Program-Specific Info / Q's UNM OT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MtbABQ31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice?

I am a second career student, trying to get into UNMs MOT program. I have my masters in social work, have a 3.2 overall, 3.9 prerequiste and tons of social work experience that could translate to the field. I'm currently attempting to get my OT experience.

I would really like to apply and strengthen my application prior to august. If you have any suggestions, that would be great.

Also- could someone speak about the average tuition/debt for a instate MOT student? Do they offer good packages?

Thanks so much! I'm so excited to take this leap finally!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in UNM's OT program right now (tomorrow is last day as a first year!). They are heavy on research, advocacy, and innovation. My advice to you is:

Write a detailed essay. Use variety of vocabulary words, "show don't tell", and be concise. For example, I opened mine with a story (to illustrate how I got interested in OT) instead of just saying something like "I found out about OT when....". Active over passive voice.

Are you in New Mexico? You have to be a state resident or have strong ties to NM. Are you interested in rural health?

References are important. Make sure they give specific detail about who you are and why you are an ideal candidate. Most references will say the same general things. Remind your reference of specific examples that can show how extraordinary you are.

Word everything to make it sound OT!! No matter your work history, relate everything to OT. This is what I did.