Urgent-Need advice for experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFalcon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle for pharmacy schools in Texas. My GPA is decent at 3.79, science GPA at 3.89 (one B), and i'm taking the PCAT in July and feel prepared for it. I have leadership experience, and volunteer hours in the community. But what I don't have is someone to write my letters of recommendations, or any experience in the field! :oops: (I've been dealing with health issues this past year and had to prioritize)

Is it possible to make up for lost time at this point? I'm not even sure where to start with getting experience. My hometown is very tiny, but a new CVS just opened up, would that be a be a place to start? What should I ask the pharmacist? Is CVS even a good place for this? I'm taking the PTCB exam next week, I figured that might help? I need two letters of recommendation for the school i'm looking at, but am not sure if a good relationship can be formed in a summer. :(

Any advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Since you said that you have volunteer hours maybe you should start with the organizations or groups you have helped. I don't know how fast Texas is for pharmacy tech licensing because it took forever for my tech license to come in (I'm from California). Usually schools ask for at least one academia related letter so maybe ask a recent/familiar teacher/professor. But you should make sure whoever is writing the letters have ample time because they have to fit it into their working schedules. Goodluck

CVS would work, but I'm not sure how much they'd let you do without your Texas State Board of Pharmacy Certification. It took me about 2 months from the day I finished my PTCB exam to when I got my TSBP certificate, but that was from Oct to Dec. I think it takes longer over the summer due to the influx of summer applicants. (Not sure if you know, but the TSBP application is separate app you have to complete after getting your PTCB certificate.)

I think you can just call up your CVS and ask if they need help in their pharmacy? Not sure. Doesn't hurt to ask. Also, I think CVS has a job opening database you can search through to see if there are openings in your town.

Additionally, consider other kinds of pharmacies (grocery stores/chains, independents, hospitals, etc.) as well to increase your chances of getting a position. Some places may take volunteers over those seeking pay.

If you're looking at University of Houston, you'll need that pharmacist rec.

I know that most TX schools want a professor's rec. Try your best in the fall to make a relationship happen with a prof asap. Go to their office hours often. Or if you think you can, ask if they'd be willing to meet with you outside of their office hours, so it's just you two.

Best of luck. I hope that helps.

Last edited: