Unmatched Cardiology applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecalccobra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied this cycle but was unsuccessful.

Have a few chief year interviews lined up plus HF fellowships interviews.

Anyone who has gone this route, are the chances much higher with the HF route? How does the curriculum/expectations usually work given that most IM grads do not know how to interpret ECHOs or titrate Swan numbers, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious why you weren't able to match - that'll help better answer the question. Based upon a separate thread you had huge numbers of publications and posters/presentations for someone in fellowship, despite being an IMG/community program guy.

I know of one person who did an imaging fellowship (which was primarily imaging research) and matched decently, and one person who did a preventative cardiology fellowship (again, primarily research) and matched as well. I don't know all that much about the heart failure fellowships, but I would imagine doing well in those is probably contingent on having good letters of recommendation and research productivity - the latter of which doesn't seem to be an issue for you??

I'm not sure how a rando chief year at a separate program will help either - no experience on this though.

HF fellowship would be very helpful. My friends who did it all matched to the internal CV program the next year. from people I know who did imaging fellowship and are IMG, most didn't match.