Unofficial WAMC Thread Psychiatry Residency 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueforest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ERAS is open! I'm surprised a thread hasn't been created yet. I'm stealing the format from last year's thread. This by no means is an official thread because I mainly started this for my own knowledge.

Step 1: 233
Step 2 CK/ CS: 251/Pass (ECFMG Certified)
School: 2017 IMG Grad (Not Carib, my med school is my country of origin but I am a U.S. Citizen)
Class Rank: unknown?
Clerkship Grades: no honors system at my school, but NBME shelf exams were our final grade. Highest in Neuro, Internal Med, and Psych
AOA: -
Research/ Publications: 1 Psych Publication, 1 more in the process
Extracurriculars: Student Psychiatry Research group member, School Pediatric Society Member, a Leadership position at my school (class rep type of thing) for 3 years+,
Quality of LORs if known: no idea? probably not at the AMG level which scares me, but all LoRs will be U.S physicians (2 months of electives in the U.S)
Red flags: IMG? Graduated in 2017? I've been working in the ED here in the U.S. after I graduated, hands-off but really great experience (the only legal thing I can do btw)
Where you would like to end up: NJ/NYC, but I am willing to go anywhere as an IMG I can't choose

I'd appreciate any honest feedback.

Also, when it comes to Doximity rankings, how far down should I start considering programs for an applicant like myself? Top 40 type completely out of reach or more like Top 20? Probably a stupid question but I don't want to spend 4 thousand dollars on applications to programs that won't even consider me despite them stating they have no USMLE cut off scores lol.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad.

ERAS is open! I'm surprised a thread hasn't been created yet. I'm stealing the format from last year's thread. This by no means is an official thread because I mainly started this for my own knowledge.

Step 2 CK/ CS: 251/Pass (ECFMG Certified)
School: 2017 IMG Grad (Not Carib, my med school is my country of origin but I am a U.S. Citizen)
Clerkship Grades: no honors system at my school, but NBME shelf exams were our final grade. Highest in Neuro, Internal Med, and Psych
Research/ Publications: 1 Psych Publication, 1 more in the process
Extracurriculars: Student Psychiatry Research group member, School Pediatric Society Member, a Leadership position at my school (class rep type of thing) for 3 years+,
Quality of LORs if known: no idea? probably not at the AMG level which scares me, but all LoRs will be U.S physicians (2 months of electives in the U.S)
Red flags: IMG? Graduated in 2017? I've been working in the ED here in the U.S. after I graduated, hands-off but really great experience (the only legal thing I can do btw)
Where you would like to end up: NJ/NYC, but I am willing to go anywhere as an IMG I can't choose

I'd appreciate any honest feedback.

Also, when it comes to Doximity rankings, how far down should I start considering programs for an applicant like myself? Top 40 type completely out of reach or more like Top 20? Probably a stupid question but I don't want to spend 4 thousand dollars on applications to programs that won't even consider me despite them stating they have no USMLE cut off scores lol.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!
You sound like you've got good chances. In terms of programs you should probably not waste money on, that's pretty straightforward--look at the resident lists and don't bother with the ones that are 100% American MDs or 95% American MDs with the remaining 5% IMGs with hardcore research cred.

It'll be more work but higher yield than trying to draw a line on some ranking list. The value of the doximity ranking list is limited anyway, and outside of the very top programs doesn't mean a whole lot. From my interviews it seemed like a lot of programs were higher on the list than they should have been, and some lower, somewhat correlated with the ranking of the programs medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: 235-240; COMLEX 620-640
Step 2 CK/ CS: Haven't taken yet. probably mildly under 240.
School: Midwestern DO
Class Rank: middle
Clerkship Grades: Honored Psych. Rest Pass. Our school is H/P/F.
Research/ Publications: 2 Poster presentations in psych.
Extracurriculars: Was involved with school's psych/neuro club. Was VP. Not much in way of extracurriculars.
Quality of LORs if known: 1 Really strong IM. 1 Really Strong Psych. 1 Good IM.
Red flags: Hopefully none.
Where you would like to end up: Ideally want to end up in between Boston & Richmond.

Obviously half of my application is still missing. But I'm trying to figure out how many programs I should realistically be thinking about applying to. A lot of people I know are thinking about applying to 50+. And going through ERAS I could see about 100 programs that in some way or form are appealing to me either location-wise or academically. I ideally I to go to a decent hospital with a good C-L component, teaches psychotherapy, and is at most within 30 minutes of a major city >250k people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 235-240; COMLEX 620-640
Step 2 CK/ CS: Haven't taken yet. probably mildly under 240.
School: Midwestern DO
Clerkship Grades: Honored Psych. Rest Pass. Our school is H/P/F.
Research/ Publications: 2 Poster presentations in psych.
Extracurriculars: Was involved with school's psych/neuro club. Was VP. Not much in way of extracurriculars.
Quality of LORs if known: 1 Really strong IM. 1 Really Strong Psych. 1 Good IM.
Red flags: Hopefully none.
Where you would like to end up: Ideally want to end up in between Boston & Richmond.

