Urgent: transferring after PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polynexusmorph

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm kindly asking for help. In summary, I'm a US-IMG PGY1 IM resident in a categorical program who's willing to switch to neurology.
My PD is unpredictable and has a reputation of targeting residents.
I spoke with our department chair who was extremely supportive and wrote me an LOR and contacted programs on my behalf, and assured me not to worry about any further details and focus on interviews. Multiple attendings also emailed to put a good word for me, including one of the APDs.

A program that I dream of is offering me a PGY2 position but they want to speak with my PD first. I explained the situation without getting into much detail and they seem to understand but still want to speak with my PD.

I will have a meeting with my current chair tomorrow to discuss the next step but it's likely going to be starting the conversation with my PD, whom I'm afraid might give harmful recommendations to the prospective program just to ruin the transfer.

Of note, the head of the GME committee and the union representative are also aware of my situation. I didn't sign the PGY2 contract with my current program so I have no legal obligations, and have multiple documents to corroborate my outstanding performance as an intern (zero issues, literally).

How can I approach this situation? Should explain in detail the prospective PD? Should I have my chair call them to set a background? I've heard from the head of GME that my PD backs out from targeting people once other parties get involved. I want to change my specialty peacefully but am willing to fight if she insists on sabotaging my career.

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to give you advice because this clearly just comes down to some personal quirks related to your PD, and none of us really know your PD. It seems like your chair does and has gone to bat for you extensively. I would ask your chair how to approach this and do whatever they suggest.

Reactions: 3 users
It's hard to give you advice because this clearly just comes down to some personal quirks related to your PD, and none of us really know your PD. It seems like your chair does and has gone to bat for you extensively. I would ask your chair how to approach this and do whatever they suggest.
Thanks! I have a meeting with him tomorrow