UPMC vs Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I had done a similar post for opinions between c/c and UPMC which was super helpful. I figured I'd try it again.

I am from the East Coast so neither are too close to home but offer arguably the best training in the county so I am having a hard time choosing between the two. Any insight would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have frigophobia? If not...unless you have geographic restriction...I can't see why anyone wouldn't rank Mayo #1, especially if they want to do outpatient PM&R.

Note that I am very bias on this topic. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Pittsburgh is going to have far more as a city along with better sports opportunities if you're into that. If you're ok with Rochester, the outpatient training at Mayo is obviously excellent, but really nothing that you can't get at UPMC. You're pretty much comparing two stars here and asking which one is hotter (which I know you realize, hence the question); it's a good problem to have, but I think in the end you just need to look at what sort of opportunities you want to be exposed to during training, and where you'd rather live if that has any effect on your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are very good programs. Visited both, and felt that UPMC is more well balanced and you will get both good inpatient and outpatient training.

Mayo is a weird one. Yes their outpatient training is awesome, but their inpatient leaves something to be desired, especially for such a top tier program. We took a 3 hour tour, and all the inpatient rehab beds were empty. It is a great program, but geography aside, there are plenty of reasons to rank other programs ahead of it. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Pittsburgh seems like a somewhat depressing city though. I can't see why some people think it is so great. It looks old, gray, and kinda down. Rochester may have nothing else besides some hospitals, but at least it looks kinda happy.

I think also a good point that gets lost sometimes is that in the end after 3 years of residency at either of these programs, you will spend 25-30 years doing whatever you want, wherever you want, as an attending.

Reactions: 1 user