Obviously half of my application is still missing. But I'm trying to figure out how many programs I should realistically be thinking about applying to. A lot of people I know are thinking about applying to 50+. And going through ERAS I could see about 100 programs that in some way or form are appealing to me either location-wise or academically. I ideally I to go to a decent hospital with a good C-L component, teaches psychotherapy, and is at most within 30 minutes of a major city >250k people.
Hey, I had very similar stats as you, also going to a midwestern DO program. However, I applied west coast and Midwest heavy. Ended up on the west coast. I ended up applying to 60 programs, applying broadly because I was couples matching. I did apply to most of the major NYC programs, and a few Boston and got 4 II invites from that region in what would be considered highly academic programs. I received invites from virtually every Midwest program. I think you’ll be fine. However, for what you’re looking for, I wouldn’t discount Midwest programs because from I could tell they were great with teaching, had happy residents with amazing CoL. I feel that if you’re from out of the region, as a DO trying to match the coasts you should apply broadly. No need for 100 though. Maybe 35-60. But who knows, psych was competitive on the coasts last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Step 1: 220-230
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking both early September but expect to do better than I did on Step I
School: Top 25
Class Rank: unknown
Clerkship Grades: Honored Psych. Rest high pass. All have good evaluations
Research/ Publications: 4+ poster presentations for psych research, 2 psych publications (2nd author) and 1 Optho publication
Extracurriculars: President of school psych group for a year, multiple programs volunteering w/ local children, part of med school student government
Quality of LORs if known: Quality unknown but 1 expected to be pretty good from Peds and 2 from psych
Red flags: None.
Where you would like to end up: Ideally would like to end up back in California to be close to fiancée's family but open to anywhere including east coast

I know my step may be a little low, but if I do better on CK, do I have a chance at the elite programs such as UCLA or Yale? While my CK score won't be released with the initial data sent on Sept 15, is having it in by the MSPE release early enough to get by any early screening?

Thanks in advance!

Step 1: 429
Step 2 CK/ CS: 445/Pass
School: Established midwest DO
Class Rank: Bottom quartile
Clerkship Grades: Honors FM, IM, Peds, everything else HP including Psych
AOA: n/a
Research/ Publications: none
Extracurriculars: President of school Psychiatry interest group
Quality of LORs if known: Clinical faculty, strong recommendations.
Red flags: none
Where you would like to end up: Anywhere

Planning to apply to 100+ programs. Is this overkill or should I possibly even think about another specialty?

Most places don't require step II to interview you, they do require it to rank you however.

Most places don't require step II to interview you, they do require it to rank you however.
I’d argue against this. I had a late CK (November) and SUPER late CS (score after match) - the timing for both was 100% out of my control. The late Step 2s were arguably my biggest red flags (only other red flag was a LOA, but I had a very legit reason for it that was well explained in my ERAS app and MSPE) and definitely hurt me in regards to getting interviews (applied to ~45, got < 10 IIs).

Last edited:
Step 1: 429
Step 2 CK/ CS: 445/Pass
School: Established midwest DO
Clerkship Grades: Honors FM, IM, Peds, everything else HP including Psych
AOA: n/a
Extracurriculars: President of school Psychiatry interest group
Quality of LORs if known: Clinical faculty, strong recommendations.
Where you would like to end up: Anywhere

Planning to apply to 100+ programs. Is this overkill or should I possibly even think about another specialty?

You don’t necessarily have to apply to 100 programs if you applied strategically. With your board scores I’d wager that applying 50 v. 100 would yield similar results, granted the 50 programs were not reaches. Like, anywhere outside the Midwest is a reach kind of thing. Apply to all the Midwest programs. I feel a lot of programs are regionally biased, especially when it comes to average to below average applicants (board scores etc, not saying anything about you as a person). Newer programs will be your best bet imo, but still have a shot at a couple MW academic programs granted you shine bright on interviews. Doesn’t hurt to have a backup either. It seemed like soap was even competitive for prelims, FM, IM spots last year.

Last edited:
Step 1: 220-230
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking both early September but expect to do better than I did on Step I
School: Top 25
Class Rank: unknown
Clerkship Grades: Honored Psych. Rest high pass. All have good evaluations
Research/ Publications: 4+ poster presentations for psych research, 2 psych publications (2nd author) and 1 Optho publication
Extracurriculars: President of school psych group for a year, multiple programs volunteering w/ local children, part of med school student government
Quality of LORs if known: Quality unknown but 1 expected to be pretty good from Peds and 2 from psych
Red flags: None.
Where you would like to end up: Ideally would like to end up back in California to be close to fiancée's family but open to anywhere including east coast

I know my step may be a little low, but if I do better on CK, do I have a chance at the elite programs such as UCLA or Yale? While my CK score won't be released with the initial data sent on Sept 15, is having it in by the MSPE release early enough to get by any early screening?

