Unknown Primary Head and Neck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metview

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
82 yo woman who presents with a large L level Ib lymph node (4 cm, ENE, P16+/HPV-), staged as T0N3bM0. Imaging with CT neck and PET have been negative and no primary found. She has significant co-morbidities CAD, hx of PEs, COPD, etc which makes her a very poor surgical candidate.

Ib node makes me think oropharynx or oral cavity primary. However, P16+/HPV- status suggests that this may be a cutaneous SCC instead? Given Ib, traditional volumes would be VERY large including entire oral cavity, ipsilateral tonsil, BL BOT, soft palate, and ipsilateral II-V. I would not include NPX or larynx. She would likely not tolerate this well especially with concurrent chemo which is recommended given ENE. Could this be a cutaneous SCC, and if so, would it be reasonable to just treat nodal levels and exclude mucosal sites?

Wonder what others think!

Members don't see this ad.

82 yo woman who presents with a large L level Ib lymph node (4 cm, ENE, P16+/HPV-), staged as T0N3bM0. Imaging with CT neck and PET have been negative and no primary found. She has significant co-morbidities CAD, hx of PEs, COPD, etc which makes her a very poor surgical candidate.

Ib node makes me think oropharynx or oral cavity primary. However, P16+/HPV- status suggests that this may be a cutaneous SCC instead? Given Ib, traditional volumes would be VERY large including entire oral cavity, ipsilateral tonsil, BL BOT, soft palate, and ipsilateral II-V. I would not include NPX or larynx. She would likely not tolerate this well especially with concurrent chemo which is recommended given ENE. Could this be a cutaneous SCC, and if so, would it be reasonable to just treat nodal levels and exclude mucosal sites?

Wonder what others think!
This is most likely a cutaneous scc given hpv dna negative and p16 positive and clinical history. No known history of skin cancer or skin lesions?

Reactions: 1 user
Any prior neck procedures that could have altered lymphatic flow?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think likely cutaneous. Facial cutaneous squamous will drain through facials to IB. Scalp/infratemporal fossa squamous will drain through parotid but IB often 2nd in line.

Less is more for an 82 y/o. I would avoid mucosal sites and treat ipsilateral neck. Have good review of parotid as well for intraparotid adenopathy. If present, COSTAR trial has excellent atlas.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above, you should be good with treating nodes but not mucosal areas. Question is which nodal levels. Ib-IV for sure, plus more superior facial lymphatics, unclear about V, no RPs. Unilateral or bilateral neck? Lots of judgment calls, none is wrong.

Was EBER done? I agree sounds like it could be skin.

Thanks for the help! No suspicious skin lesions and no prior neck dissections. I'll take a close look at her parotid when i see her. I was planning to treat ipsilateral only, Ib-IV, buccofacial, possibly parotid if any palpable nodes.

I'd rarely irradiate elective mucosa in 80+ year old patients with CUP.