UNLV (IS) vs UMKC (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T_Doctor

Reaction score
School 1: UNLV
* In State - Tuition is $220,000
- Cost of living: Most likely around $1700-1900/month for rent. Everything else more expensive (gas, groceries, etc.
Pros:
- Same COA for UMKC (or at least negligible to me)
- Recent grad has told me his classmates had no problems matching with specialties.
- GREAT clinicals (no resident programs besides peds and ortho, not interested in those two anyway)
- Next to my family
- Loved the campus and students
- Childhood hometown

Cons:

- Away from in-laws
- Expense of groceries and gas
- More expensive rent with less space than UMKC apartments

School 2: UMKC
* In State - Tuition is $240,410
- Cost of living: Around $1,100-1200/month for rent
Pros:
- Same COA for UNLV (or at least negligible to me)
- By my in laws
- Connection with specialty programs?
Cons:
-
Away from my family
- Have heard from dentist in the area (MO) that the dentists who come out of there do not have a strong clinical experience? Comes from older dentists so I take it with grain of salt.
-Have a plethora of specialties (otho, endo, perio, omfs).

Summary: This is a huge toss up. Currently have been in MO for over a year hence why I claim instate for both. I really really would like to have the opportunity to specialize. Not sure exactly but I am thinking endo, perio, or omfs. COA is about the same, so I would like to mostly focus on the quality of education and ability to specialize. Love to hear from previous or current students!

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: UNLV
* In State - Tuition is $220,000
- Cost of living: Most likely around $1700-1900/month for rent. Everything else more expensive (gas, groceries, etc.
Pros:
- Same COA for UMKC (or at least negligible to me)
- Recent grad has told me his classmates had no problems matching with specialties.
- GREAT clinicals (no resident programs besides peds and ortho, not interested in those two anyway)
- Next to my family
- Loved the campus and students
- Childhood hometown

Cons:
- Away from in-laws
- Expense of groceries and gas
- More expensive rent with less space than UMKC apartments

School 2: UMKC
* In State - Tuition is $240,410
- Cost of living: Around $1,100-1200/month for rent
Pros:
- Same COA for UNLV (or at least negligible to me)
- By my in laws
- Connection with specialty programs?
Cons:
-
Away from my family
- Have heard from dentist in the area (MO) that the dentists who come out of there do not have a strong clinical experience? Comes from older dentists so I take it with grain of salt.
-Have a plethora of specialties (otho, endo, perio, omfs).

Summary: This is a huge toss up. Currently have been in MO for over a year hence why I claim instate for both. I really really would like to have the opportunity to specialize. Not sure exactly but I am thinking endo, perio, or omfs. COA is about the same, so I would like to mostly focus on the quality of education and ability to specialize. Love to hear from previous or current students!
you cannot be a resident of 2 states at one time...

Reactions: 1 user
you cannot be a resident of 2 states at one time...
UNLV automatically considers you a resident if you graduate from NV High school. I’m a MO resident currently.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UNLV automatically considers you a resident if you graduate from NV High school. I’m a MO resident currently.
oh wow
didn't know that

con for unlv- no specialty programs you are interested in means no getting to know residents and postgrad instructors to write you letters of recommendation and to do regular shadowing/rotations (you prob have to do more externships)
on the other hand, you will be able to do more of these procedures as a dental student than you would be able to in a program that had more specialties...

oh wow
didn't know that

con for unlv- no specialty programs you are interested in means no getting to know residents and postgrad instructors to write you letters of recommendation and to do regular shadowing/rotations (you prob have to do more externships)
on the other hand, you will be able to do more of these procedures as a dental student than you would be able to in a program that had more specialties...
umkc has tons of patients...