UoP Grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoWork91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any UoP grads here who thought UoP was worth 400k? I got into a few significantly cheaper schools but am wondering if the UoP 3 year program is really worth it. I'd like to hear from UoP students and graduates.

Members don't see this ad.

o_O The people in that thread are not UoP grads

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a dentist in that thread (link should have taken you to the exact post) that went to a state university for their DDS, but now works/is a resident at UOP. I thought their perspective might help you, seeing that they have attended/worked at two dental schools, one being the topic of interest.

UOP grad here. Back when it was only 200K. Which I thought was a lot back then. You have to determine what finishing a year early is worth to you financially. UOP will tell you that the three year program gives you one year more to practice on the back end, which is correct. You are paying back your loans on the front end of your career however. As has been said before school is what you make of it as well as your dental career. I would determine what getting through a year early is worth. If the other options are well below that mark I would go for those instead. If going to UOP will cost 100K more than the alternative I say the year saved is well worth it. If that number is closer to 150 to 200k I would look closer at a 4 yr program.

Last edited:
I graduated from UoP this past year and no doubt its a great school, better than most. I think the greatest factor affecting how much you will learn at a school is YOU. Self motivation is everything. An unmotivated student at UoP likely learned less than a highly motivated student at the worst dental school. I am not a fan of the location the school is moving to but hey I went there when it was in an awesome location. Going to UoP was the best decision I made financially speaking. Why? Because I took a military HPSP scholarship which was worded something to the effect of "for every year of scholarship provided, you owe the military a year of repayment." So in 6 yrs I will have gone through school and repaid all my dental school debt and have 3 years of experience as a dentist. I agree with everything chuchd303 says...

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the responses!

If I were to have gone the military route... which in hindsight would have been nice as eleven years out I still have some school debt. There is no question I would go to UOP over every other program. To be six years from the start of dental school and be school debt free is an attractive option.

I am about to graduate from UOP and I have loved my experience here. For me, having more loans in exchange for a positive dental school experience and a year more of practicing was worth it.

I just graduated from UoP in 2013 and finishing up an AEGD residency right now. If I had to do it all over again I probably would've stayed at UoP because the amount of clinical experience and instruction I received was worth the cost. Most of my classmates have been able to find work, got accepted into residencies or received some sort of scholarship. They are also moving to a new building which looks state-of the-art.