Upward GPA trend! But I have a few questions (sorry if this is long-winded).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slim Tastyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm finishing up my undergrad at a mid-level private college in MA (majoring in molecular biology). I had ~2.65 GPA up until I transferred from a business college my sophomore year. Now my cumulative is looking to be around 3.45 with a slightly higher science GPA than that (~3.7). I'm taking the MCAT very seriously and have a solid study-guide for 4 months of 6-8 hour study days with no other focuses. But, I've always been a VERY strong tester, so I'm expecting ~515 if not a bit higher (I don't need a lecture on the naivety of expecting to do so well on the MCAT).

-Quick thing! If you want to throw a serious answer down on any of these questions, please provide a source for your information so it can be contextualized (or at least how you know). We should all know the value of sources by now :)-
  1. So I'm wondering what medical schools (if any) you think I may have a good shot at? This could be a specific school, tier of schools, or a more general answer (MD only please). I'm asking because I can't gauge how well a school will weigh my upward trend in grades compared to my weak cumulative GPA.
  2. I'd also like to hear what improvements you might think I could realistically make in ~1 year before I send out applications?
  3. Also, I have shadowed one ER doctor for a day (like 10 hours), but from what I gather my shadowing exposure is pretty weak compared to most applicants. How do you get so much shadowing experience without hounding your doctor?
  4. Volunteering! I know the first thing that will pop out to people is not hospital volunteering hours. I am planning on squeezing in as much as I can after graduation and before application. Any recommendation on volunteer positions (duties) I should try for?
  5. Lastly, since transferring (and getting my head out of my ass), I've had great grades across a ton of subjects. But, I'm afraid my strengths (in terms of experience) are only showing really well within the realm of the sciences. Any advice on how that might effect a decision to admit me (or perhaps ways to improve this)?
Some additional info:
  • 2 years non-stop of undergrad research (Biology: researching a cure for a fungal pathogen)
  • 1 year of another undergrad research project with a different professor (Biochemistry: cancer research)
  • 1 year of a third undergraduate research project (phage DNA stuff)
  • 2 internships in Analytical Chemical Research and Development for a pharmaceutical company (character references available from both)
  • 2 weeks of volunteering in Uganda (for FIMRC)
  • Head of a pre-vet,dental,and med club
  • 2 (maybe 3) publications dealing with my research projects
  • 3 presentations at various (non-undergrad) conferences
  • I'm a white male. No affirmative action breaks here.
So I think overall I'd be a pretty strong applicant (feel free to inform me otherwise). But, that 3.45 GPA is the bane of my existence and makes me supremely unsure about what schools I could have a chance at.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Asking for your chances without an MCAT score is a useless exercise.

Get an MCAT score, and from there you can go. There are many people successful every year in medical school admission with your relative GPA's 3.45/3.7, particularly those with a recent showing of excellence over several semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for your chances without an MCAT score is a useless exercise.

Get an MCAT score, and from there you can go. There are many people successful every year in medical school admission with your relative GPA's 3.45/3.7, particularly those with a recent showing of excellence over several semesters.

Solid point. A good MCAT--and it sounds like you'll do fine, if not 'good'--will help balance out your slightly low GPA. Also keep DO as an option in mind if you don't feel confident in MD schools; in my (uneducated) opinion though, you should be confident applying to MD schools.

edit: forgot to add... good luck

Thanks for the quick reply!
I understand that MCAT is huge but I'm confident in my target score if not higher. So I really wanted to work under the assumption that my MCAT is around 515.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I understand that MCAT is huge but I'm confident in my target score if not higher. So I really wanted to work under the assumption that my MCAT is around 515.

Kaplan told me 512+ is competitive, so use that as you will.