UQ Class of 2011 Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CnckChk6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who's accepted at UQ for 2011, thought it'd be cool to see where all the international students are from!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Toronto, Canada. Looks like you're Canadian as well :thumbup:

Awesome, did you apply with Oztrekk?? There will be forums through Oztrekk and also a Facebook page starting up in September so we can all chat. Did you go to the talk by Cleghorn in TO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I applied through Oztrekk. I think Cleghorn's in TO this week but I can't go. r u from Toronto, too?

Nope, I'm actually in Calgary, but there's about 70 Canadians that'll be in our class, crazy hey! Cleghorn's visit was really good actually, it was good info so it's too bad you can't go, but Oztrekk has everything we need anyways, they're awesome. Did you do undergrad out East??

wow.. 70 Canadians?? I guess we're filling all the international slots for next year's intake lol
Yeah, I did my undergrad at U of T. And you?
I was gonna go to Calgary but had a last minute change of heart :D

Congrats on being accepted!
I was accepted as well and will be in your class starting in January.
(Also a Canadian, from Oakville, just around Toronto)
Small world!

Where did you guys hear there were gonna be so many Canadians?
I think that's like their whole international quota!

Yeah, Dr. Cleghorn said about 60-70 Canadians this year which is double last year's number, insane! But super cool tho too. I'm really excited, I think this will be an awesome experience.... I did my undergrad here in Alberta and am now a grad student, what are you guys doing until we go?

ha
not a whole lot to be honest
I do landscaping in the summers to make money, I just got back from a 6 month backpack trip thru SE Asia and am now recuperating from a work injury...(yes...I will put a nail in my hand just after getting accepted to med school...brilliant) I'm thinking about heading to Aus in november to get a job down there/get established, make friends etc. If not, maybe travel thru India a bit before going. Who knows? I figure I'm gonna be in monster debt anyways, what's another few in the hole...ugh

That's crazy about your hand, hopefully that heals up well! In terms of going to Oz early and working, you can't actually apply for a work visa until the day our program begins, so unfortunately I don't think you could work ahead of time (otherwise I'd do the same and finish my masters degree there!!). We're all gonna have sick debt hey, oh well, what can you do....I'm not sure if the facebook page for our class has been made yet, but if you guys want, PM me and we can add each other on facebook, easier than this!

Hey guys!

I'm 23, M and from Ottawa, ON, and will be attending UQ for medicine this Jan!... Real Excited..! Where is everyone thinking of living? Maybe we can help eachother out, so msg me if you wanna chat.. !

Hi all!

I am starting at UQ medical school this January too! I'm really excited to talk to some fellow international students! I'm from just outside TO and from the sounds of it, I'm not alone. I can't believe how many Canadians there are...sounds like its gonna be fun!

L

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has read the threads about UQ as a good choice of medical school....

I was browsing around for info and some of those posts by current UQ students got me kinda freaked out...saying that the curriculum is highly unorganized, etc.

I was super excited on starting at UQ, glad with my choice, etc. But now I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Do you think that the appearance of unorganization may come from the large class sizes?? Frankly, I'm used to attending big schools so that doesn't bother me one bit. And my interviewer told me that this year they are trying to do things a bit differently.

Hopefully we all have a great time starting at UQ!!! Good luck!

L

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody,
I'm Seth from Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I'll be starting my first year this January.

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has read the threads about UQ as a good choice of medical school....

I was browsing around for info and some of those posts by current UQ students got me kinda freaked out...saying that the curriculum is highly unorganized, etc.

I was super excited on starting at UQ, glad with my choice, etc. But now I'm starting to get a bit nervous. Do you think that the appearance of unorganization may come from the large class sizes?? Frankly, I'm used to attending big schools so that doesn't bother me one bit. And my interviewer told me that this year they are trying to do things a bit differently.

Hopefully we all have a great time starting at UQ!!! Good luck!

L

hey i was freaked out about the disorganization as well, but it seems like it's same 1 or 2 people talking about it all the time... can't really get see the whole picture... but then yeh, 400 students, that's awfully big class, and the largest increase was this year?

i guess if lectures are big, that's ok... the most important thing is that the Lab and Tutorials are small.... anyone know about the sizes of these?

Hi Everyone, Congratulations on your acceptance! I am curious on the timing of when you received your offers for the 2008 intake.

Would you mind sharing?

thanks

The reason why Australian med schools have large class sizes is because they are nearly all government funded, and must comply with gov't demands for increased number of spots.

This is in response to the concern of the general public over the rising number of foreign-trained doctors in Australian hospitals, many of whom do not have a good command of the English language.

Sydney Uni has a class size of nearly 300 (260 in my intake back in 2005), and it seems to be increasing each year.

Yes lectures are huge; in fact we needed two adjacent lecture theatres with video conferencing to accommodate the students.

But in the end, most of the real learning happens at home. Lectures/labs/tutes are there to guide you, interest you, and motivate your learning.

You should not be as worried about class sizes and organisation of the course, as much as you should be about making preparations to return home to practice (which I presume many, if not most of you want to). That means bridging the gap between Aus and North American medical programs with USMLE study aids & study groups etc.

Good luck and enjoy med school.

Hello,

I am a Canadian student finishing my degree in biology at Toronto and am very interested in pursing a medical education in Australia at the University of Queensland (4 year program). I meet the requirements of GPA, but unfortunately do not meet the requirements of the mcat, I have a 5 in verbal and 9 in BS and 9 in PS. I was wondering if anyone else got in with a lower mcat requirement.
Let me know guys, please.
Cheers

Anyone get in this year or know of people that got in with that kind of mcat.

