UNSW Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soul_sista

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there was wondering if anyone's going to UNSW med this year? any tips on how to survive Syd? especially how much money to bring as allowance per month, if all tuition fees, accomodation and 3 meals a day is already covered. girl from malaysia here.... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm from Singapore and will be doin 3rd year med at UNSW...welcome to the family...you'll be the 3rd batch taking the new medical course so be prepared for the ups and downs! I guess you'll find out when you start with the first foundations course in March...

UNSW is easy to survive cuz there are many international students and support services so you won't feel alone...the asian food (chinese in kingsford and thai at randwick) is quite a bit and good too...there are also many Malaysians studying med...where will you be staying? Near campus? Remember that the med fac is on upper campus so if you stay in Kingsford it will be a good 20 minutes walk up slope!! You will need to bring enough money to buy textbooks (around A$100 per book) and sthethoscope...if you havent done so then you can go to the medsoc bookshop...the course is multi-disciplinary which means from the very beginning, anatomy, physio, pathology, microbio etc. are all thrown at you...so quite a few txtbooks...and clinicals start in the first week!!

As for allowance per month...since your 3 meals are covered (i'm assuming you stay in college or Malaysian hall...I was at Shalom for a year)...as a beginning student maybe it would be good to prepare at least A$50 per week cos you may need to buy stuff like bus cards etc....note international students do not receive concessions...a real bummer...

Hope this helps... :laugh:

Congrats on getting a unsw offer! U muz hav really gd grades! I'm from Singapore...did Yr 12 last yr...now waiting for a late round offer maybe...

Members don't see this ad :)
nathanesque said:
Hey! I'm from Singapore and will be doin 3rd year med at UNSW...welcome to the family...you'll be the 3rd batch taking the new medical course so be prepared for the ups and downs! I guess you'll find out when you start with the first foundations course in March...

UNSW is easy to survive cuz there are many international students and support services so you won't feel alone...the asian food (chinese in kingsford and thai at randwick) is quite a bit and good too...there are also many Malaysians studying med...where will you be staying? Near campus? Remember that the med fac is on upper campus so if you stay in Kingsford it will be a good 20 minutes walk up slope!! You will need to bring enough money to buy textbooks (around A$100 per book) and sthethoscope...if you havent done so then you can go to the medsoc bookshop...the course is multi-disciplinary which means from the very beginning, anatomy, physio, pathology, microbio etc. are all thrown at you...so quite a few txtbooks...and clinicals start in the first week!!

As for allowance per month...since your 3 meals are covered (i'm assuming you stay in college or Malaysian hall...I was at Shalom for a year)...as a beginning student maybe it would be good to prepare at least A$50 per week cos you may need to buy stuff like bus cards etc....note international students do not receive concessions...a real bummer...

Hope this helps... :laugh:

woo hooo glad to know I'm not gonna feel TOO homesick ;) I'm hoping to be able to stay on campus, and I've applied to New College and Kensington Colleges, although a bit too late! I've not gotten any backup accommodation though....how are the Barker and Mulwaree apartments? And what exactly are Malaysian halls? haven't heard of any.... :oops:. And books I'm hoping to buy them from Malaysia and bring them over there....as it's much cheaper here apparently. Do you have any idea on how to get hold of the booklist? And international students don't get the regular student concessions as well? UNSW HERE I COME!!!

tkdwhiz1188 said:
Congrats on getting a unsw offer! U muz hav really gd grades! I'm from Singapore...did Yr 12 last yr...now waiting for a late round offer maybe...

thx so much! Hope you get in too, then we'd be classmates ;)

Soul_sista said:
woo hooo glad to know I'm not gonna feel TOO homesick ;) I'm hoping to be able to stay on campus, and I've applied to New College and Kensington Colleges, although a bit too late! I've not gotten any backup accommodation though....how are the Barker and Mulwaree apartments? And what exactly are Malaysian halls? haven't heard of any.... :oops:. And books I'm hoping to buy them from Malaysia and bring them over there....as it's much cheaper here apparently. Do you have any idea on how to get hold of the booklist? And international students don't get the regular student concessions as well? UNSW HERE I COME!!!

Hey...it would be best to get accommodation before you arrive, or you can come much earlier before session because it can be hard finding housing on campus. New College has just been renovated so it's nice but it's on lower campus if you don't mind the 20min walk to med fac...the Kensington Colleges are a bit too old for me but they're on middle campus...the Barker Apartments are opposite New College...I've never been inside but from the outside it looks quite decent...try not to get the ground floor unit as there are break-ins! Mulwaree apartments (located on 'upper upper campus') are good, heaps of sporean med students staying there, the only drawback is that it's a 20min walk and you need to pass the horse stables...if you know of any med people you can choose to share a 5 room apartment with them...I heard of Malaysian hall through my malaysian friends but I don't remember seeing it...good idea about the books though it adds weight to your baggage...if you give me your email I can email you the book list...regarding the concessions, yes no travel concessions for international students but if you were wondering about the medical books from medsoc bookshop...it is slightly subsidized for all medical students but it can be more expensive than if you were to buy it in Asia...roughly the same I would say...