professor had posed to the class. You can certainly go up to the professor after the class and speak with them--they will probably appreciate that, though it's not really expected.
Hey! Thanks so much for your reply! I am nervous about observing the class and this definitely helps!

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for people attending the MS and MPH programs?