Thanks in advance!

You have a great shot at ending back up in California given your stats and activities. Your advantage is that there are plenty of programs in southern California, if you want to be in LA. UCLA has three programs, but only Semel is highly competitive, especially when UCLA medical students, who would have an advantage there, are applying in droves (~15-20 in the past two years, unsure about this year). In the past few years, they have pretty much gotten everyone they wanted and didn't go far down their match list, so there's that.

The other two (Harbor and Olive View) are not as competitive and you'd likely end up there if you highly express interest. Both of those programs rotate at Semel too for the 3rd and 4th years, which I would argue is where the eliteness comes in given the plethora of specialty clinics and therapy modalities that are taught there.

UCLA didn't give out interviews until pretty late (October/November) in previous years so I would argue that having your Step 2 scores in by MSPE would be fine for any early screening/impressions.

Step 1: 251
Step 2 CK/ CS: 266/Pass 1st attempt (ECFMG Certified). Will take Step 3 in october
School: Oct. 2016 IMG Grad Venezuela (Non-US IMG)
Class Rank: 19/82 (just in the top quartile)
Clerkship Grades: Magna Cum-Laude (3.53 gpa), but my school didn't have an stand alone psych. rotation (just couple of weeks as part of IM)
Research/ Publications: just 1 research in Tobacco consumption that wasn't even published. Weakest point on my app I would say; I never put too much interest in research while in Med school and then came here and focused 100% on Steps, now 2 months before the match I am worried that this may hurt me giving that 90 percentile steps scores are not so important for psych.
Extracurriculars: volunteer in NAMI (2 months so far). Had a 3 months working experience as a Pediatrics intern back in my country after graduating
Quality of LORs if known: 1 Psych LOR from an observership which I don't expect to be extra strong and a kinda strong one from IM. Waiting to do another rotation in sleep disorders but I don't know if I will be able to get another strong one in Psych on time
Red flags: IMG I guess. Lack of of publications or research of any type. Not sure if I will be able to find a powerful LOR before september
Where you would like to end up: Florida 1st, then Texas or anything in the east coast (would like cali but i have no time for ptal). I am willing to go anywhere as an IMG I can't choose

Has anybody here been or known someone in similar situation than me? About not having too much clinical experience, publications and strong LORs and still matching due to good scores. I guess mathematically good scores are enough to get tons of interviews and then just by going to all of them chances to be ranked high in at least of couple of programs are fair. Kinda anxious about it as I have been told than after 240 psych don't give a s.. about the score and they want people to have to Psych experience to give invitations. I know I can get that experience by next year match but I would really like to get in this year with what I have. Only 2 more months to go.. any advices?
I think I can afford 80-90 programs but I still haven't figure out a smart way to pick them and maximise by chances

Step 1: 480
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking in July
School: Established DO program
Class Rank: Bottom Quartile
Clerkship Grades: Honored Psych. Good evaluations.
Research/ Publications: 10+ poster presentations for psych research, 2 psych publications (2nd author) with another in review. 5 years of psych research.
Extracurriculars: Heavily involved with NAMI for past 5 years (Support group facilitator and mental health instructor). A healthy amount of non-psych volunteerism as well.
Quality of LORs if known: I expect them to be quite good. 2 psych, 1 Peds, 1 Neuro
Red flags: 1 Pre-clinical failure addressed in MSPE
Where you would like to end up: Midwest ideally but open to anything

Do I have a chance with these stats (lets assume I do close to average on step 2)? I've wanted to do psych for the past 5-6 years, I'm terrified that I fall short.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 235
Step 2 CK/ CS: 255 / pass
School: Known but unranked MD school in the southeast
Class Rank: 2nd quartile
Clerkship Grades: Honors: Family Med, Psych, Neuro, Peds, OBGYN; High Pass: Medicine, Surgery
AOA: no
Extracurriculars: Pretty well-rounded with some psych stuff thrown in too
Quality of LORs if known: At least 2 strong letters, the other 2 may just be good
Where you would like to end up: Are the stronger California and Northeast programs too out of reach for me given I am not able to do an away rotation to show interest?
I don't have enough experience to speak to California but I would expect you to get interest from the northeast programs.

Step 1: 245-250
Step 2 CK/ CS: Will take early August
School: Mid tier USMD
Class Rank: Unknown
Clerkship Grades: Honors: Surgery, Psych, FM; High Pass: IM, Neuro, OB, Peds
AOA: No
Research/ Publications: 2 psych posters + summer research program in unrelated field
Extracurriculars: Peer mentor, president & officer positions in unrelated field interest groups
Red flags: None
Where you would like to end up: Philadelphia

Would around 30 programs be a realistic number? Plan on applying to all philadelphia area programs + most NYC programs as well as a few in the south (NC/SC/FL/GA). Thanks!

