UQ Acceptance..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Off2Oz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, anyone with UQ acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Off2Oz said:

Yup, got mine on Wednesday. Very happy...I've been waiting for the day I get into a med school for literally 5-6 years.

Off2Oz said:
Got mine as well, any other Canadians heading there?

Members don't see this ad :)
scottgo said:
Got mine as well, any other Canadians heading there?

Yeah, I'm from Vancouver.

Got mine Wednesday too! I'm from Vancouver too! I'm still kind of shell-shocked. Totally thought I bombed the interview...

Yup, got mine on Thursday, I live 45 mins outside of Toronto. I'm really excited....now, off to the bank!

As a local student who stumbled on this am so jealous of all of you that have got uq acceptance letters us local kids don't get them for another month

Me, too, got an offer last Friday. I am from Toronto. Looking forward to meeting you guys there.

Congratulations guys...... Let the games begin.

wow, good for you, guys, everybody who ve got an admission! There is already a great canadian bunch at UQ. I met some a few 2 months ago when I was in Brisbane. Nice campus and I liked the city, definately see myself settling down there for the next 4-5 years.
( I am from Mississauga, also just 30 min outside Toronto).
I think I was the first person to have an interview at UQ, which was in the end of August. I hope to hear from them too.
My MCat scores come out this Friday, so I guess no decision till then - so nerve wrecking.
Guys, those of you that got admission, how competitive were MCAT scores?
Thanks,
Daria

wow, good for you, guys, everybody that ve got an admission! There is already a great canadian bunch at UQ. I met a few 2 months ago when I was in Brisbane. Nice campus and I liked the city, definately see myself settling down there for the next 4-5 years.
( I am from Mississauga, also just 30 min outside Toronto).
I think I was the first person to have an interview at UQ, which was in the end of August. I hope to hear from them too.
My MCat scores come out this Friday, so I guess no decision till then - so nerve wrecking.
Guys, those of you that got admission, how competitive were MCAT scores?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
To all those people that have received an acceptance letter from UQ - CONGRATULATIONS! For those of you that are still waiting, I completely understand the agnst and constant email checking that you are going through. Remember, not to give up hope!

I am an MBBS I student at UQ, and I am originally from Calgary, Canada. I have also been this year's international student representative for the MBBS I. If you have any questions about the programme and where Canadians fit into the whole scheme of things then by all means, just send send me a private message or email me. I can't guarantee very quick replies at the moment because the MBBS I have our final exams in about 1.5 weeks (so much stuff to know, so little time).

If there is anyone from Calgary (and environs) that will be heading down to Brisbane in January and would like to get more information about what life is like here, then let me know. I will be in Calgary on December 20th for a few weeks before coming back to Brisbane. Once again, just send me a private message/email and we can organise a get together or something.

Once again, congratulations to all those that have been accepted and I hope to see you next year!

yeah, congratulations guys! :D

unfortunately i am still waiting. but i wanted to know from those of you that have heard if you heard through email or mail. thanks, hopefully i will hear something soon.

childofthe80s said:
unfortunately i am still waiting. but i wanted to know from those of you that have heard if you heard through email or mail. thanks, hopefully i will hear something soon.

I received an email on Oct. 5th and then a package in the mail (via courier) on Oct. 13th.

sedination said:
Yup, got mine on Wednesday. Very happy...I've been waiting for the day I get into a med school for literally 5-6 years.

lol. I just read this reply. I've been applying on and off since 1998. =)

What the heck took us so long?! :D

Hello Everyone:

I am new to the fourm. I wanted to ask if anyone has heard anything from UQ since the first round of admissions? The wait is really killing me. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I got in !!!!!

I just received my e-mail confirmation today!...I was so scared that they won't accpet me, after all the bad luck. I was waitlisted for Flinders and UBC but didn't get into either. Finally I won't be called Mr Waitlist who don't get in anymore.I'm scared and excited. Scared of being kicked out of med,..what is the attrition rate?? scared of not passing USMLE, scared of living in a new environment. Excited of course...no need to say the reasons.

I was thinking of apply to SGU for admissions next year. Now I really need have to think about this. I know all the pros/cons of both sides. But really, what are the chances of obtaining a specialty position in Australia? Should I apply for aussi PR right now in hopes that I don't need to go through the 10 year rule? Clinicals I'll try to do them in the US. Another question that I have is taking USMLE 1. With all the other exams that the students have, how do they find the time to study and prepare for this in their 2nd year?

