Urgent Care anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A couple of questions..

1) Is weekend coverage at an urgent care a thing? Say you'll cover a weekend or two every month for a group.

2) Is it hard to find an ED that will let you come in and manage level 3-5 patients? Leave the heavy stuff for the EM docs but relieve them of more of the urgent care cases? The ED where I work at lets the FM residents have some of these patients (especially if they have a feeling they'll be admitted). Our patient population pretty regularly doesn't have a PCP (~20-30%), so they network themselves in the ED and gain patients for their clinic. Seems like that would be a sweet opportunity for a FM doc and would relieve the EM docs to do the things they'd rather be doing.

Just trying to think of some possibilities to have a side income that could help really start putting a dent in loans when the time comes. Thanks!
Yes and yes, location depending

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been soul searching over the past few months and will continue of next few on the route I want to go after residency. While nothing is set in stone, I feel it best to have a goal so that I can manage my residency spot and elective rotactions toward that route. I have a solid business background and have an interest in finding a small/medium market in need of an urgent care center and opening my own with the intent on opening an primary care clinic next door.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 3rd year resident, and we moonlight in the Urgent Care on the weekends.

The docs here work 3-4 days a week 9-5.
Residents and NP's cover the weekends and the evenings.

Pretty solid set up

Reactions: 1 user