Unopposed Programs in the South

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruraldocs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of applying to FM unopposed programs mainly in the South, From NC down through TX.. Does anyone have any advice on ones with a good, but more importantly bad reputation?
I've done some extensive research, but I guess you never really know for sure. Does anyone know anything about the Program in Albany,GA or Spartanburg SC
I'm interested in a program that trains you well for rural medicine as I plan to live either in an underserved area of the US or possibly/probably outside the US but still definitely practicing rural medicine.
Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard good things about the program in Tyler, TX. Lots of grads from my school go there. Supposedly it offers lots of face-time with attendings and a solid all around education in in-pt, out-pt, procedures and OB.

Thanks for the reply, I actually did look into that program and applied there already... def looks just like you said.
Anyone have any info on the greenwood program in SC, I've heard some good things, but not sure how reliable the source was. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Also check out John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. It is the largest fam med program in the country. They offer 4 yr programs that integrate a fellowship into the residency, rather than just adding it on at the end. I would definitely be applying there if I wanted to stay in the South (I am in Louisiana right now).

Thanks again for your replies.
Do you or anyone have any info on the program at Tallahassee. I've heard that the Daytona halifax program is considered very good, what about this one? I have an interview there and just trying to get some more info. Thanks

No, sorry, I'm not familiar with that one. Good luck!

Isn't McLeod in Florence, SC unopposed? I work with a recent grad of that program and he seems very well-prepared including endoscopy/colonoscopy training....