UPenn to buy PCP/USP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincessSparkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever since Ive been at this school, Ive always heard stories about how UPenn has been trying to buy out USP's pharmacy school, and everytime the school refuses to sell. ( This was also confirmed by multiple faculty members)

Rumors are starting to run rampant now that once again, UPenn has made an offer. My questions are:
1) Does anyone know if this is true?
and 2) Why wont USP sell out? USP would only benefit if it was bought out by an ivy league school ( we might actually have a real campus!), not mention give the school ivy league status.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Ever since Ive been at this school, Ive always heard stories about how UPenn has been trying to buy out USP's pharmacy school, and everytime the school refuses to sell. ( This was also confirmed by multiple faculty members)

Rumors are starting to run rampant now that once again, UPenn has made an offer. My questions are:
1) Does anyone know if this is true?
and 2) Why wont USP sell out? USP would only benefit if it was bought out by an ivy league school ( we might actually have a real campus!), not mention give the school ivy league status.

Any thoughts?

USP may not benefit as much as you think. It is the oldest college of pharmacy in the US. People nationwide recognize the PCP name, so being a part of Penn might not be so beneficial. Also, maybe it won't be as easy for donors to target their donations toward the college of pharmacy if it's a part of Penn? Not sure.

Also not sure if it's true. Also it probably makes no difference for the students aside from the increased tuition that will come as a result of being a part of Penn.

USP may not benefit as much as you think. It is the oldest college of pharmacy in the US. People nationwide recognize the PCP name, so being a part of Penn might not be so beneficial. Also, maybe it won't be as easy for donors to target their donations toward the college of pharmacy if it's a part of Penn? Not sure.

Also not sure if it's true. Also it probably makes no difference for the students aside from the increased tuition that will come as a result of being a part of Penn.

Hmm good point, but if pcp was bought out, couldnt it still be called pcp? ( Kind of like wharton)

I only thought it would be beneficial bc it would actually give us ivy league status and a real campus ( access to more resources: places to eat, libraries, etc). Never thought about the donor situation though.

Members don't see this ad :)
if anything, penn would want the land/buildings for its own expansion

faculty might resist out of fear of losing their job in the merger

Do you know what's the easiest and simpliest way to make money in the pharmacy field?

Open up a pharmacy school.

Each student pays $30K+ a year, you don't have lab costs, just need 1 lecturer in front.

Look at the new schools opening up all across the country, you think they are doing it for the profession or some other higher calling besides $$$$.

If they join UPenn, money would have to be split with the main campus, not just the pharmacy school.. that's the main reason.

There are plenty of pharmacy schools that keep the rest of the school profitable.. plenty...

honestly, i think upenn is too good to take on a pharmacy program. ivy league schools don't operate pharmacy schools.

lmao

I could just imagine all of the city college of pharmacy dorks trying to get their degrees reprinted with University of Pennsylvania on the thing so they can say they went to an Ivy League school.

It would be fine with me, too. I could then say I outperform many Ivy League graduates.

honestly, i think upenn is too good to take on a pharmacy program. ivy league schools don't operate pharmacy schools.

Imagine if it did happen...virtually overnight, a 1120 on the SAT is suddenly good enough to get into a doctoral-level program at an Ivy League school.

I saw this thread and spoke to someone fairly high up at Name of the Week University- this was news to them. I suspect that this is the same old rumor that has been kicking around since the 1970s and nothing new of late.

I saw this thread and spoke to someone fairly high up at Name of the Week University

Haha good nickname. I should start calling it that from now on. It keeps having an identity crisis.

...and Harvard is trying to buy MCPHS

I'll believe it when it happens.