Hello,

I am a Canadian student finishing my degree in biology at Toronto and am very interested in pursing a medical education in Australia at the University of Queensland (4 year program). I meet the requirements of GPA, but unfortunately do not meet the requirements of the mcat, I have a 5 in verbal and 9 in BS and 9 in PS. I was wondering if anyone else got in with a lower mcat requirement.
Let me know guys, please.
Cheers

Just an observation I noticed on the website (http://www.som.uq.edu.au/som/future_students/mbbs/grad_entry.htm)

"Applicants are ranked on the basis of their performance in the admissions test (50%) and interview (50%). Offers are allocated accordingly."

So it could be theoretically possible for you to make up what you lost on the mcat in the interview. But this is just my opinion. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Just an observation I noticed on the website (http://www.som.uq.edu.au/som/future_students/mbbs/grad_entry.htm)

"Applicants are ranked on the basis of their performance in the admissions test (50%) and interview (50%). Offers are allocated accordingly."

So it could be theoretically possible for you to make up what you lost on the mcat in the interview. But this is just my opinion. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

apply really really really early, and your chances will be really really really high

Thanks.

From what I know, they have a minimum requirement that you have to achieve before they'll offer you the interview. The whole 50/50 ranking is after they've looked at your GPA and MCAT and made sure you make the cutoff (the MCAT req. is min. 8/8/M/8). I would suggest re-writing the MCAT, it will help with applying anywhere to have a stronger score, hope that helps!

Hey,

I had a similar situation with my MCAT scores. UQ requires 8/8/8M and I just missed on PS with a 7 (very frustrating!). I didn't know if I should bother applying....but Oztrekk recommended I apply because (now they don't advertise this fact) the university WILL assess your application if you are only missing the cutoff in one section and it is no less than a 7. So I got really lucky AND I also applied as early as possible to take advantage of the rolling admissions. Landed an interview, and then got in!!

It is too bad that you have a 5 but those 9's are great! So you know that you have the capacity to do well....give it another go and you'll be set! Good luck!

L

Hey,

I had a similar situation with my MCAT scores. UQ requires 8/8/8M and I just missed on PS with a 7 (very frustrating!). I didn't know if I should bother applying....but Oztrekk recommended I apply because (now they don't advertise this fact) the university WILL assess your application if you are only missing the cutoff in one section and it is no less than a 7. So I got really lucky AND I also applied as early as possible to take advantage of the rolling admissions. Landed an interview, and then got in!!

It is too bad that you have a 5 but those 9's are great! So you know that you have the capacity to do well....give it another go and you'll be set! Good luck!

L

Hey Lise,

Yes indeed, I scored 7 in the verbal section but UQ was good enough to grant me an interview and subsequently an offer! I did do well in the other sections though :)

Seeya in UQ next year!

Cheers

What's a good place to live while attending UQSOM (ST. Lucia campus) ?

Hey everyone,

I am from Vancouver will be starting at UQ in January. I am OLD...lets just say older that 25 and am wondering if there is any other "mature" students out there who may be interested in finding a place together.

Congratulations on all your acceptances :). Would you guys mind sharing your stats?

apply really really really early, and your chances will be really really really high

This is not true. Applying earlier simply means getting a reply earlier. Since there are several rounds of application cycle each year in most schools (for internationals), if one applied in the 1st round and didn't make the cut, he/she got the rejection letter earlier.

One must also understands that the minimum GPA requirements for various schools are simply not enough to get in any of them.

This is not true. Applying earlier simply means getting a reply earlier. Since there are several rounds of application cycle each year in most schools (for internationals), if one applied in the 1st round and didn't make the cut, he/she got the rejection letter earlier.

uq admission for international has rolling admission... if one apply earlier, chances of getting in with a lower gpa is higher becaue one is compared only with the earlier applicants.. of cuz one must still prove to be competent

chances of getting in with a lower gpa is higher becaue one is compared only with the earlier applicants

but likewise, the earlier applicants could happen to be very strong too, while the applicants of the 2nd batch could be weaker in comparison. in this situation, that hypothetical someone could be accepted had she/he applied later instead of earlier. so there's the element of luck.

but likewise, the earlier applicants could happen to be very strong too, while the applicants of the 2nd batch could be weaker in comparison. in this situation, that hypothetical someone could be accepted had she/he applied later instead of earlier. so there's the element of luck.

yes what you suggested is entirely possible... but in reality, the # of applications earlier in the cycle is often much less than closer to the deadline....

The early bird catches the worm, i guess....

What's a good place to live while attending UQSOM (ST. Lucia campus) ?

This off a post on the uqms.org forums:

Some considerations for location:
As first years, you will be spending most of your time in St. Lucia. Most first year students live on or near campus, taking 2 buses to either Herston ("Central", immediately north of downtown Brisbane) or a 15min walk across the river to PA hospital ("Southern", east of St. Lucia) for clinicals about once per week.

The suburbs where most 1st years live, from closest to furthest from campus:

1) St. Lucia (for a truly student life)
2) Taringa (5min direct bus or 20-30min walk, a bit quieter)
3) Toowong (5-10min direct bus or 25-35min walk, cafes & shopping mall, closest 24-hr store)
3) Dutton Park (eastern bank of the river; there's now a walking bridge to campus; can walk to PA hospital)
4) Indooroopilly (15min direct bus, huge shopping mall & Mt. Coot'tha tropical reserve, where I live )
5) Bardon (quiet, green, cheap, requires a car)
6) Paddington (hip, old, more urban yet attractive, very close to city)
7) South Bank (hip, across the river from city = urban, expensive, takes two buses to get to St. Lucia)
8 ) Herston area - where many 2nd years live. Pretty cheap, 2 bus rides or a 10-min drive, but if you're Central division it's easy for weekly clinicals at RBH, and if you know you want Central next year, no moving required.

-pitman