Unrelated Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratiocinate

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I found a research position, but I'm a bit worried because it seems a bit astray from medicine. I'm basically working in a lab that is the intersection between computational biology and ecology (specifically parasitism). Would it be better to stay in this lab and get a recommendation after a few semesters, or should I search for more medically related labs? Do med schools care WHAT applicants are researching or just that fact that they ARE researching?

Thanks champs!

Members don't see this ad.

I know some fellow med students who have done research in non-medical fields (chemistry, ecology, evolution, etc). I think what med schools are looking for in research is the ability to do hypothesis-driven research, carry out a long-term project, and just simply using the scientific method.

If you are interested and passionate about computational biology/ecology, then go ahead. I don't think this area of research you're interested in is going to hurt you. Now, some schools may prefer medically-related research (especially at MD/PhD programs or research heavy schools), but I think you'll be okay. You could always spin the parasitology research to be clinically relevant. In general never do research if you don't like it, or if it's in a field you don't like because those will be evident on your application and interview.

Reactions: 1 users
What the above poster said. Any research you enjoy is going to be fine for your medical school application