update letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orphn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i was wondering if update letters should only be submitted if there's something that adds significantly to your application or if schools expect/appreciate update letters even if the letter is just an update on grades and continuation of the activities you listed on your amcas. since i've just been doing my same ECs my update letter would only contain new grades/a few extra activities i did for my ECs. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Also, can someone give an idea of what these letters generally look like and who they go to (snail mail or email, dean or admissions committee)? If you want to add an additional LOR do you send it as part of the update or go back to the AMCAS letter service?

impulse, for the first part of your question:
For an Update Letter Format, I suggest something like this:
Should not exceed one page. I would address it to the Admissions Committee. I feel a snail-mail letter is more formal, and thus preferred, but either will do the job. Don't do a simultaneous e-mail.

(If appropriate, start with expressing appreciation for the honor of your recent interview.)

Say you want them to be aware of updates pertinent to your application in case it may help them make a decision on your file:
a. You might give your fall/spring GPA depending on the time of year, perhaps mentioning some classes specifically relevant to med school.
b. Tell them any newly begun activities and any accomplishments (pubs)or ongoing-activity with additional hours since you submitted (only the important stuff).

You might close with why their school is perfect for you, trying to mesh with the school's mission statement. Say you look forward to hearing from them in the future regarding interview or acceptance as appropriate.

Then sign your name.​

Members don't see this ad :)
To tack on what Cat said, it can depend on what school as to what method to transmit the letter by. One of the schools I applied to said that if you had submitted a 2ndary, but had not interviewed, send the update via email. If you had interviewed, they wanted it via snail mail.

Agreed with the above - keep it brief, professional .

As a note: Drafting some of my own right now (couple new activities/grades). I know there are some schools that do not accept these letters, but discovering which ones do not is a bit of an adventure. I have just been wading through websites. Although I remember some schools stating they do no accept updates, I have not been able to find this information on these schools websites. Any suggestions? Suppose I could always just call every school...