UPenn v/s UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I got accepted into both UCSF and UPenn and am having a hard time deciding which program to go for...I would appreciate if all of you folks can give me some suggestions and reasons to select one over the other. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys...I got accepted into both UCSF and UPenn and am having a hard time deciding which program to go for...I would appreciate if all of you folks can give me some suggestions and reasons to select one over the other. Thanks so much.

you are in such an enviable position right now...hope you know that :D...congrats though :thumbup:
according to me upenn is good if you care about the ivy league tag ..but you will enjoy your time at ucsf and learn too...upenn will be kind of serious learning only is what i have heard....actually I have a friend at ucsf with whom I have discussed almost every college at some point or the other...

you are in such an enviable position right now...hope you know that :D...congrats though :thumbup:
according to me upenn is good if you care about the ivy league tag ..but you will enjoy your time at ucsf and learn too...upenn will be kind of serious learning only is what i have heard....actually I have a friend at ucsf with whom I have discussed almost every college at some point or the other...
I realise that and thank you for the wishes. It is just really tough to decide between these two schools...I was wondering if you would be able to contact your friend reagrding this so that I can also get a fairly good idea. I have been discussing around and that is what I have heard....UCSF is relaxed compared to Penn and you can do your own thing whereas Penn has a rather rigorous curriculum but both the programs are equally good.....so it has become really tough to choose.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats!! You should contact current students at both schools ask them when they start clinic, do they get assistants while working and what type of dental work they are getting etc. Don't just listen from one side or person who isn't studying there. Ask for friends of friends you will definitely find someone.

The deadline for the deposit payment has crossed at ucsf right. I am asking you this question because i have been waitlisted at ucsf, buffalo and usc. I was wondering if you have paid the deposit at both the schools. I know a friend who has paid at usc and buffalo. I just wanted to know this coz that will keep my hopes high. Thank you so much in advance. Sorry if i am intruding too much!

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Can u plz share ur clinical experience u hold before applyg to schools...really need to knw to refine my application for next year ...thanks...

Congrats!! You should contact current students at both schools ask them when they start clinic, do they get assistants while working and what type of dental work they are getting etc. Don't just listen from one side or person who isn't studying there. Ask for friends of friends you will definitely find someone.
Thank you so much for the pointers...I will start looking into that.

The deadline for the deposit payment has crossed at ucsf right. I am asking you this question because i have been waitlisted at ucsf, buffalo and usc. I was wondering if you have paid the deposit at both the schools. I know a friend who has paid at usc and buffalo. I just wanted to know this coz that will keep my hopes high. Thank you so much in advance. Sorry if i am intruding too much!
I did pay the deposit at both the places and will decide sooner rather than later where I am going.

Hey guys,
Can u plz share ur clinical experience u hold before applyg to schools...really need to knw to refine my application for next year ...thanks...
Ok... I have 1 year clinical experience from India after internship, completed my MPH here, 3 research papers and close to 2 years of observership/preceptorship here in the US. Hope this helps.

How is it that you have visited and interviewed at schools but cannot decide where you want to go? You are smart enough to get into great schools, but for a decision, you need to ask someone? Everyone is different so they will give you varying opinions. When you know the programs are good, look at cost of living and other factors. Only you can decide.

Ok... I have 1 year clinical experience from India after internship, completed my MPH here, 3 research papers and close to 2 years of observership/preceptorship here in the US. Hope this helps.
That's great ...lot of work nice...:) ..do u have any work experience here n USA ..

How is it that you have visited and interviewed at schools but cannot decide where you want to go? You are smart enough to get into great schools, but for a decision, you need to ask someone? Everyone is different so they will give you varying opinions. When you know the programs are good, look at cost of living and other factors. Only you can decide.
I am just asking for an opinion here that's all....it's not that my decision is solely going to be based on what is said here. I have asked for some opinions just to get an idea that's all. Thank you for all the suggestions and that is all I was asking for...nothing else was required. I am smart enough to get into these schools and make the decision where I need to go.

That's great ...lot of work nice...:) ..do u have any work experience here n USA ..
Since I did my MPH....I have about 2 years of research work experience here together with all the observerships here. I also have had some patient interaction over the past year since I have been working as a dental/lab assistant for the past year.

@ddsrocks....Did u finally decide which school you're gonna choose???? :)