30 should be far more than enough. For reference my step score was 15-20 points lower than yours; I applied to 17 and interviewed at 10. Hard to guarantee you can end in one specific city (unless you're in Philly for med school), but you should be in really good shape.

Do I have a shot at this?

Step 1: 229
Step 2 CK/CS: Just finished, hoping >Step 1.
School: IMG from Europe, just finished 3rd year.
Class Rank: Not Known
Clerkship Grades: All 1st honours+2nd honours.
AOA: Nope
Research: 1 poster presentation in undergraduate, currently working on a research project on psychiatry looking into schizophrenia under a well-connected professor (hope to get poster in). No publications in journals--> this is my weakness probably.
Extra-curriculars: A support leader at my school (safeTALK certified), member of the mountaineering club, took part in sporting tournaments and a committee member of the emergency medicine club at our school, member of Medical society.
LORS: Doing electives this summer, hoping to secure 1 psych and 1 neurology from Canada, and 1 psych from Miami, and possibly my research supervisor in Europe.
Red Flags: If I mess up my CK and maybe research is a bit on the weaker side. Step 1 score is average.
Where I want to end up: Applying broadly but still undecided.

Do you guys think I have a chance at this?

Step 1: 235
Step 2 CK/ CS: 255 / pass
School: Known but unranked MD school in the southeast
Clerkship Grades: Honors: Family Med, Psych, Neuro, Peds, OBGYN; High Pass: Medicine, Surgery
Extracurriculars: Pretty well-rounded with some psych stuff thrown in too
Quality of LORs if known: At least 2 strong letters, the other 2 may just be good
Where you would like to end up: Are the stronger California and Northeast programs too out of reach for me given I am not able to do an away rotation to show interest?

Good shot at a lot of the California programs especially the mid-tier ones like UCI and Harbor-UCLA. For top tier programs like UCLA-NPI, I think after a point your scores don't make much difference (and you definitely meet whatever "cutoffs" they might have) - but you better have an interesting story or something else that really makes you stand out to be considered.

bump (as multiple new threads are being started with the same questions)

Step 1: 480
Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking in July
School: Established DO program
Class Rank: Bottom Quartile
Clerkship Grades: Honored Psych. Good evaluations.
Research/ Publications: 10+ poster presentations for psych research, 2 psych publications (2nd author) with another in review. 5 years of psych research.
Extracurriculars: Heavily involved with NAMI for past 5 years (Support group facilitator and mental health instructor). A healthy amount of non-psych volunteerism as well.
Quality of LORs if known: I expect them to be quite good. 2 psych, 1 Peds, 1 Neuro
Red flags: 1 Pre-clinical failure addressed in MSPE
Where you would like to end up: Midwest ideally but open to anything

Do I have a chance with these stats (lets assume I do close to average on step 2)? I've wanted to do psych for the past 5-6 years, I'm terrified that I fall short.
I had a friend with almost identical app that had 14 interview invites on 50 apps and matched a very good program in the Midwest. This was last cycle. Just have everything good to go for day one on eras.

Step 1: 213
Step 2 CK/ CS: 245
School: SoCal Medical School
Class Rank: Middle
Clerkship Grades: Honors: Psych; High Passed: Family, Pediatrics; Passed everything else.
AOA: Not available at my school.
Letters: My school's Chair of Psychiatry (wrote that I'm one of the best students he's seen in 25 years), Research Mentor who has also seen my clinical work (wrote that I'm his top research student and that I'm strong clinically), Family Med Physician (wrote excellent comments about me and hope that I stay at the his school for psych residency)
Research/ Publications: 11 poster publications since undergrad, 4 first author publications in psychiatry, 1 second author publication in psychiatry, 3 case study reports, hopefully 1 more publication underway
Extracurriculars: Co-Founded LGBTQ+ health organization, Ran two mental health conferences for LGBTQ+ Health, Worked at free homeless clinic for eight years and worked with psychiatry in the clinic, Participated in summer research program for psychiatry and presented two posters that summer, Ran 3 marathons, Taught health class to underserved high school students, Received research grant to do community psychiatry research, Received 5 different psychiatry awards/scholarships from national organizations, Do community education and clinical work for childhood psychiatry, Participated in a prestigious 1-week medical program to interact/see healing process for alcoholics at major recovery center
Where you would like to end up: Northern California. My Husband is a resident in NorCal.

I know my Step 1 score is so low, but I had a tremendous improvement in step 2. Should I just give up for psychiatry and apply for family medicine? I'm scared being queer will bar me from many psychiatry programs outside of California and New York.
You've been living in one hell of a bubble if you think California and NYC are the only places you can be out and a psychiatrist. At minimum almost all of the northeast and west coast are sure bets, and in a lot of college towns and cities in the rest of the country no one would bat an eye.

