This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojotheshow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year dental student and I am having a very, very hard time liking the field of dentistry. I applied to medical school in college and was rejected by all the schools I applied to after doing terrible on the MCAT. I studied for roughly 600 hours for the MCAT and did so poorly that no amount of studying could have improved my score enough to get into med school. Under pressure from my girlfriend at the time to "figure out what I was going to do with my life" I took the DAT without studying for it and got a fine score that I had no problem getting into dental school. I shadowed a dentist for one day and thought that I could do this and I went on a dental mission trip, where we didn't do much dentistry, to get the rest of my required shadowing hours. Ever since the first day of class my first year, I have honestly hated the mouth and the field of dentistry. It is not so much that I dislike dental school as I have a fundamental dislike for the mouth, looking in the mouth, touching the mouth and I dont feel like I am actually helping anyone. If I were to have gotten into medicine, I would have wanted to work in the ICU. I have a difficult time finding the importance of a tooth when I wanted to help take people off death's door. I am highly considering attempting to go to medical school after I finish dental school - I have talked to a bunch of medical schools and they tell me I must finish dental school to even have my application looked at. However, I really don't want to go to anymore schooling because I am burnt out from dental school and going to be in $300,000 of debt when I graduate.

SO MY QUESTION, is there any unusual field in dentistry that does not involve looking at or touching a patient's mouth? I would really prefer not to work at a university if possible. Any help would be appreciated more than you know! Thank you so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

there's oral and maxillofacial radiology.

but from what you wrote, i don't think you are the sharpest tool in the drawer. you are better off to jusy leave the health care field all together. maybe pick up a trade like plumbing or something

I am currently a third year dental student and I am having a very, very hard time liking the field of dentistry. I applied to medical school in college and was rejected by all the schools I applied to after doing terrible on the MCAT. I studied for roughly 600 hours for the MCAT and did so poorly that no amount of studying could have improved my score enough to get into med school. Under pressure from my girlfriend at the time to "figure out what I was going to do with my life" I took the DAT without studying for it and got a fine score that I had no problem getting into dental school. I shadowed a dentist for one day and thought that I could do this and I went on a dental mission trip, where we didn't do much dentistry, to get the rest of my required shadowing hours. Ever since the first day of class my first year, I have honestly hated the mouth and the field of dentistry. It is not so much that I dislike dental school as I have a fundamental dislike for the mouth, looking in the mouth, touching the mouth and I dont feel like I am actually helping anyone. If I were to have gotten into medicine, I would have wanted to work in the ICU. I have a difficult time finding the importance of a tooth when I wanted to help take people off death's door. I am highly considering attempting to go to medical school after I finish dental school - I have talked to a bunch of medical schools and they tell me I must finish dental school to even have my application looked at. However, I really don't want to go to anymore schooling because I am burnt out from dental school and going to be in $300,000 of debt when I graduate.

SO MY QUESTION, is there any unusual field in dentistry that does not involve looking at or touching a patient's mouth? I would really prefer not to work at a university if possible. Any help would be appreciated more than you know! Thank you so much in advance!

Public Health Dentistry and Oral/Maxillofacial Radiology

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

but from what you wrote, i don't think you are the sharpest tool in the drawer. you are better off to jusy leave the health care field all together. maybe pick up a trade like plumbing or something
Thank you for your initial suggestion? As for your second comment, I'm actually very smart - just not good at taking the MCAT... what gave you the impression I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer?

Public Health Dentistry and Oral/Maxillofacial Radiology
Thank you for the suggestion, do oral/maxillofacial radiologists examine interesting cases? Or is it pretty run of the mill abscesses etc?

Thank you for your initial suggestion? As for your second comment, I'm actually very smart - just not good at taking the MCAT... what gave you the impression I am not the sharpest tool in the drawer?
your life choices

how are you gonna pay back all your debt? it is one thing doing what you wanna do, it is another thing to do what you wanna do with a sound financial plan.

yes right now and ortho next year
Amazing. I guess that proves that there's a shortage of dentists if a prick like you can actually get patients. Good luck with ortho, you might want to work on your people skills if you actually expect to be successful

how are you gonna pay back all your debt? it is one thing doing what you wanna do, it is another thing to do what you wanna do with a sound financial plan.
That's something I've talked to a lot of doctors and dentists about. From the sound of it, it won't be a problem paying back my loans. If I go to an instate medical school, the four years of med school will be equivalent to just one year of dental school so the comparable financial hit isn't as much. I am tied down by my dental loans though.... the only reason I didn't leave dental school was in case med school doesn't work out, I would at least have a six figure job to repay my loans.

Amazing. I guess that proves that there's a shortage of dentists if a prick like you can actually get patients. Good luck with ortho, you might want to work on your people skills if you actually expect to be successful

You're asking for advice from the same people you may be putting down. You're not setting yourself up for success by expressing that you found a task that many on this forum find/found difficult to accomplish (scoring well on the DAT and gaining acceptance into dental school) to be a joke. Whether or not you meant to come off this way is unknown to me. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't even score a semi decent score on the MCAT (I'm assuming this based on the fact that you couldn't gain acceptance into a single medical school) yet managed to find the DAT to be a walk in the park.

How old are you? If you're not a troll and your question is genuine then this information may help others answer your question.

If you're really a third year dental student then I'm guessing that you are aware of the different dental specialties that exist. However, most of them require you to look in the oral cavity at one point or another. If you're looking for an "unusual field in dentistry" then you're most likely hunting for one of those rare positions that there aren't too many of. It doesn't seem very smart to finish dental school and limit yourself to those opportunities alone.

You claim that the only reason you didn't leave dental school was so that you could have a backup plan to make six figures and pay off your loans. If you didn't like dental school from day 1 why didn't you just leave right away? This way you could have minimized your financial burden and you wouldn't need a job that pays six figures to pay off your six figure debt all while doing something you hate.

If you performed so poorly on the MCAT then what guarantee do you have that you will end up in the ICU given that you have to take multiple exams that are most likely more difficult than the MCAT. Not all physicians are taking "people off death's door" so if you don't get into your area of choice you may be providing services that you may not see as being valuable or important.

Lastly, you could attend a six-year oral and maxillofacial surgery program and receive your MD and then try to be an ICU doc (not sure how realistic or possible this is) but there are several challenges:
1. You would be old as dirt before you would be working as an ICU doc
2. You would have to look in people's mouth for a LOOONG time before being able to do what you want to do
3. You would have to attend a 6-year program oral maxillofacial program and essentially gain acceptance into a medical school but I doubt you are smart enough given that you weren't able to accomplish this in the past.

By the way, if you are still dating that girlfriend of your, either grow a spine or dump her as I don't think she's helping you "figure out what you are going to do with the rest of your life".

You're asking for advice from the same people you may be putting down. You're not setting yourself up for success by expressing that you found a task that many on this forum find/found difficult to accomplish (scoring well on the DAT and gaining acceptance into dental school) to be a joke. Whether or not you meant to come off this way is unknown to me. I find it hard to believe that you couldn't even score a semi decent score on the MCAT (I'm assuming this based on the fact that you couldn't gain acceptance into a single medical school) yet managed to find the DAT to be a walk in the park.

How old are you? If you're not a troll and your question is genuine then this information may help others answer your question.

If you're really a third year dental student then I'm guessing that you are aware of the different dental specialties that exist. However, most of them require you to look in the oral cavity at one point or another. If you're looking for an "unusual field in dentistry" then you're most likely hunting for one of those rare positions that there aren't too many of. It doesn't seem very smart to finish dental school and limit yourself to those opportunities alone.

You claim that the only reason you didn't leave dental school was so that you could have a backup plan to make six figures and pay off your loans. If you didn't like dental school from day 1 why didn't you just leave right away? This way you could have minimized your financial burden and you wouldn't need a job that pays six figures to pay off your six figure debt all while doing something you hate.

If you performed so poorly on the MCAT then what guarantee do you have that you will end up in the ICU given that you have to take multiple exams that are most likely more difficult than the MCAT. Not all physicians are taking "people off death's door" so if you don't get into your area of choice you may be providing services that you may not see as being valuable or important.

Lastly, you could attend a six-year oral and maxillofacial surgery program and receive your MD and then try to be an ICU doc (not sure how realistic or possible this is) but there are several challenges:
1. You would be old as dirt before you would be working as an ICU doc
2. You would have to look in people's mouth for a LOOONG time before being able to do what you want to do
3. You would have to attend a 6-year program oral maxillofacial program and essentially gain acceptance into a medical school but I doubt you are smart enough given that you weren't able to accomplish this in the past.

