Unsatisfactory academic progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beginnings

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted opinions on my situation in PT school (mainly grades). I am about to finish my second term in PT school and I am not performing well at all (Mostly C's and B's). I know for a fact that I am capable because I received A's and B's on exams and practicals in the supposedly "hardest" classes this term; however, I ended up failing the anatomy exam and dropping my grade over 10 percent to a C. I don't have any problems with understanding the material, but I have been struggling with the idea of not being a competent clinician after I graduate due to my poor grades this term.

Most people say that getting C's in the classes reflect how much you understand the material and our competence as clinicians; but in my case, I have a good grasp of the concepts but it's more of my inconsistency with motivation that seems to cripple me. Did any of you also struggle with cycles of being unmotivated? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you maintain what you need to stay in good academic standing, you are golden. Do not fret about not getting high B's or A's... it does not translate to the real-world. Exams are arbitrary measures made by professors that do not define you. I've had a professor say they would prefer a B or C student with great social skills in the clinic, over an A student without those soft skills.. because it is a nightmare to work with someone like that in the clinic. That goes without saying, not all A students are like that, and neither are B or C. Just keep making the connections and worrying about understanding instead of beating yourself up over rote memorization for exams that you will regurgitate and forget about in 2 weeks time.

Reactions: 1 user
From the information in your post, it sounds like you struggle with memorizing large amounts of info (anatomy exam). Perhaps consider trying anki.. there is a ton of information on its utility and how to use it if you search in the medical forums. Ever since I used anki, my grades increased.. but it's a big time commitment.

Reactions: 1 user