Your application sounds fine and with strong extracurriculars you don't need a backup specialty. You *may* have have to consider areas other than nyc and CA. Somehow most of us survive just fine elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
You've been living in one hell of a bubble if you think California and NYC are the only places you can be out and a psychiatrist. At minimum almost all of the northeast and west coast are sure bets, and in a lot of college towns and cities in the rest of the country no one would bat an eye.

Your application sounds fine and with strong extracurriculars you don't need a backup specialty. You *may* have have to consider areas other than nyc and CA. Somehow most of us survive just fine elsewhere.

What would be good programs for me to apply outside of California and NYC? Do you think I have 0 shots to stay in California? Sigh...

Step 1: 225/525
Step 2 CK/ CS: 239/505
School: 2018 DO graduate
Clerkship Grades: all passes
Research/ Publications: 6 posters, 3 psychiatry related; planning to submit another one to APA in September
Extracurriculars: I was unmatched last year. I matched into a Traditional Rotating Internship that is anticipates accreditation as a Transitional Year in September
Quality of LORs if known: Hopefully good. Will have 2 psych (one from research), ICU, PD
Red flags: didn't match in 2018 match
Where you would like to end up: At a decent university program I hope

Do I have any chance at all? I'm planning on taking Level 3 as well and passing hopefully

Clerkship Grades: Honors: Psych; High Passed: Family, Pediatrics; Passed everything else.
Letters: My school's Chair of Psychiatry (wrote that I'm one of the best students he's seen in 25 years), Research Mentor who has also seen my clinical work (wrote that I'm his top research student and that I'm strong clinically), Family Med Physician (wrote excellent comments about me and hope that I stay at the his school for psych residency)
Research/ Publications: 11 poster publications since undergrad, 4 first author publications in psychiatry, 1 second author publication in psychiatry, 3 case study reports, hopefully 1 more publication underway
Extracurriculars: Co-Founded LGBTQ+ health organization, Ran two mental health conferences for LGBTQ+ Health, Worked at free homeless clinic for eight years and worked with psychiatry in the clinic, Participated in summer research program for psychiatry and presented two posters that summer, Ran 3 marathons, Taught health class to underserved high school students, Received research grant to do community psychiatry research, Received 5 different psychiatry awards/scholarships from national organizations, Do community education and clinical work for childhood psychiatry, Participated in a prestigious 1-week medical program to interact/see healing process for alcoholics at major recovery center
Where you would like to end up: Northern California. My Husband is a resident in NorCal.

I know my Step 1 score is so low, but I had a tremendous improvement in step 2. Should I just give up for psychiatry and apply for family medicine? I'm scared being queer will bar me from many psychiatry programs outside of California and New York.

I think you would be fine if you decided to apply to only psychiatry as it's not that competitive where your step 1 score will hurt you dramatically. Your publications, letters, and extracurriculars are great and you seem to have a well rounded application.

If you want to be in NorCal, you're in luck because there's a new psychiatry program opening in Oakland (through Kaiser) in June 2019 (six residents) and possibly San Jose but unclear when that will be. Otherwise, you have UCSF, Stanford, San Mateo, CPMC, and UC Davis that are in NorCal and would probably allow you to be close to your Husband. If you're looking a bit further than UCSF Fresno, UCLA Olive View, UCLA, UCLA Harbor, USC, UCI, and Loma Linda aren't as far as New York would be. I think you have a good shot at CA.

1. Being queer will definitely NOT bar you from pretty much any of the psychiatry programs outside of NY and CA, certainly not from the ones in major cities! I think you can totally match psychiatry, but if I were you I would also apply broadly to some more programs outside of NY and CA to be safe. Consider adding some midwest and east coast programs? Good queer-friendly ones that come to mind are a bunch of the Chicago and Boston programs, Brown, Yale, and Vanderbilt.

2. You definitely have a shot at the NorCal programs, they're competitive but in an unpredictable way; it's more about people's unique stories and passions than their Step scores. Your demonstrated improvement in Step 2 CK is great though and will help!

Agreed. In Boston and the rest of New England, being LGBTQ will be something interesting about your application. There's really no bias at academic psych programs in most of the country, particularly the northeast and west coast.

Step 2 CK/ CS: Taking in early August
School: State MD school
MSPE: strong with "excellent student" designation (top third)
Clerkship Grades: top third with H in psych and surgery
Research/ Publications: Lot's of publications in cardiology. None in psych.
Extracurriculars: Developed a late interest in psych, so no psych clubs (should I join one?). Decent volunteering, strong research.
Quality of LORs if known: Probably around average for psych applicants. 2 psych LORs and 2 IM.
Red flags: none besides no interest shown in psych up until this point (last core rotation).
Where you would like to end up: East or west coast.