By the way, if you are still dating that girlfriend of your, either grow a spine or dump her as I don't think she's helping you "figure out what you are going to do with the rest of your life".

Of course I didn't mean to come off that way. Why would I want to insult the people I am appealing for help?? I know that many found that scoring well on the DAT was difficult, it would have been hard for me too if I hadn't just studied for months and months on end for the MCAT. They are two extremely different tests. The DAT asks questions over a lot of different things that are straight up. The MCAT tests on a more narrow range of topics but asks the questions in paragraph form. It is literally the only test I have ever taken that has done that. Not even the USMLE I and II are set up the same way as the MCAT.

I'm obviously not a troll... I have a lot better things to do than to get on studentdoctor.net during the middle of finals week if I wasn't extremely bothered by what I am asking.

Yes, I am aware of all the recognized dental specialities but I am looking for the one's that are not recognized and more rare. I have heard things about prosth specialities that revolve around artificial eyes, ears, noses etc. But then I found out that a plastic surgeon places those, the prosthodontist makes them. If you know of any rare fields, I would really love to hear them.

I didn't leave dental school right away because I was hoping that it would grow on me and that I would like it. I talked to a lot of advisors and faculty and they all said that they didn't like it to begin with but once they got into clinic (our third year in dental school), they really took a liking to it because they were working with real people. I talked to other students in the school and they said the exact same thing. Being a dentist is probably the best job you can have for all the obvious reasons but you have to at the very least like it. I was hoping I would like it once I got into clinic but I have ended up disliking it even more.

The MCAT is a completely different test than the boards tests for medical school. I know med students who did poorly (not as bad as I did) on the MCAT and did extremely well on their boards. It isn't too difficult to get into the critical care field because there are a ton of avenues to do that. You can go into emergency medicine, peds, internal medicine etc and they all have a path to intensive care and internal medicine and peds are far from the most competitive specialties to match. I do think that I would like most fields of medicine more than dentistry. This isn't a knock on the dental field because lots of people like that, but a lot of the dental field deals with cosmetics and cavities (most of which are contained to the mouth). Based on the clinic at our school, most dental procedures are elective - even cavities. I would really like to do something that is important to keep the person alive longer which is what most medical fields do.

And yea the same type of challenges to going the MD route via OMFS that you have thought of are the one's I have encountered when talking to people. And once in a 6 year OMFS, I have heard it is extremely difficult if not impossible to match to a different residency.

Haha yes, that girl is loooong gone.

Lastly, unlike @bobtomatoes I wasn't trying to offend or insult anyone. I should have worded my initial question slightly differently (not much) but I don't understand why it seems like dentists are so touchy when compared to docs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'll stop with the insults towards your intelligence now since your question seems a little more genuine. Dentists are touchy because that is what they teach us in dental school (to touch people's mouths that is). Even as a maxillofacial prosthodontist, you would most likely to making prostheses for defects that include the oral cavity so that wouldn't help you very much. Here are a few things I can think of:

1. DDS/MD OMS then do a fellowship that is as far away from the oral cavity as possible. Not sure if this is even possible as most of the fellowships are somehow related to the head and neck.
2. Teach something. You doctorate level degree will most likely open up some teaching positions somewhere.
3. Do research. Once again, you will have a doctorate level degree and I'm sure many places would be glad to have you as part of their team.
4. Work for a company such as Colgate as a consultant of some sort or work for an insurance company. I don't know too much about this.

It sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle and have been contemplating this for a while. Best of luck to you and keep your head up. Maybe it will grow on you after you practice some dentistry outside of school...dental school does suck after all

Ok, I'll stop with the insults towards your intelligence now since your question seems a little more genuine. Dentists are touchy because that is what they teach us in dental school (to touch people's mouths that is). Even as a maxillofacial prosthodontist, you would most likely to making prostheses for defects that include the oral cavity so that wouldn't help you very much. Here are a few things I can think of:

1. DDS/MD OMS then do a fellowship that is as far away from the oral cavity as possible. Not sure if this is even possible as most of the fellowships are somehow related to the head and neck.
2. Teach something. You doctorate level degree will most likely open up some teaching positions somewhere.
3. Do research. Once again, you will have a doctorate level degree and I'm sure many places would be glad to have you as part of their team.
4. Work for a company such as Colgate as a consultant of some sort or work for an insurance company. I don't know too much about this.

It sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle and have been contemplating this for a while. Best of luck to you and keep your head up. Maybe it will grow on you after you practice some dentistry outside of school...dental school does suck after all

The first idea and fourth idea are a few of the things I have contemplated. I'm thinking that if I maybe run the business side of dentistry, that may be my best bet. I don't mind the head and neck at all! I just dont specifically care for the mouth. Maybe teaching as a part time position could work as well. Huh not bad ideas! Thank you so much! I really, really appreciate it! Best of luck to you as well! I really, really hope it does grow on me! I'm thinking of practicing for just a year to see if maybe that is something I like and it really is the schooling aspect. Thank you for your help!

The first idea and fourth idea are a few of the things I have contemplated. I'm thinking that if I maybe run the business side of dentistry, that may be my best bet. I don't mind the head and neck at all! I just dont specifically care for the mouth. Maybe teaching as a part time position could work as well. Huh not bad ideas! Thank you so much! I really, really appreciate it! Best of luck to you as well! I really, really hope it does grow on me! I'm thinking of practicing for just a year to see if maybe that is something I like and it really is the schooling aspect. Thank you for your help!

you couldn't do well on the MCAT to get into ANY medical schools...but you think you're going to match to a 6 year OMFS and then do a competitive fellowship? just go ahead and cross #1 off that list...cuz it's never going to happen

you couldn't do well on the MCAT to get into ANY medical schools...but you think you're going to match to a 6 year OMFS and then do a competitive fellowship? just go ahead and cross #1 off that list...cuz it's never going to happen

No, #1 definitely still on the table. I'm top 25% in my class right now and I know I have to get that into the top 20% at least but that is certainly doable. Do you have any other dental field suggestions that may be a good fit?

No, #1 definitely still on the table. I'm top 25% in my class right now and I know I have to get that into the top 20% at least but that is certainly doable. Do you have any other dental field suggestions that may be a good fit?

Dude if your a 3rd year dental student you should definitely know the dental specialties.. you're definitely trolling bro lol

Dude if your a 3rd year dental student you should definitely know the dental specialties.. you're definitely trolling bro lol
Did you read my comments? I'm looking for specialties that aren't recognized by the ADA. You can specialize in TMD and that isn't recognized by the ADA.... Seriously? Just because I don't like dentistry doesn't mean I'm a troll

You couldn't do decent on the MCAT...how are you going to do well on the cbse...oh yeah, and pass step 1, 2ck/cs, 3...6-8 shelf exams...and all the bs you go through in the first two years? And not just pass these exams, but do well enough to get into the 10 omfs fellowships in the country

Top 25% in dental school means nothing...2/3 of your class doesnt care at all about their grades

So again...cross off #1 you got no shot...im not trying to be mean just realistic

Last edited:
Ok that's fine. My main goal is not to touch the mouth. Do you have any ideas?

Ok that's fine. My main goal is not to touch the mouth. Do you have any ideas?

:thinking:
*Goes to a school that teaches people to work on the mouth*
*Does not want to touch the mouth*

---------------------------------------------------------------------
That said, maybe consider forensic dentistry

Or buying and running multiple practices- you could supervise associates, be responsible for the admin. stuff, and still earn a great income.

That's a really good idea. Thank you so much! I'll actually look into that!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
That said, maybe consider forensic dentistry

Or buying and running multiple practices- you could supervise associates, be responsible for the admin. stuff, and still earn a great income.

You will not like forensic dentistry either, as a forensic odontologist you will be touching mouth of a deceased person.

You will not like forensic dentistry either, as a forensic odontologist you will be touching mouth of a deceased person.
I'd rather them be dead than alive..... what kind of hours do they have and do they strictly practice forensic dentistry? Or do they have to do private practice to supplement income as well?

I'm really glad to know I'll have future colleges who prowl around on

Well said sir - spoken like a true douche-bag. Glad to know I'll have a colleague like you in the field.

