UQ 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abayaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to the traditional UQ in Australia for 2016? Anyone know when the application cycle opens up and what's the earliest date one could expect to hear back from admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I've sent in my application to UQ for 2016, I don't know when the application cycle officially opens because I applied through an agency and I don't know when you can hear back either. sorry to be of so little help lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying to the traditional UQ in Australia for 2016? Anyone know when the application cycle opens up and what's the earliest date one could expect to hear back from admissions?

Just got accepted to the traditional UQ. I don't know if that's "earliest date" but I hope that helps.

Hello, I don't know the earliest date. But I got accepted for the 2016 traditional UQ MD program. Which student loans did you guys apply to? Thanks!

It opens up in April until it's filled. Deadline is some time in June. It's on their website.

It opens up in April until it's filled. Deadline is some time in June. It's on their website.

I don't think there is a deadline for applying. Like you said, they will accept until the class is filled.

I think the class can be filled before the deadline, but read their websites carefully. They do state a deadline.

I got accepted to the traditional UQ about a week ago, so it seems like offers are starting to come out. I applied last year around the end of September or early October (can't remember exactly) for 2015 entry, through Degrees Overseas because I was told there were still some spots open. However, not too long after I applied I was informed that all the spots had been filled and they were going to consider my application for 2016 entry, so I don't think they are too stringent on the deadline.

I'm a Canadian student applying to traditional UQ MD program. I recently got an offer without any interview. I'm wondering if this is normal? Thank you.

I'm a Canadian student applying to traditional UQ MD program. I recently got an offer without any interview. I'm wondering if this is normal? Thank you.

Yes, thats normal. Only UQ-O has an interview (and as of this year for the first time). The traditional UQ program still does not do interviews.

Do you mind sharing your stats (eg. MCAT)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I just got accepted to the 4 year in Australia MD program as an US citizen. Our deposit to accept the program is 8 thousand dollars and I received a call that rather than having 60 days to accept my offer that the email stated, instead the school wanted me to decide by the end of this week. Before I made this decision I was wondering if anyone knew the match rate for this school into American residencies? I know UQ Oschner has very impressive match rate of 90%+ but the average US IMG match rate to residency is around 50%. Is UQ 4 year traditional closer to the 90%+ or the 50%? I would like to know before I make such a commitment.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a precedent in US citizens migrating to Australia to do their residencies there and become physicians?

Hey I just got accepted to the 4 year in Australia MD program as an US citizen. Our deposit to accept the program is 8 thousand dollars and I received a call that rather than having 60 days to accept my offer that the email stated, instead the school wanted me to decide by the end of this week. Before I made this decision I was wondering if anyone knew the match rate for this school into American residencies? I know UQ Oschner has very impressive match rate of 90%+ but the average US IMG match rate to residency is around 50%. Is UQ 4 year traditional closer to the 90%+ or the 50%? I would like to know before I make such a commitment.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a precedent in US citizens migrating to Australia to do their residencies there and become physicians?

What made you decide on regular 4 year program instead of UQ-O? And did they give you a reason why all of a sudden you only had a week to decide?

What made you decide on regular 4 year program instead of UQ-O? And did they give you a reason why all of a sudden you only had a week to decide?

I wanted to go the UQ Oschner. However my MCAT was in a very bad position. I have taken the MCAT three times. The first time I received a 30 and has expired long ago. The second time I received a 32 but was taken May 2012. The third time I took an MCAT I received a very disappointing score of 25. The minimum for UQ-Oschner is a 26.

So essentially my third Mcat was 1 point below cut off and my 2nd MCAT score was 6 months too old for cut off. I never got considered for the program.

However I received a phone call stating that the four year program may consider me and about a month later I learned I got accepted. I don't know if they considered my 32 MCAT or if my 25 MCAT was high enough for them.

(in case people ask my G.P.A. was 3.75 and I have moderate amounts of research and hospital volunteer experience as well as lab assistance and a hospital internship. I did try US MD and DO medical schools and have gotten few interviews and no acceptances).

The reason they said that I only had a week to decide was because spots are filling up and they want my answer to know if they can accept new people or not.

I wanted to go the UQ Oschner. However my MCAT was in a very bad position. I have taken the MCAT three times. The first time I received a 30 and has expired long ago. The second time I received a 32 but was taken May 2012. The third time I took an MCAT I received a very disappointing score of 25. The minimum for UQ-Oschner is a 26.

So essentially my third Mcat was 1 point below cut off and my 2nd MCAT score was 6 months too old for cut off. I never got considered for the program.

However I received a phone call stating that the four year program may consider me and about a month later I learned I got accepted. I don't know if they considered my 32 MCAT or if my 25 MCAT was high enough for them.

(in case people ask my G.P.A. was 3.75 and I have moderate amounts of research and hospital volunteer experience as well as lab assistance and a hospital internship. I did try US MD and DO medical schools and have gotten few interviews and no acceptances).

The reason they said that I only had a week to decide was because spots are filling up and they want my answer to know if they can accept new people or not.

Oh thats a huge bummer. And I'm assuming that you didn't want to retake the new one.

Do you know how many spots they hold in the regular 4 year UQ program for internationals?

There's plenty of Americans who go to Australian medical schools.

Getting out of the US and moving to Australia is the best decision you will ever make, however, UQ is NOT the right school.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to the UQ 4 year program during mid June.

Care to explain why?

Because UQ currently graduates about 3-4 times as many doctors as it needs and by the time you are ready to apply for internship there won't be any spots available for internationals, and even domestic graduates will struggle to get an internship spot. The school also fails an inordinate number of students on individual rotations which means it's very difficult to start intern year on time if you do indeed fail a term. You're better off in South Australia, Tasmania, and especially Victoria (where internationals are priority #2).

Because UQ currently graduates about 3-4 times as many doctors as it needs and by the time you are ready to apply for internship there won't be any spots available for internationals, and even domestic graduates will struggle to get an internship spot. The school also fails an inordinate number of students on individual rotations which means it's very difficult to start intern year on time if you do indeed fail a term. You're better off in South Australia, Tasmania, and especially Victoria (where internationals are priority #2).

How about trying to go back to the United States as a US IMG?

How about trying to go back to the United States as a US IMG?

I have no idea as I had no interest in returning to the US. All I know is that the USMLE is all that matters for the US so you need to be somewhere that teaches exclusively to the subject matter. Apparently the Ochsner graduates have been nailing US residencies, so thats in their favor...

This was addressed ad nauseam. UQ does not fail an "inordinate number" of students, as qldking's own offered data confirmed.

It is also not the case that UQ is in some unique situation wrt number of grads vs. spots available -- 3:1 is a massive exaggeration, and the stats suggest that NSW and Vic are comparably risky, if not more. At any rate, only ACT guarantees spots for its int'ls, while every other state will have trouble giving them all jobs. Whether there will be enough CMI (federal) spots for those without one is up in the air.

One can come up with valid reasons for choosing not to go to UQ in particular, but these are not.

Last edited:
UQ-O is not full. The last time I asked in June, it was under 50% and they expected to fill late due to the new MCAT pushing people's scores back.

Hmm, do you know how many seats they reserve for internationals in the UQ regular program? I would have thought UQ-O would have filled quicker and been more popular.

Hmm, do you know how many seats they reserve for internationals in the UQ regular program? I would have thought UQ-O would have filled quicker and been more popular.

This year it's 90, but it's been filled. I think they change according to the year.

More popular to Americans, but it's Canadians who make up virtually all of the non-Ochsner int'ls.