*Urgent* In-state Tuition Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plaque Buster3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just want to congratulate everyone on their acceptances into dental schools...finally! This thread is just meant to provide you with some basic information, which you might have overlooked, (I know I have). Unfortunately this mistake can lead to a large financial burden.

So here's my story, just a few weeks ago I was accepted into the University at Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine. Assuming that I would be receiving in-state reduced tuition after the first year, (since I currently reside in NY, and wouldn't qualify during D1). Fortunately I caught this mistake before paying their $2000 deposit due next week. So, I was under the impression that all dental schools have the same in-state tuition requirements...WRONG!:bang: After calling the financial aid office, they told me I would qualify if I paid property tax (purchase property) wth. This sounded absurd to me, so I called the U. Pitt's undergrad and was contacted by someone with more experience in the matter. She told me "No, you don't have to pay property tax...however you could sign a petition proving that you would live in Pennsylvania after you graduate, basically get employed there." And in my case that's not really a plausible scenario.

And well folks the moral of the story is triple check those in-state requirements, you never know who is pissed off that morning :thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

:( Sorry! A LOT of schools will not let you get in-state residency after the first year. There are a handful that do, but most don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I just want to congratulate everyone on their acceptances into dental schools...finally! This thread is just meant to provide you with some basic information, which you might have overlooked, (I know I have). Unfortunately this mistake can lead to a large financial burden.

So here's my story, just a few weeks ago I was accepted into the University at Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine. Assuming that I would be receiving in-state reduced tuition after the first year, (since I currently reside in NY, and wouldn't qualify during D1). Fortunately I caught this mistake before paying their $2000 deposit due next week. So, I was under the impression that all dental schools have the same in-state tuition requirements...WRONG!:bang: After calling the financial aid office, they told me I would qualify if I paid property tax (purchase property) wth. This sounded absurd to me, so I called the U. Pitt's undergrad and was contacted by someone with more experience in the matter. She told me "No, you don't have to pay property tax...however you could sign a petition proving that you would live in Pennsylvania after you graduate, basically get employed there." And in my case that's not really a plausible scenario.

And well folks the moral of the story is triple check those in-state requirements, you never know who is pissed off that morning :thinking:

By the looks of the school you have under your signature, it sounds like Buffalo has a much easier process of getting in-state tuition then? I'm asking because this was a school I got accepted to and I'm seriously considering going there after seeing that it's pretty much the cheapest option I could possibly have as a California resident...

By the looks of the school you have under your signature, it sounds like Buffalo has a much easier process of getting in-state tuition then? I'm asking because this was a school I got accepted to and I'm seriously considering going there after seeing that it's pretty much the cheapest option I could possibly have as a California resident...

The OP currently lives in NY, so he/she likely did not have to worry about in-state status.