UPDATED WAMC (MD + DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavbla

Reaction score
I posted here a couple months ago (applied last cycle without any II) and have since changed some things to target my weak areas. My list has changed quite a bit as well and I wanted to see what others thought about my chances. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

1. cGPA: 3.92 and sGPA: 3.81
  2. MCAT score: 508 (127/127/127/127)
  3. State of residence: FL
  4. White
  5. Undergraduate institution: state school (B.S. in psychology)
  6. Clinical experience
    • 190 hrs volunteer medical responder
    • 1500 hrs medical scribe in ED
    • 350 hrs EMT
    • 3200 hrs medical assistant at primary care office
    • 150 hrs medical scribe/office assistant at endoscopy center (current job)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • 400 hrs total as research assistant in 2 labs (speech communication + clinical neuroscience lab)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 18 hrs colorectal surgeon, 7 hrs GI, 7 hrs general surgeon, 7 hrs heme/onc, 10 hrs PM&R + 7hr pediatric PM&R (I worked 1.5 yrs as a MA for a primary dr so didn’t reach out for shadowing in this area)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering (by the time I submit)
    • 50 hrs English language tutoring
    • 100 hrs homeless shelter
    • 100 hrs crisis text line
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    • 65 hrs college club
    • Cooking
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • Freshman scholarship, Dean’s and President’s list
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    • I have only 1 science professor LOR and have adjusted my list so 2 are not needed
    • I applied last cycle to only MD schools and didn't receive any II
Florida State University
University of Florida
University of Central Florida
Florida Atlantic University
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Georgetown
Rush
Uni of Illinois
Albany
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
New England
Western
Campbell JMW CUSOM
Marian MUCOM
Pacific Northwest
Edward Via
AZCOM
CCOM
NYITCOM
OSUCOM

Possible: Tufts, Loyola, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Toledo

I’ll probably end up removing some of these schools from my list but I want to make sure what I have now looks good.

Members don't see this ad.

With your stats you should have by pure luck rec'd at least an invite in the previous cycle unless you grossly underapplied. I wonder if, despite having all of these medical hours, you could not convince one or more physicians to write you substantial letters? That might not be your fault; they might simply need some guidance. You have decent stats and checked all the boxes, so I would dig for red flags. I'm concerned that you are altering your list instead of picking up a second science letter. Science letters at a state school are generally easy to get if you get good grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
With your stats you should have by pure luck rec'd at least an invite in the previous cycle unless you grossly underapplied. I wonder if, despite having all of these medical hours, you could not convince one or more physicians to write you substantial letters? That might not be your fault; they might simply need some guidance. You have decent stats and checked all the boxes, so I would dig for red flags. I'm concerned that you are altering your list instead of picking up a second science letter. Science letters at a state school are generally easy to get if you get good grades.

I probably should have mentioned this, but last cycle I had 0 non-clinical volunteering, 0 shadowing, a bad list (realized after I posted here a couple months ago), and I was struggling to turn in secondaries within a 2 week timeframe due to burnout/working full time. In the past 3-4 months I quit my full time job, started working part time and focused on volunteering/shadowing/pre-writing. I’m assuming this is why I didn’t get any II. I have 5 LORs (chemistry prof, psychology + research prof, clinical volunteer supervisor, and 2 Drs I worked with as a scribe and MA) and I know at least 2/5 are good letters but you’re right I’ll see if I can also get another science LOR.

I probably should have mentioned this, but last cycle I had 0 non-clinical volunteering, 0 shadowing, a bad list (realized after I posted here a couple months ago), and I was struggling to turn in secondaries within a 2 week timeframe due to burnout/working full time. In the past 3-4 months I quit my full time job, started working part time and focused on volunteering/shadowing/pre-writing. I’m assuming this is why I didn’t get any II. I have 5 LORs (chemistry prof, psychology + research prof, clinical volunteer supervisor, and 2 Drs I worked with as a scribe and MA) and I know at least 2/5 are good letters but you’re right I’ll see if I can also get another science LOR.

ok, that makes more sense then. I imagine those issues got you auto-screened at a lot of programs. It sounds like you are in a better place now though.