Thanks..and really looking forward meeting many of you in Queensland...

:) :) :) :)

I just received my acceptance letter last night as well! I am totally excited but I know there is still a lot of stuff to get doen before school begins. Has anyone looked into accomodations yet? If so, what area are you looking in? Any iinformation would be helpful!

Thanks,
CA

Any idea what's the cost of living there per year, assuming I'm frugal?

Is there any loan in Australia for international (non-US) students?

Hello:

I am planning to find a place on campus the first year that sells tickets for meals instead of the full year package. Any ideas? Which places are quiet??? I'm a guy so I can ignore the female only ones..hahah. By the way for internations, when are you planning to be there? I was thinking of Jan 6-10 to have enough time to settle down. Any ideas?

In terms of finance, I haven't started yet so I can't say for sure. My estimate is this.....35,000AUD tuition; 12,000AUD for room/food; 10,000 AUD Airfare/living expenses/spending/books...with the strong AUD, I think it will come to a littler over 50000CAD/year for Canadians.

Actually can we apply for Canadian Student loans? I think we can get 6,000/year this way. Nothing significant comapring to 50000, but at least something. Also I understand some banks can give out loans. For me I will need family support/student loan/private borrowing.

http://www.accommodation.uq.edu.au/index.html?id=25639

Cromwell College
Current vacancies for semester 2, 2005
Accepting applications for 2006
Cromwell College has short term and summer semester accommodation from 5th December 2005 until 15th February 2006. In second semester 2005 Cromwell College will have four ensuited air-conditioned rooms available for students and visitors. The College is home to 200 undergraduates, graduates and visitors and Campus Lodge, 48. The College Principal seeks applicants who wish to be part of a close community who are willing to use adult freedom in a responsible manner. Cromwell is affiliated with the Uniting Church and has a beautiful chapel where a voluntary student-led service is held each week. Click here for a list of room types available.
More details
Apply

Duchesne College
Duchesne College is a women's Catholic college which accepts female students from all denominations and backgrounds. Facilities include air-conditioned tutorial and music rooms, a chapel, library, and computer workstations.
More details
Apply

Emmanuel College
Emmanuel College is a co-educational college which accommodates 340 students. The College offers academic and pastoral care support in addition to full board accommodation. Facilities include telephone and Internet access from all rooms, common rooms, gymnasium, squash courts, music practice rooms and a recreation area on the riverbank. The College has links to both the Presbyterian Church and Uniting Church in Australia.
More details
Apply

International House
One current vacancy for semester 2, 2005
International House is a co-educational, non-religious college. Facilities include spacious bed/study rooms, many common rooms, a games room, TV/video lounge, computer lab and tropical gardens.
Limited numbers of post-graduate rooms are also available.
More details
Apply

King's College
King's College is an all-male residential college accommodating over 250 residents. The College provides standard or ensuite fully furnished single study/bedrooms with telephone/internet access from all rooms. College facilties include a computer lab, common rooms, large screen TV with cable, laundry facilities, meals catering for vegetarian and other dietary requirements, swimming pool, volleyball court, half-court basketball court, rowing shed/pontoon, extensively equipped gym, pastoral care and academic support.
More details
Apply

St Leo's College
Accepting applications for 2006 - Year-long applications preferred
St Leo's College is a men's Catholic college which accepts male students from all denominations and backgrounds. Facilities include air-conditioned tutorial and music rooms, a chapel, library, and computer workstations.
More details
Apply

Union College
Union College is a co-educational college. Facilities include a well set-up gym, outdoor barbeque and courtyard area, open fire place and a billiard room, as well as tutorial programs and group study areas.
More details
Apply

The Women's College
Accepting applications for 2006 - Year-long applications only
Women's College provides 190 single study bedrooms for undergraduate and postgraduate women of all ages, races and religious denominations. Facilities include a library/reading room, music practice rooms, a computer lab, a tennis court, tutorial and group-study rooms, and a theatre for drama, music performance, debating, and student club meetings.
More Details
Apply

Campus Lodge
Accepting applications for 2006 - Successful applications announced in November
Campus Lodge is a part of Cromwell College and provides unit-style self-catering accommodation. Students occupy their own room and share lounge room, kitchen and bathroom facilities with three other residents. Bedrooms are individually keyed and contain internet connections and phone lines.
More details
Apply

Congrats silverfish and canaussie! I got my acceptance last Thursday as well, and I have decided to accept the offer.