You couldn't do decent on the MCAT...how are you going to do well on the cbse...oh yeah, and pass step 1, 2ck/cs, 3...6-8 shelf exams...and all the bs you go through in the first two years? And not just pass these exams, but do well enough to get into the 10 omfs fellowships in the country

Top 25% in dental school means nothing...2/3 of your class doesnt care at all about their grades

So again...cross off #1 you got no shot...im not trying to be mean just realistic

Its always encouraging to know that there are future clinicians, such as yourself, who have dedicated themselves to a life of serving others through medicine. However, it baffles me that someone who is as gifted as yourself hangs out on forums to engage in a pissing-contests with someone who is just eliciting help. I would seek out a hobby to alleviate your aggression - or quite possibly a life.

Dental anesthesiology. It is not a recognized specialty, but would really only require you to touch someone to intubate them or put in an IV. I would also agree with past posters, top 20-25% will not get you into OMFS.
I have never heard of dental anesthesiology. Do you know more about it?? Like do they go around to private practices or just work with oral surgeons in a hospital setting? That really sounds like something I could be interested in. Thank you for the suggestion!! I don't mind touching people, I just dont like working in the mouth for a variety of reasons..

I have never heard of dental anesthesiology. Do you know more about it?? Like do they go around to private practices or just work with oral surgeons in a hospital setting? That really sounds like something I could be interested in. Thank you for the suggestion!! I don't mind touching people, I just dont like working in the mouth for a variety of reasons..

One of my classmates went on to a dental anesthesiology program. I think there may be several, but i know Pitt has one.

Here might be some information:
http://www.dental.pitt.edu/dental-anesthesiology

Its always encouraging to know that there are future clinicians, such as yourself, who have dedicated themselves to a life of serving others through medicine. However, it baffles me that someone who is as gifted as yourself hangs out on forums to engage in a pissing-contests with someone who is just eliciting help. I would seek out a hobby to alleviate your aggression - or quite possibly a life.

I assume this is just a second account that OP has created...but re-read my post bruh bruh...nothing mean in there, blunt maybe...and im not omfs so it ain't a pissing contest...the MCAT is small potatoes compared to step 1...you gave the MCAT your best shot and didnt make the cut...im sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's a fact...if you cant do well on the MCAT chances are youre not going to do well on step 1, or the 7 other major exams in addition to the actual classwork

I have no aggression...just want this misguided youth to be realistic...he's not doing a 6 year omfs and fellowship...

And anyways...you can buzz off, i was talking to op not u

x2 for DA. Post some info on here if you end up looking more into it, I'd be curious to hear what you find about the speciality.

Also, Can you elaborate on why you don't like working in the mouth? I haven't worked much in the clinic yet, and I'm genuinely curious why you feel that way.

dental anesthesia is very matchable...you could be a mobile provider and go office to office doing the sedation/anesthesia for other GPs, peds, OMFS and other dentists...your only contact with the mouth would be the preop eval and intraop airway

You can't realistically work at a hospital as a dental anesthesiologists

I don't know about the rest of you guys...
But I have a few instructors in dental school that would meet that profile. A couple were department heads too. Hell, the dean(s) may have been one of those guys too as I never saw him/her touch a patient.

dental anesthesia is very matchable...you could be a mobile provider and go office to office doing the sedation/anesthesia for other GPs, peds, OMFS and other dentists...your only contact with the mouth would be the preop eval and intraop airway

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! Thats something that I'm going to really look into. That sounds like something I could really like

Thank you so much for the suggestion, I really appreciate it! Thats something that I'm going to really look into. That sounds like something I could really like.

I assume this is just a second account that OP has created...but re-read my post bruh bruh...nothing mean in there, blunt maybe...and im not omfs so it ain't a pissing contest...the MCAT is small potatoes compared to step 1...you gave the MCAT your best shot and didnt make the cut...im sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it's a fact...if you cant do well on the MCAT chances are youre not going to do well on step 1, or the 7 other major exams in addition to the actual classwork

I have no aggression...just want this misguided youth to be realistic...he's not doing a 6 year omfs and fellowship...

And anyways...you can buzz off, i was talking to op not u
Haha no that wasn't me. I'd just tell you myself

x2 for DA. Post some info on here if you end up looking more into it, I'd be curious to hear what you find about the speciality.

Also, Can you elaborate on why you don't like working in the mouth? I haven't worked much in the clinic yet, and I'm genuinely curious why you feel that way.
I will let you know as I get more info! We have finals now so it'll probably be after this next week.

Sure, so I don't like how difficult it is to see things well - especially on the posteriors of the upper arch and the distal surfaces of the mandibular posterior teeth, I don't like how small everything is and living in millimeters. I think its very tedious. Ironically, I have some of the best hands in the class, and I thought I really liked working with my hands when applying, but I'd much rather just talk to patients and use my mind. We start out with comprehensive initial exams and I've really found that I would much rather talk with the patients more than anything.

In all honesty, the biggest thing I don't like about the field of dentistry is that it seems that mountains are so often made of mole hills. I have a really difficult time reconciling that there are all these steps just to fix a tooth. I just have a really hard time seeing the importance of teeth and so while I don't like the things that I listed above, I think they are just compounded by that attitude. As long as you like the field of dentistry and find it fulfilling, I think you'll be just fine in clinic. There's a lot of BS you can put up with if you like the basic premise of what you are doing, but if you don't it makes it a lot more difficult.

I will let you know as I get more info! We have finals now so it'll probably be after this next week.

Sure, so I don't like how difficult it is to see things well - especially on the posteriors of the upper arch and the distal surfaces of the mandibular posterior teeth, I don't like how small everything is and living in millimeters. I think its very tedious. Ironically, I have some of the best hands in the class, and I thought I really liked working with my hands when applying, but I'd much rather just talk to patients and use my mind. We start out with comprehensive initial exams and I've really found that I would much rather talk with the patients more than anything.

In all honesty, the biggest thing I don't like about the field of dentistry is that it seems that mountains are so often made of mole hills. I have a really difficult time reconciling that there are all these steps just to fix a tooth. I just have a really hard time seeing the importance of teeth and so while I don't like the things that I listed above, I think they are just compounded by that attitude. As long as you like the field of dentistry and find it fulfilling, I think you'll be just fine in clinic. There's a lot of BS you can put up with if you like the basic premise of what you are doing, but if you don't it makes it a lot more difficult.

Bold: Orthodontics. You can have a profound impact on patients now through early intervention.

I read your second paragraph and on one hand I see where you're coming from but today we're living in an age of specialization through the division of labor; there are no generalists. Therefore, fixing teeth is more complicated in order to achieve technical results that were not been possible in the past. Making- mountains-out-of-molehills is a sentiment that will not lead to clinical excellence; dentistry is definitely not unique in this regard.
Not trying to nit-pick but you've also created a false-dichotomy in the third sentence of your second paragraph: patients sick in an ICU doesn't negate, or lesson, the need and value of dental services. I suspect that this way of thinking is at the core of your dissatisfaction with dentistry.

Last edited:
Bold: Orthodontics. You can have a profound impact on patients now through early intervention.

I read your second paragraph and on one hand I see where you're coming from but today we're living in an age of specialization through the division of labor; there are no generalists. Therefore, fixing teeth is more complicated in order to achieve technical results that were not been possible in the past. Making- mountains-out-of-molehills is a sentiment that will not lead to clinical excellence; dentistry is definitely not unique in this regard.
Not trying to nit-pick but you've also created a false-dichotomy in the third sentence of your second paragraph: patients sick in an ICU doesn't negate, or lesson, the need and value of dental services. I suspect that this way of thinking is at the core of your dissatisfaction with dentistry.
You are spot on correct. You're exactly right that I have a false-dichotomy and that the sentiment of mountains out of molehills will not lead to clinical excellence. The problem is that I have no idea how to get rid of it. I've never had any dental care aside from orthodontics and regular cleanings. Sometimes I think if I had restorative work done on me I would have a greater appreciation for the field. You're exactly right that the feeling of dentistry as not as important as a lot of medical fields is THE core frustration I have with myself and how I feel about dentistry. I just have not been able to shake that attitude for anything... I've talked to faculty, other dentists, done volunteer work for the underserved, gone on a dental mission trip etc. Sometimes, I think it may be just one of those things I'll have to experience for myself. I've never been hospitalized either but with all the machines, emotions, and extreme urgency that is placed in those situations, its easy for me to see how it is extremely important. Then when I see my classmates or other dentists having a similar urgent and important attitude towards dentistry, I have a hard time relating to it or something.... I just don't know for the life of me how to change that way of thinking. Any ideas?

You have a hard time seeing the importance of teeth... ???I hope maybe this is just a statement you didn't think about well before writing this. Treating people who don't actually have teeth wish they had taken care of the ones they had. If the statement is true I think its sad you feel this way.

