unsure which path to choose business related

N

NP545

I want to go into med school for sure, but am undecided on the path to take in undergrad.

I have 2 options:

1) social science major & business minor
-minor consists of introductory courses in fields such as marketing, management, accounting, finance

2)economics major & social science minor
-major consists of beginner micro and macro, followed by upper level courses
if I choose this route, i have to finish the major (30 credits) within 1.5 years. this would mean taking 3-5 upper level classes each semester for the 1.5 year. i have no idea how easy or hard econ classes are, but they involve math.
I am very good at math as opposed to english, so this would not hinder me

Overall, as a future hopeful med student, i have no idea which road to take. im hoping whichever i choose will provide me with some useful business knowledge i can use in the future (maybe when opening a practice or something), and also can serve as a potential backup plan.

Correct me if im wrong, but I think 1) is better for learning how to open a practice in the future while option 2) will provide me with a better backup route. Is this right? I am 99.9% leaning towards med school, but it never hurts to have a good backup

Which option would you recommend has more weight and possibly more useful skills that I should pursue?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got degrees in both Biology and Economics. If you're smart enough to handle med school pre-reqs and are good at math, economics classes will be an absolute joke to you. I would imagine most other business classes would be preposterously easy as well. I think your reasoning for this plan is very good. I want to use my economics degree to eventually own and manage my anesthesia group, but business knowledge is important no matter what you plan to do in medicine. I am curious, though, as to why you're going for a degree in social science. Certainly stick with it if it's something you're very passionate about, but if you're not too attached to it I would recommend a more "traditional" med school science major.

I got degrees in both Biology and Economics. If you're smart enough to handle med school pre-reqs and are good at math, economics classes will be an absolute joke to you. I would imagine most other business classes would be preposterously easy as well. I think your reasoning for this plan is very good. I want to use my economics degree to eventually own and manage my anesthesia group, but business knowledge is important no matter what you plan to do in medicine. I am curious, though, as to why you're going for a degree in social science. Certainly stick with it if it's something you're very passionate about, but if you're not too attached to it I would recommend a more "traditional" med school science major.

Hmmm.. right now I'm thinking that an Econ major would be too much to do within my other classes. I might just pursue the business minor while taking some helpful economics classes. in regard to a secure backup, do business employers prefer people who are "majors" over people who are non majors but took the same classes?

in addition, what were the most helpful economics classes you took which you would recommend to take? I don't want to take any wasteful economics classes that will not impact me in the future if i decide to manage a doctor group or something. Do you remember the names of specific classes you took in college that were good?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, If I were in your shoes and deciding between those two paths, I would pick a business major, and a science minor instead of a social science, but you may not want to and that's okay. As previously stated, business knowledge is important to matter what you plant to do (in medicine). But, in your case, I would suggest a business major, and a social science (if that is what you really like or are interested in) minor.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm.. right now I'm thinking that an Econ major would be too much to do within my other classes. I might just pursue the business minor while taking some helpful economics classes. in regard to a secure backup, do business employers prefer people who are "majors" over people who are non majors but took the same classes?

in addition, what were the most helpful economics classes you took which you would recommend to take? I don't want to take any wasteful economics classes that will not impact me in the future if i decide to manage a doctor group or something. Do you remember the names of specific classes you took in college that were good?

Thanks

I don't know if/how much they prefer majors, but you would at least to have a minor in something business related. The core economic classes were great for building a solid, general base of economic knowledge (intro and intermediate micro and macro economics courses), while I took a couple advanced economic courses that were good for more specific knowledge (Money and Banking course, Economic Analysis of Law course). My school didn't have any medical economic courses but if yours does then that would obviously be a great class to take too.

in addition, what were the most helpful economics classes you took which you would recommend to take? I don't want to take any wasteful economics classes that will not impact me in the future if i decide to manage a doctor group or something.

Thanks

I don't know how any economics course would help you with management/entrepreneur skills. These are more things that are taught in business managment and gained by virtue of experience. I would recommend not minoring at all and simply taking extra courses that are of interest to you. I have never seen a college minor prove useful in advancing career/life goals. Pursuing a minor simply gave me less options for courses to chose from.
If your going to become a doctor, I'm a big advocate of having as much fun as you can in undergrad. Study what you like and enjoy yourself without letting your GPA suffer. There is plenty of time to have a lifeless/miserable existence for your at least 7 years of med school and residency.

Good for you! It's so awesome to see people choosing two different pathways simultaneously. Good luck with everything.

For whatever it's worth I majored in International Business during in undergrad and I'm now a first year med student. Being a non-science major (read: less time consuming major) freed me up to do more volunteer work / clinical experience. I feel that I am at no disadvantage through the first 3 months of med school. The one thing I wonder is how the 2015 MCAT changes the ability for non-science majors to prepare (I'm pretty much in the dark on this topic) PM with any questions!