Silverfish, I believe the attrition rate at UQ is low... No need to worry! I'm sure many of us will be writing the USMLE, so we can study for it together!

Canaussie, I am also looking into accommodations right now. I think I'll try to find accommodations off campus in Toowong. What about you?

Pollux said:
Congrats silverfish and canaussie! I got my acceptance last Thursday as well, and I have decided to accept the offer.

Silverfish, I believe the attrition rate at UQ is low... No need to worry! I'm sure many of us will be writing the USMLE, so we can study for it together!

Canaussie, I am also looking into accommodations right now. I think I'll try to find accommodations off campus in Toowong. What about you?

Hey guys, let me know how things go - I'm sorta focusing on all the immunisation/visa/$$$ side of things now, but I'll definitely welcome opinions on housing. =)

Whew. Finally got financing in order. I'm going to Brizzie in January as well. Good to see there'll be lots of Canucks there to miss the snow with.. =)

Congrats Pollux!!

Thanks for your info on attrition rate。It is nice to meet so many of you already!! We'll definitely have a big study group for the USMLE. How do we apply for student visa? Do we have to go to the consulate to do that?

Off2Oz. You're from Vancouver?

silverfish said:
Congrats Pollux!!

Thanks for your info on attrition rate。It is nice to meet so many of you already!! We'll definitely have a big study group for the USMLE. How do we apply for student visa? Do we have to go to the consulate to do that?

Off2Oz. You're from Vancouver?

Nope. Southern Ontario. After you accept their offer, they send you a confirmation of enrollment (COE). I'm guessing there are instructions on what to do next after that. I think you can just do it all over the web..

I'm in Calgary right now but I'll be in Vancouver around the holidays before heading down to Brisbane. I'm thinking I'll probably head down around the first week of January. As far as accomodation goes I'm looking at renting a room in Toowong or Taringa (you have to love these Aussie names). As far as money goes RBC offers a $150,000 line of credit for med students so I'm planning on going in to talk to them in the next couple days to make sure that I'm eligible, I'm also applying for Canada student loans.
I'm starting to get really excited now, its finally sinking in that I'm actually going to med school and how much I have left to do before I leave.
Scott

Congrats to all the new people on this forum that have gotten offers from UQ! I'm quite interested to see how many international students there will be in the MBBS I 2006 cohort. In my cohort (MBBS I 2005), there were almost 60 international students and almost half of us were from Canada. It has been the highest proportion of international students that UQ has taken in (our class size was 311 students).

For those of you that have already started to get things organised, good. If you haven't started...then you should! The last thing that you want is to know that your loan wasn't approved by the bank and you have one week to pay the first semester's tuition. I know that it has been mentioned before but Bank of Montreal, National Bank of Canada and Royal Bank all offer $150,000 professional student line of credit to medical students. There is quite a bit of paperwork involved in it (especially since not many agents have done it before, at least that was from my experience). As for getting your student visas and things sorted. UQ will send your Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) to the designated Australian High Commission, which will then send you a letter stating your CoE and your visa agreements. The visa is an electronic one not a paper one.

As for the housing front, the best place to look is the UQ Accommodations Web site. For those of you that don't want to live in a college (majority of students don't; that being said, my friends that did stay in a college stayed either at St. John's College and International House), the best places are: St Lucia (as uni is in this suburb); Toowong (direct transport to uni, major shopping centre, major train stop, the Royal Exchange and Regatta [two of bars most frequented by medical students and students in general], restaurants and 2 major grocery stores); Taringa (not direct transport to uni but still manageable, there is nothing in this neighbourhood in terms of services, etc); and Indooroopilly (which is the same as Toowong but the frequency of buses that go from here to uni is less). Start looking now! MBBS I has finished for the year (we still have to complete our medical elective) and the rest of the uni will finish in a couple of weeks; this means that many students will be leaving to go interstate, travelling, etc. More importantly, this means that there will be heaps of places that will up for let. It would be awful if you got here and were stuffed finding a place because January till March, more and more students come back to Brisbane in the hopes of getting a place to live before uni starts.

Good luck with all the preparations. Once again, if you have any questions, then just send me a PM or an email and I will be happy to answer your questions.