You have a hard time seeing the importance of teeth... ???I hope maybe this is just a statement you didn't think about well before writing this. Treating people who don't actually have teeth wish they had taken care of the ones they had. If the statement is true I think its sad you feel this way.
Its not so much that teeth aren't important, its that they just aren't critical. I just keep thinking, if you remove all 32 of them, its more of an inconvenience than a vital health problem. There are no systemic impacts if you take out the teeth and so its hard for me to see them as important. I know that sounds ridiculous and believe me, I wish I did not think or feel like that. Its extremely, extremely frustrating because I don't feel like I'm helping anyone. Unless the patient is in pain, if they have any sort of other medical problem, that problem gets addressed before dentistry so its hard for me to not see dentistry as pretty low on the medical totem pole. I really, really wish I didn't see it that way though.... it would make being in dental school 100 times easier.

Its not so much that teeth aren't important, its that they just aren't critical. I just keep thinking, if you remove all 32 of them, its more of an inconvenience than a vital health problem. There are no systemic impacts if you take out the teeth and so its hard for me to see them as important. I know that sounds ridiculous and believe me, I wish I did not think or feel like that. Its extremely, extremely frustrating because I don't feel like I'm helping anyone. Unless the patient is in pain, if they have any sort of other medical problem, that problem gets addressed before dentistry so its hard for me to not see dentistry as pretty low on the medical totem pole. I really, really wish I didn't see it that way though.... it would make being in dental school 100 times easier.

I feel for you, honestly. You need to speak to someone that has no teeth and how terrible the quality of life is. Self-esteem, eating, showing affections etc. I have a patient who is a veteran that served our country for many years. During active duty she was hit by an RPG. She no longer has teeth and lost majority of her maxilla. She is depressed and sad that she can't even have a denture. Dentures suck, but she wants one. So for you to say that teeth aren't critical is very insensitive and naive. If you truly feel this way pull someones teeth who you know personally and ask how they like being edentulous.

I feel for you, honestly. You need to speak to someone that has no teeth and how terrible the quality of life is. Self-esteem, eating, showing affections etc. I have a patient who is a veteran that served our country for many years. During active duty she was hit by an RPG. She no longer has teeth and lost majority of her maxilla. She is depressed and sad that she can't even have a denture. Dentures suck, but she wants one. So for you to say that teeth aren't critical is very insensitive and naive. If you truly feel this way pull someones teeth who you know personally and ask how they like being edentulous.
That's a great idea! I actually have two edentulous patients now so I'll try to sensitively talk with them about how they feel about a lack of teeth. That's a really good suggestion, I think that should definitely make a difference in my perspective. Thank you for the idea! I never thought about doing that.

Its never too late to follow your heart. I would recommend to finish Dental School. Look into Dental Anesthesiology, there are roughly a handful programs and is super competitive but if you have your eyes set on it you can make it.

Its never too late to follow your heart. I would recommend to finish Dental School. Look into Dental Anesthesiology, there are roughly a handful programs and is super competitive but if you have your eyes set on it you can make it.
Thank you so much for the encouragement! That was really nice of you to say!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! That was really nice of you to say!

To give you a little more clarification...there are 8 programs (I believe toronto dropped out of the match...and UCLA disappeared? anyone who knows more please correct this, I'm a little out of touch)

1. Jacobi (NY)
2. Lutheran (NY)
3. Wyckoff (NY)
4. Stony Brook (NY)
5. St. Barnabas (NY)
6. Ohio State
7. Loma Linda (CA)
8. Pittsburgh

There are approximately 30(ish) spots available in the Match each year. In 2014 less than half the spots were filled. I do not know the statistics for 2015. It is not competitive as a whole, given the match statistics...but the better programs can be difficult to match. The programs themselves are very distinct in training and quality.

Most graduates of these programs provide anesthesia for the patients they are performing dental procedures on...some will work in dental surgery centers...and some will become mobile providers and go office to office doing 1-6(ish) cases per day.

Given what you've said so far, the mobile provider or surgery center sounds like it might work for you. Dental anesthesia is the "specialty" furthest from operative dentistry that there is...

Do your research though. These programs are now 3 years long, and while the lifestyle can be fantastic, there are some DEFINITE and REAL DOWNSIDES to this field that you should be completely knowledgeable of before you apply