Last edited:
Agreed. In Boston and the rest of New England, being LGBTQ will be something interesting about your application. There's really no bias at academic psych programs in most of the country, particularly the northeast and west coast.

Damn.... well I better start looking for a boyfraanddd!

Step 1: 199 :(
Step 2 CK: 249
School: Top 25 MD school
Clerkship Grades: Honors: psych - High Pass: neuro, obgyn, surgery - Pass: all others
AOA: Nope
Research/ Publications: Nope
Extracurriculars: I ran an aging interest group at my school - organizing talks and events. I also taught some yoga on the side.
Quality of LORs if known: Currently not known, but probably will be middle of the road
Red flags: I had to take time off during M1-M2 due to the passing of my mom
Where you would like to end up: Hoping to stay close to home in Chicago... but open to other geographic locations. I have a developing interest in neuropsych or geriatric psych, but no definite plans to do a fellowship or anything.

I did horribly on my Step 1 obviously, and struggled during M1-M2, mostly from the trauma of my mom passing away. I think I bounced back a bit during M3, but now I'm wondering what my chances are and what kinds of programs I should apply to. Any input would be so helpful!

Last edited:
Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK/ CS: 256/passed comlex PE
School: Well known midwestern DO school
Class Rank: top 15%
Clerkship Grades: As in everything except for an A- in family med
AOA: I'm part of SSP which is kind of the DO equivalent?
Research/ Publications: I've worked on 3 research projects but have no publications, I hopefully will be submitting a manuscript by September.
Extracurriculars: Was on the executive boards of my school's psych society, student's for a national health program, and women's associations. Did a lot of volunteering as well.
Quality of LORs if known: I think 2 really good psych, 1 good neuro, 1 okay family med
Red flags: that I'm a DO.
Where you would like to end up: I would really like to end up at an academic center in Boston or Chicago, but I am also open to more places on the north east too. I'm doing 2 aways in boston and one in chicago. Is this possible???

Step 1: low 240s
Step 2 CK/ CS: high 240s/passed comlex PE
School: Well regarded DO in the West coast
Class Rank: top third
Clerkship Grades: honors in surgery and in IM. Missed honors in psych due to shelf but had strong eval which indicated honors.
AOA: none
Research/ Publications: I've worked on 1 project submitting for publication soon.
Extracurriculars: Was on the executive boards of psych club, volunteered with recovering addicts during first two years of school. Interesting and unique prior career before med school which interviewers loved talking about at med school interviews. Developed side business during medical school. Have a very strong entrprenuerial side.
Quality of LORs if known: 1 amazing psych, I think a good IM, good surgery. Also waiting on a letter from my psych sub-i which I've been told I did excellent on.
Red flags: DO.
Where you would like to end up: California is my home and I'd love to stay here or somewhere on the West coast. Open to big cities elsewhere in the country as I understand West coast is competitive.

Last edited:
Step 1: none comlex only. Level 1- 590
Step 2 CK/ CS: None. Level 2 CE- 510 PE failed first attempt, 2nd attempt score in by Oct.
School: Small DO school in the southern US
Class Rank: Not sure 50th percentile-ish, our class ranking system makes no real sense to me.
Clerkship Grades: Pass-OB and IM. Honors-Neurology, Surgery High pass-Psych, and Family
AOA:Nope
Research/ Publications: None
Extracurriculars: Americorps before medical school, Suicide prevention club during medical school
Quality of LORs if known: Two great letters in psych one from an psych acting internship, the last from a 3rd yr Neurology rotation quality unknown
Red flags: Failed PE, should have a passing score in by the time MSPEs go out.
Where you would like to end up:Southern USA preferred but applying a very broad application including the midwest and east coast.

Hope that getting a passing PE score in before interviews go out at most programs will help most programs over look that it took two attempts for the most part but assuming it won't I am applying broad. I have 2 psychiatry acting internships and the first one went very well earning a strong letter from an good academic program in the south.
So whatcha think?

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck! As a DO myself in last year's match, it hurts seeing "DO" listed as some of y'alls red flags, but at least you know what you're getting into at this point. The interviews will come if you apply strategically, just be realistic given each program's class history.

Anyone know what the difference between Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, Mt. Sinai (I guess main), and Mt. Sinai Roosevelt Hospital is?

Step 1: 244
Step 2 CK/ CS: pending
School: relatively unknown school in TX
Clerkship Grades: pass in psych ( :( ). honored 3, passed the rest
AOA: nope
Research/ Publications: 1 undergrad publication, 1 surgery case report submitted, couple poster presentations (only 1 is psych, and it's a nonsense poster presentation that accepts everyone in our school). no psych pubs
Extracurriculars: almost none
Quality of LORs if known: probably average
Red flags: pass in psych, almost no ECs or leadership, nothing that really "stands out" in my app
Where you would like to end up: any large city (superficial I know) - including programs in TX, Cali, NY, Chicago, Denver, Miami, Philly, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Boston. don't care about prestige, would like research and more than just bare minimum psychotherapy training, but location is #1 and I would choose big city over better training because I'm a millenial who values the wrong things in life

any feedback would be appreciated!