PS - Those of you that think that you will be missing the snow...think again! :) I remember when I left Calgary last year, it was almost -37 degrees with the windchill! I never want to experience that cold ever again...ever. Upon arrival to Brisbane it was 30+...so nice! :)

DocVeev said:
... Taringa (not direct transport to uni but still manageable, there is nothing in this neighbourhood in terms of services, etc)

Hey, you're pissing in my backyard, Vman! Taringa does have direct bus service and a whole street full of restaurants and a convenience store and lawn bowling and phil & cam and videos and a liquor store and... :p

pitman said:
Hey, you're pissing in my backyard, Vman! Taringa does have direct bus service and a whole street full of restaurants and a convenience store and lawn bowling and phil & cam and videos and a liquor store and... :p

This is totally off topic, but just a quickie about payments to UQ. Do most of you use wire transfers (telegraphic transfer or TT)? I recently got an email that said to send a bank draft, but it's more risky than a TT, IMO...

Hmm...

TT's are faster and safer than drafts (because there is no mailing involved) but costs more. I am going to write a draft to them, and then e-mail the admissions office to give them heads-up about this and ask that they e-mail me when they received my acceptance and payment.

Check your bank, but in many places the payee name is clearly printed onto the cheque, not handwritten. And the bank will take responsiability if this is altered and cashed by another individual.

Cheers,
Aussi rate to Cad yesterday....0.8632
Hope this number falls hahahah...

Anyone have any? Pros/Cons? Does it really matter?

Meh. Both divisions it is..

Sorry Pitman, Yes, Taringa does have a strip mall which has a whole bunch of eccentric services. :) And yes P & C are there but they will be moving out soon, no?

As for clinical divisions, both the Princess Alexandria and Royal Brisbane Hospital are identical in terms of what students will be learning. The RBH offers workshops spread out on a number of days on how to wash your hands, the hospital code policy, and hospital hierarchy. PA does this as well but it is covered in one morning. Remember that in 1st year, you won't be spending much time in the hospital apart from clinical coaching (1.5 hours a week, and if you are keen, then you can go in and see patients on your own time). In first year, you are placed in either Central or Southern for the entire year as the PBL group doesn't change midway through the year as it does in second year (which also implies that you can do 6 months Central and 6 months Southern).

Thanks for the info DocVeev!

Since it doesn't matter which division I go to in first, then which one is closer to campus--in terms of distance I need to travel?

:)

Well, PA is much closer to uni than RBH. However, that depends on where you are living. Often times it might be that clinical coaching is the only thing that you have on that day and it might be easier to go to RBH than the PA from where you live.

The closest train station to PA is Dutton Park (which means nothing to you at the moment, but when you get to Brisbane, it will) which is a 5 minute walk from the PA. RBH does not have a train station nearby, however there are heaps of buses that leave from the CBD (short for Central Business District - not downtown, not CityCentre, not town...very important to get lingo down) and will drop you right in front of the RBH.

Also in your clinical group, there will always be someone that drives. Fortunately, I was able to get a lift with them to and fro to the PA (I was in Southern Division for first year).

Now here the kicker, just because you put down a preference does not necessarily mean that you will get that preference (hence why is it is referred to as a 'preference'). UQ SOM has to allocate 50% of the cohort to Central and the other 50% to Southern Divisions. You will find out about your placement on the first day of orientation.

Central ROCKS!

Just kidding. Preference seems to be about evenly split among students, i.e., there's not much diff.

One thing: if for some reason you want to be near the School admin, or the med soc, then do Central.

Hello Everyone:

Thanks for the info on the two clinical sites (both pitman and DocVeev)
Where does most of the teaching take place in 1st year..on campus or at your clinical site? I am debating whether to live on campus or not.

:)

Mostly on campus -- most lectures (though there'll be half-class lectures at your clinical hospital once every couple weeks), micro, physio & public health pracs, most things except for clinicals and a few other random hospital visits.

Well done to everyone accepted. Seems as though you're all international students and I could be the first Queenslander to post here.

I 've also got my acceptance and am looking forward to meeting you all next year! Have a good christmas, but make sure you all get here a bit early so you can enjoy the summer/beaches before getting stuck into med school. If you got any other questions for me about Brisbane/UQ, don't hesitate to ask! :thumbup: