UNT HSC vs. USF IMS for SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silentshadow59

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into both UNT HSC and USF for a year long masters program.
What are your thoughts on the two schools and which would you all choose? I live in Texas right now, but the fact that the courses in USF IMF program are taught with medical students is really enticing me. Does anybody know if we get credit for the classes we take with the medical students in the program will count for our medical school credits?

Also, does it make any difference completing a master's degree from an osteopathic school (UNTHSC) when applying to med schools? I hear people say it doesn't matter, but wouldnt it be much better to get a graduate degree from an actual med school? Let me know your thoughts! This is such a hard decision!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about the UNT program, so I can't comment on that, but I am a recent USF IMS grad and will be attending USF MCOM in the fall for medical school. The program definitely helped me get into medical school, but like all things, you get what you put into it, and it is a very difficult curriculum requiring massive amounts of work and focus. You do not get "credit" for the MS1 classes so you will have to retake them as a med student. This is because IMS students do not take the MS1 Doctoring (clinical skills) course so we cannot go straight into the second year of medical school. It may seem annoying at first to have to retake the basic science course, but it should be an easy A the second time and should also allow you to spend more time outside of class doing research/studying for boards/volunteering/doing fun stuff, so I can't really complain.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The other program is a good program, but (obviously) I'm going to be a fan of IMS. IMS is 10-15 students sitting alongside the med students taking the same exact classes and exams as the med students. IMS averages a 90-100% acceptance rate into medical school within the first year of graduation from the program. IMS has an integrated systems-based curriculum too. The pre-professional medical sciences program is 250 graduate students taking their own classes. Many of the lectures are identical to the MD courses and they get a few of the same professors, but not all. Both programs are 3 semesters long. IMS is summer, fall then finishes in spring, pre-professional is fall, spring and finishes in summer. I think doing the summer first is better because it allows you to study for the MCAT after the program not during the program or if you get accepted right out of the program you get a summer break instead of only one week off before med school classes begin. Another thing to keep in mind is that USF MCOM only has 150 or so seats. If the pre-professional program has 250 students they clearly cannot accept very many of them because they just don't have enough seats. IMS is also more competitive to get into than the preprofessional program so that's also something to keep in mind. Both programs provide a great curriculum and preparation for medical school but I think IMS is the best :) sorry for the novel

I was also accepted to FSU and I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple schools.

I am a graduate of the UNT HSC program, so I can comment on it and provide some balance.

I can say without a doubt that this program helped get me into medical school. The courses are mostly biomedical classes and thus demonstrate your aptitude in the biological sciences. They are similar to the classes offered to MS1 at TCOM but smaller in volume.

I received interview offers from most of the schools in Texas. Ill be matriculating at UT Southwestern in the fall, so its not an SMP to get only into DO schools as some would have you believe.

@GandalfTheWhite wow congrats!!
If you don't mind me asking, what was your gpa/mcat score prior to gaining acceptance into UNT HSC?
3.5/24

And what were your stats like during/after the program?
3.9/35

did you retake mcat?
4 times
however, keep in mind that the last exam i took was in 2011 (26) and my most recent one was 2013.
the 24 was from junior year in college in 2009. A series of unfortunate events transpired before each of my previous MCATs. Just unlucky I guess.

I live in Dallas and always thought of UT Southwestern as my dream school but seems just too competitive for me to make the cut.
Same.

Also, what schools did your UNT HSC classmates get into?
All of the ones in texas. Mainly A&M/TCOM/several at UTHSCSA

Also, did you get accepted while you were still at UNT HSC or did you wait until the program was over in order to apply to med schools?
Waited till I had all my grades.

Just curious :)
I've bolded my answers.

Its not about the numbers after a certain point TBH. Ive seen several people with both MCAT/GPA combos higher than mine get rejected. Its also about your ECs, essays, and interviews.

I spent a total of 2-3 months writing, editing, having it peer-reviewed, and polishing it. I am also a 3rd time re-applicant.

@GandalfTheWhite I'm in the process of writing my personal statement right now actually. And, do you recommend any good articles or books for me to read in order to get prepared for the interview process?
Search the SDN forums. That's pretty much all I looked up. and how to dress appropriately.

@GandalfTheWhite did you or any of your classmates get accepted into out of state schools? I'm wondering if UNTHSC is a well received program in Texas only or out of state also. And do you know anybody who went to Baylor from this program?

Not sure about out of state, but yes a few people got into Baylor. I received an interview invite but chose to decline.