Urgent advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engg06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am in third year undergraduate studies in a University. I was involved in a case of plagarism and now i am going to be suspended from the university for about 8-12 months. I have done only a few pre-reqs and the majority of my pre-reqs are still left to be done. I have completed more than 90 credits from a univerisity in Canada.

My question is should i even bother doing them and just complete my degree; as i dont know if i will get admission in a medical school?

What schools take students who have not completed their degrees; and which offer pre-req courses?

Has anyone got admission into a carribean med school after having strudent disipline imposed on the transcript? What do u guys think i should do, jus complete my pre-reqs here and and apply whenever i graduate or what?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dunno for sure. I've heard plagiarism notation on transcript rules you out of US med schools. Call the carib schools office and pretend like your applying and say you have a plagiarism record and will that affect your chances and then see what they say.

as for finishing prereqs, the more you know the better your chances of not dropping out.

I think at least one carib school has a premed "degree"

engg06 said:
I was involved in a case of plagarism and now i am going to be suspended from the university for about 8-12 months.

Yikes, dude! :eek: Don't know exactly what to say about this one. Are you sorry? Do you realize what you did was wrong? Are you capable of not letting it happen again? Or, are you just pissed that you got caught?

These are the types of questions that you are going to face each time this issue comes up. And, your attitude about this incident is paramount. Speaks to the core of your character, and it ultimately doesn't matter what your peers may or may not have been doing at the same time (i.e., I don't doubt that there is a LOT of this kind of thing going on in undergrad... it happened at my school and, sadly, a lot of those people I know for a fact were cheating, but never got caught, are now doctors themselves... :( ).

As far as getting into med school, who knows? The problem is that a lot of schools just are probably not going to be willing to take a risk on a cheater, especially with so many other qualified candidates from which to choose. You may continue to have that "did he really deserve the other grades he got" opprobrium hanging over your head.

Having said all that, the Caribbean schools are pretty forgiving. You may have a shot at one of them. You didn't commit a felony, after all, but you did show poor judgment. But, you're young. Better to learn from your mistakes and move on, and hopefully some school out there will help you to put this behind you. Residency programs only look at your med-school transcript, not your undergrad. So, as long as you can get into a med school somewhere, you won't have to worry too much about this issue coming up during the residency application process. But, you're going to have to get into and successfully navigate medical school first...

Good luck!

-Skip