Upper Level BCP Courses for Low-GPA students (< 3.0)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianCurry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just procrastinating from studying for Dental Biochem... but figured I'd check in and address a few more messages I've received about GPA repair.

Can't believe I haven't thought of this but I've talked to several classmates (and upper level D3's and D4's) here at Buffalo in the precarious position of coming back from a <3.0 science GPA weighed in at 100+ credits. Figured I would share some advice which might be helpful, though a little time and $$$ consuming for sure.

I am from the tri-state area, and so I have access to CUNY AND SUNY institutions, both that allow students (non-degree and degree seeking students) to take courses at an in-state rate. One of my classmates ended up taking multiple variations of upper level Genetics and Physiology at different institutions. For example, after completing an upper level Physiology course at CUNY, you can go on to take another version of physiology with a different course name (read: Mammalian Physiology) at another institution. There is a significant amount of overlap in these courses and in fact almost identical. Dental school admissions committees are just looking that you excel in upper-level courses; they really don't have the time to determine whether or not the courses you take are similar/almost identical in course information. Another example brought up to me during our conversation was taking a Foundation in Genetics course in one institution, then taking a Gene Expression course or its variant at another institution. Again, almost identical courses. The reason you need to take this action in multiple institutions: a lot of the time, schools will prohibit students from taking very similar courses for whatever reason - limited resources, instructors, class size and classrooms, etc.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM or reply to this message. I feel compelled to share as much as I can after this forum has helped me through a hopeless time. I must say: Buffalo loves students with comeback stories, career changers, i.e., students who have shown maturity over the years - if you belong in any of these categories - I highly recommend you apply here! I believe the mean age here is 25 for this class. A few students ended up leaving pharmacy or physical therapy school to study dentistry, which were unique stories also. Anyway, good luck with applications everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
isn't this considered blatant GPA padding?

i dont think adcoms have the time to evaluate all these things. maybe only the obvious, like if you took cooking 101 or nutrition lol