Step 1: 248
Step 2 CK/ CS: 260
School: First graduating class of a new Cali school
Class Rank: Unkwown, but most likely top quartile.
Clerkship Grades: Honors in Surgery, Pass in Family Medicine, HP in everything else (including psych)
AOA: Not available at my school
Research/ Publications: No psych research but a lot of non-psych. 4 publications, one of which is first-author.
Extracurriculars: Student Government, participated in LCME prep (e.g. ISA/DCI team), Research (medicolegal), community volunteering
Quality of LORs if known: Strong
Red flags: At time of submission will not have pysch letter (will have 3 from other specialties)
Where you would like to end up: No strong geographic preferences, slight preference for coasts.

Does being from a new school matte? How much does it hurt me to not have the psych letter on the 15th?

Last edited:
Step 1: 237/607
Step 2 CK/ CS: 236/675
School: well established DO school
Class Rank: 1st quartile
Clerkship Grades: honors, except for IM
AOA: nope
Research/ Publications: 1 undergrad project no pub, 1 month cancer research with abstract, ongoing child psychiatry research
Extracurriculars: president of a med school club, SSP
Quality of LORs if known: two from psychiatrists who know me well, one from IM unkown quality
Red flags: potentially lack of research
Where you would like to end up: south west/west coast.

I know CA is DO-unfriendly, but am wondering if there are any programs that are less against DOs. From my research, at most there is one DO in the entire residency program.
How many programs to apply to is a good number?

Step 1: 207
Step 2 CK/ CS: 212/Likely Pass
School: Top 20 USMD
Clerkship Grades: 2x Pass, 5x High Pass, 1x Honors (HP in Psych and Psych Consults, Honors is Child Psych)
Research/ Publications: APA poster, oral presentation at regional conference, first author pub in small journal, 5th author in big journal.
Extracurriculars: Numerous volunteer experiences, officer in psych interest group and other psych extracurriculars, ex-military with several Army awards + leadership experiences
Quality of LORs if known: 3x very good, 1x good. Very strong letter from huge name in psych research, 2 from psych professors, 1 from family med
Where you would like to end up: Midwest, west coast or southwest. Applying broadly to 50+ programs, community and academic.

Step 1: 207
Step 2 CK/ CS: 212/Likely Pass
School: Top 20 USMD
Clerkship Grades: 2x Pass, 5x High Pass, 1x Honors (HP in Psych and Psych Consults, Honors is Child Psych)
Research/ Publications: APA poster, oral presentation at regional conference, first author pub in small journal, 5th author in big journal.
Extracurriculars: Numerous volunteer experiences, officer in psych interest group and other psych extracurriculars, ex-military with several Army awards + leadership experiences
Quality of LORs if known: 3x very good, 1x good. Very strong letter from huge name in psych research, 2 from psych professors, 1 from family med
Where you would like to end up: Midwest, west coast or southwest. Applying broadly to 50+ programs, community and academic.
assuming i can tell your med school from your location, this will go a long way to negate the lower board scores. many places will also give you bonus points for being a veteran. if you happen to have an interest in working with the veteran population then you could get additional bonus points. a psych related poster would also give you bonus points.

were your poor clerkship grades related to poor shelf scores or your actual clinical performance? If the former, that is okay but you might want to explain somewhere if you're not a good test taker (especially if you have any learning disabilities) but dont make excuses. Also if that is the case, it might be helpful if your letter writers have directly addressed that your boars scores are not reflective of your clinical performance. If the latter, that might indicate you may not interview well and I would encourage you to get some coaching/practice interviewing with a psychiatry faculty member.

Just skimming these posts... as a DO who interviewed at some stellar academic centers please don’t tell yourself being a DO is A red flag. I had zero indication that my degree was By any means being held against me. Aside from once when the pd during my interview (I had been doing a sub I so we knew each other pretty well, Told me that their game was a little weird about DOs but he said that wouldn’t effect my spot on their rank list). Walk in and apply confidently if your a good applicant your good don’t go to interviews thinking your an underdog. DO students perseverate on the whole do/md thing when no one else really gives a damn.

Reactions: 2 users
Step 1: 209
Step 2 CK/ CS: 253 / Pass
School: Top 10 US MD
Class Rank: bottom quartile
Clerkship Grades: Honors: Neuro; High Pass: Family Med Pass: everything else
Research/ Publications: 2 during med school; 1 first author paper (not in psych)
Extracurriculars:
Quality of LORs if known: ? no idea. Assuming good, but waived right to see. 2 psych, 1 internal, 1 family.
Red flags: step 1, Pass in M3 psych (but Honors in m4 psych sub-I)
Where you would like to end up: Big city.

