Up-to-date Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've listed to Goljan once or twice, and he keeps going off on how "boards are emphasizing X now", or "I talked to a student who just took it and he said he had Y on his test"

Problem: The lectures are from 2003. Anybody know of a resource that's more current that throws pearls like that in? Does Pathoma do it? Or where to go to get info on what sorts of 'current events' type material might be fair game?

Also, I'm getting killed on image-based questions, only because I've never seen an image of the disease in question. For example, I got a Zenker's diverticulum question. I knew what a Zenker's diverticulum was, but not what it actually looked like.

So I'm looking for either an image database or a flash card app that has clinical images (pictures of patients, gross specimens, and histology) to familiarize myself with. Anybody know anything like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Pathoma has a lot of images. There are also the Goljan image slides, which are floating around somewhere.

Pathoma and DIT are both good resources that give you an idea of what's being asked more often now, but nobody does it like Goljan.

If you don't have time for Goljian, I recommend doing the chapter on pathoma, and then flipping through all the images on that corresponding section for RR and reading the little captions.

I haven't touched Goljian and I don't plan to, but I haven't been having any trouble with the images on UW/Rx.

Webpath has a huge arsenal of path pictures with some radiographs mixed in but for board purposes, I think it's worth your while to go through Goljan's RR book and look at the pictures and even read the HY blue margin comments. I was debating in doing this or not, but if you still have a month+ for Step 1, it's actually a really good review IMO. A lot of the pictures I was able to guess right from seeing something similar in class or from desricptions and the HY margin notes are also really good at jogging my memory of stuff that pathoma/FA might not have mentioned. Although I never actually ended up reading RR at all, the style wasn't for me.