UPitt or Drexel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kyra4dpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any students out there that can provide some insight? I loved my visit/interview at Drexel, but haven't gone to UPitt yet. I have been accepted to both. UPitt is a highly ranked program and has the third year scholarship, but Drexel's program is on the quarter system, so you're done in 2.5 years. I am interested in research, which goes on at both schools. Money is an issue. Drexel is slightly less expensive, but UPitt offers the 3rd year scholarship.

Any thoughts from those in either program would be so appreciated!
:D:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Kyra,

What are the details about the 3rd year scholarship at Pitt? I have heard about it but I don't know specifics.... I am going to be deciding between Pitt and Chatham. I am really sold on Chatham's program, so hopefully we will get some insight into Pitts program from some ppl on this thread!

Thanks!

Kyra,

What are the details about the 3rd year scholarship at Pitt? I have heard about it but I don't know specifics.... I am going to be deciding between Pitt and Chatham. I am really sold on Chatham's program, so hopefully we will get some insight into Pitts program from some ppl on this thread!

Thanks!
Shanna,

Per UPitt's website, "UPMC has further offered to pay stipends on the order of one-third the rate of an entry-level salary during the one-year, full-time internship that is the culminating experience of the entry-level professional educational program." Per an earlier post from last year (I think), the monthly stipend/scholarship was $1250, assuming the poster was correct. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished by second semester at PITT, so maybe I can help you with some questions. You are right about the 3rd year scholarship. Its a partnership with UPMC/CRS that pays you 1250/month I believe, however because of that you need to do it either at UPMC or CRS. As a matter of fact, all of your clinicals will be through them! Some people like that, some not so much. So it depends on you. Personally, I really like that.

I know nothing about Drexel, but if you are interested in research PITT is the place for you! The research done here is known worldwide as top notch, so are the faculty that does it. During your 3rd clinical (2nd year summer) you have the opportunity to work on research instead of another clinical if you would like. Oh and it is a paid opportunity by the way:)

However, all schools have its pros and cons, which ties closely to your personal goals. Before you make any decision visit and/or find out more about both schools. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Hi,

I am in my 3rd year at Drexel, soon to go on my last clinical affil. You should PM me if you have any questions about the program.

One thing that I would have liked to know from the interview that they didn't tell us was that you have to do one (of four) clinicals at least 100 miles away from the city. Depending on your situation, this may or may not be a problem but it could potentially drive up housing costs if you do not have friends/relatives in other parts of the country. However, a few sites do offer free housing.

Overall, it was not a bad experience. There were things I would have liked to have changed but I don't think there is a school out there that is perfect. For what its worth, Drexel does hold meetings with students as a group once per quarter to allow them to discuss things that are going well or not so well. From talking to the current 2nd year students, some scheduling issues we were having have improved.