Just saw a few messages from a while related to this post. I matched at my first choice residency. The quality psych programs look beyond step 1. You've got this!!

Last edited:
Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK/ CS: 244/Unknown
School: Top 50 USMD
Class Rank: Second quartile
Clerkship Grades: H Surgery, psych, HP IM. Pass FM, OBGYN, peds
Research/ Publications: Two oral presentations in neurology
Extracurriculars: Multiple volunteer experiences, officer in psych interest group
Quality of LORs if known: 3x very good,
Where you would like to end up: Academic program in NYC, Chicago, Boston

Just skimming these posts... as a DO who interviewed at some stellar academic centers please don’t tell yourself being a DO is A red flag. I had zero indication that my degree was By any means being held against me. Aside from once when the pd during my interview (I had been doing a sub I so we knew each other pretty well, Told me that their game was a little weird about DOs but he said that wouldn’t effect my spot on their rank list). Walk in and apply confidently if your a good applicant your good don’t go to interviews thinking your an underdog. DO students perseverate on the whole do/md thing when no one else really gives a damn.

Not all programs are created equal however. I think it's important to remain realistic that at least some programs will consider pedigree/reputable schools in ranking.

Step 2 CK/ CS: 246 / Pass
School: European Grad - this year
Class Rank: Smack dab in the middle
Clerkship Grades: good grades, no honors

Research/ Publications: Current working on research during app cycle, none prior
Extracurriculars: Leader of psych group, tutor for 3 years,
Quality of LORs if known: 3 very good letters, two US - relevant
Red flags: CS pass was second attempt
Where you would like to end up: idc really

Apart from this I've good good USCE. Also other relevant CV stuff as a mini bonus, not listing here

Not all programs are created equal however. I think it's important to remain realistic that at least some programs will consider pedigree/reputable schools in ranking.
I don’t disagree... in my experience however I find that the DO students own weird self discriminating biased is the first great hurdle. And honestly if somewhere doesn’t want to interview you because your a DO why would u want to go there for residency? I didn’t get invited to interview by duke and when all is said and done I’m a ok with it . Lol Sorry getting some venting out :)

Step 1: 194
Step 2 CK/ CS: 217/Pass
School: IMG (Visa requiring)
Class Rank: Top 15%
Clerkship Grades: n/a
Research/ Publications
: 1 yr psych research experience(continuing in to 2nd year), 7 psych posters-(isbd, apa, aacap), 4 psych publication under review (1 first author), 2 others
Extracurriculars: ESL tutor
Quality of LORs if known: 4 US psych LOR-good
Red flags: extremely low scores, yog - 2016, visa requiring IMG- currently holds a J1 research visa
Where you would like to end up: most interested- Midwest, applying widely around 120 programs
Given the terrible stats on MLEs and visa requirement, I realize I do not stand much of a chance. Making one last ditch attempt to know I tried.:)

Last edited:
I am afraid that my application is going to be filtered out due to low scores although strong research/interest
Step 1
: 210s
Step 2 CK/ CS: 210s/Pass
School: Med School: IMG, PhD Neuroscience: US Big Ten school
Class Rank: First of the class (1/400)
Clerkship Grades: High Honors (>90%)
Research/ Publications
: PhD in Neuroscience at a Big Ten. 17 (publications/posters/presentations)
Extracurriculars: Multiple activities involving minorities and underserved communities. Education Certification at Graduate Level. DSM 5 clinical practicum (1 year) inpatient unit.
Quality of LORs if known: EXCELLENT! 3 US LORs (PhD mentors; 2 clinicians, one researcher) 1 Psych supervisor in home country.
Red flags: IMG. Low scores. 5 years since graduation (doing Clinical Neuroscience PhD, clinical duties at psych inpatient unit).
Where you would like to end up: East Cast: top research track or mid- school with research opportunities.
Strong research background in psychiatry. MD, PhD-level training. I know I have been off Med School for a while but in contact with patients during my PhD. Strong demonstrated interest in Psych.

I've heard from sources (aka the psychiatrists on my school's admission boards) that a lot of places now have Step 1 screening scores just because there are SO many applications. It's not necessarily that high, but I heard it's somewhere around 215-220. Anything under will be screened out, according to my sources. I'm not sure which places but you should definitely look into which places have Step 1 cutoff scores.

I've heard from sources (aka the psychiatrists on my school's admission boards) that a lot of places now have Step 1 screening scores just because there are SO many applications. It's not necessarily that high, but I heard it's somewhere around 215-220. Anything under will be screened out, according to my sources. I'm not sure which places but you should definitely look into which places have Step 1 cutoff scores.

Most places, even if they do have a cutoff, won't advertise it because said cutoffs are fairly fluid and vary from year to year. Plus, I bet there are probably like 1000 ways to get around cutoffs anyway.