Unlimited break time during the actual MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globy321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the AAMC CBT's and noticed that before any section (and after any 10 minute break) there's a screen that introduces the upcoming section with instructions for that section.
This screen does not have a time limit - it does not constitute as break time or passage time. I tried leaving it there untouched for 10 minutes during a full length simulation test and nothing happened. No time was deducted from the upcoming section.
Does anyone know if its like this for the actual MCAT? If this is for real, what is there to stop someone from taking long break (30 minutes) between PS and VR?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing the people running the test center will just kick you out once the full time (including breaks) is up, as they'd know how long the maximum time allotted is supposed to be. But heh, that's sounds like a great way to take a longer break when you're doing a practice at home!

I'm pretty sure that there was a timer counting down when I took the real mcat, but I can't be 100% positive.

I'm about 99% sure that all sections are timed, even transitioning between sections. I think those are only a few minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the AAMC CBT's and noticed that before any section (and after any 10 minute break) there's a screen that introduces the upcoming section with instructions for that section.
This screen does not have a time limit - it does not constitute as break time or passage time. I tried leaving it there untouched for 10 minutes during a full length simulation test and nothing happened. No time was deducted from the upcoming section.
Does anyone know if its like this for the actual MCAT? If this is for real, what is there to stop someone from taking long break (30 minutes) between PS and VR?

If you run out of time in your break during the real MCAT, the next section will not start without you. I went a few minutes over in between my PS/VR and the VR screen was there waiting for me. However, each time you leave and enter the testing room, you sign in/out with the time noted. The testing center staff knows that you're only allowed 10 minute breaks, so if you go way over, they will report you to the AAMC. When I took my MCAT I specifically asked them about this and they said that a few minutes extra isn't a problem but they do report people who take longer than the allotted time for breaks.

Basically, the test itself doesn't govern the 10 minute breaks - the testing center staff does.

Reactions: 1 user
When I did the MCAT, there was a 10-min timer even on the screen counting down.

Basically there never was a point in the test without a timer counting down.

That stress, man.

It's not. That's a feature that CBTs have for some reason. The timer starts counting down as soon as you finish a section on the actual thing

I've read in past threads that people do actually do this, but that the testing center staff confronts them once they've spent more than a couple minutes on the screen between a break and a new section.

I've read in past threads that people do actually do this, but that the testing center staff confronts them once they've spent more than a couple minutes on the screen between a break and a new section.

What do you mean by testing center staff confronts them? Do you mean they get kicked out or do they tell the examine to start the next section?

The section won't start without you. Imagine the chaos of three or four test takers trying to sign back in after each taking an eight minute break. Two minutes should be ample time to get fingerprinted, body scanned, and signed in, but not when there is a backlog of others trying to do the same. I've been in such a situation and the test center staff told us all not to worry. That said, the program won't start without you, but I could see a staff member telling you its time to start if you just sat idly at your computer.

I'm pretty sure that there was a timer counting down when I took the real mcat, but I can't be 100% positive.

I'm about 99% sure that all sections are timed, even transitioning between sections. I think those are only a few minutes.

There IS a timer on the breaks. And after the 10 minutes of break are up, the next section does NOT start immediately, at least not at first (I didn't wait it out to see how long it would take to start automatically, for obvious reasons).

From personal experience, I can tell you that on test day you will be extra-paranoid about missing part of the test and you'll be tracking your time very closely. I took advantage of all but one of the breaks and for each one had several minutes to sit back down in front of the computer and regroup. And that was after going to the bathroom, drinking water, and eating a granola bar. You have plenty of time (just know where the bathroom is located!).

There IS a timer on the breaks. And after the 10 minutes of break are up, the next section does NOT start immediately, at least not at first (I didn't wait it out to see how long it would take to start automatically, for obvious reasons).

From personal experience, I can tell you that on test day you will be extra-paranoid about missing part of the test and you'll be tracking your time very closely. I took advantage of all but one of the breaks and for each one had several minutes to sit back down in front of the computer and regroup. And that was after going to the bathroom, drinking water, and eating a granola bar. You have plenty of time (just know where the bathroom is located!).
So, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have yet to get an answer to this...
If you finish a section early, does that increase your break time? Say you finish PS and/or VR 15min early, do you get 2 25-min breaks instead of 2 10s?