(Urgent!!) Virginia Tech (VTC SOM) vs. Albany Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed654321

Reaction score
Any info about either school or the better option is appreciated!! Cost, proximity to support/ home, and overall vibe are the same. Looking to keep options open in terms of residency but have interests in surgery, OBGYN, and derm and would want to go back to California (where I was for undergrad) for residency.

VTC SOM - Virginia Tech
Pros
  • heavy on research it seems
  • small class size (approx 50) makes it easy to make connections and have meaningful mentorship
  • seems to listen to its students' feedback
  • true P/F preclinical years
  • not a lot of people take gap years for more research they are ready to apply to residency after the normal 4 years
Cons
  • Newer - 2007
  • I can't find any STEP 2 average score data
  • small class size means not a lot of match data to go off of
Albany Medical College
Pros
  • Older/ well established; larger alumni network
  • good match year this past year with several high ranking institution
  • not a lot of people take gap years for more research they are ready to apply to residency after the normal 4 years
  • has other schools near campus (law and pharm) may give an opportunity to meet people outside of med school space
Cons
  • anatomy lab is shared every other day so you don't do the entire dissection (you are taught what happened in the opposite days dissection by other students)
  • I can't find any STEP 2 average score data
  • Tiered pass fall (uses Z-scores for "honors" so not a lot of students get honors)
  • only recorded lectures (no in person option)
Summary: Would love any insight in particular how important being older/more established is in this case as opposed to more meaningful connections/ leadership and letters of rec from a smaller school.

Members don't see this ad.

have you been to the virginia tech campus? While Roanoke isn't a small town, its a pretty isolated place with its own unique culture.

have you been to the virginia tech campus? While Roanoke isn't a small town, its a pretty isolated place with its own unique culture.
yes, I have been to both! They seemed pretty similar in terms of being pretty small and isolated but both have their own little charm and are close to train or airports so I could travel. Since I'm coming from a city both will be an adjustment so I wasn't too focused on that in the choice :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got post-II R from VTC but absolutely loved their interview day. Felt like it was a school built by people who care about teaching/mentoring the next generation of medical students rather than for money. Curriculum, research focus, and any recent changes seemed like they were specifically tailored towards residency success. Plus with the small class size you get such individualized attention which seemed to be true based on interview day, you can’t get that at most schools. I feel like you’ll never be left behind. I’m biased but would choose VTC in a heartbeat, I feel like the location was probably my biggest con

Reactions: 1 user
yes, I have been to both! They seemed pretty similar in terms of being pretty small and isolated but both have their own little charm and are close to train or airports so I could travel. Since I'm coming from a city both will be an adjustment so I wasn't too focused on that in the choice :)
gotcha, just making sure you know because Roanoke is definitely a southern city in terms of culture. Have to agree w the comment above in saying that its probably a really good choice for competitive specialties. Hard focus on research, good mentorship culture which you won't find at the same level at Albany. Just go where the vibes are taking you and if that is Roanoke, enjoy the beauty of Virginia good sir/ma'am.

Virginia Tech is a unique school. I have a friend there. One observation from my friend is the dedication and caring nature of the staff and faculty. The small class size creates an incredible community wherein the staff, faculty, and students really know each other well. It's a very caring / nurturing environment. This is a huge plus for my friend.

PBL is a major part of the curriculum. Anecdotally, it seems pretty popular with the students at VTC. It has been enormously impactful for my friend. First year is more challenging, second year a little easier with fewer presentations. There are a lot of in-class hours at VTC, particularly during first year. Lots of clinical skills training. I think it's manageable but, yes, you'll be at the school a lot the first 20 months or so. And, as a result, you will be more than ready for 3rd year rotations.

The research element is built into the program and the structure will keep you on track. The research arm of the school / health system is literally adjacent (attached) to the medical school. The hospital is a few hundred yards from the school. It's all right there. No driving around for anything except maybe once per block for the preclinical years' outpatient/preceptor experience --- depending on where you get assigned.

Although preclinical is P/F, they do offer "letters of distinction" at the conclusion of M2 in five categories (Basic Science, Clinical Science, PBL, Research, and something called HSSI(?) which includes things like ethics, professionalism, health systems, etc.).

Winter weather is pretty mild. Humid summers. 15-20 minutes from Appalachian Trail, few minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a bit of a hiking / biking "Mecca" in the Mid-Atlantic area. 3 hours from Raleigh, NC and about the same to Charlottesville, little more to WDC.

The main downside is that Roanoke is hard to get to and from in terms of direct flights.

Good luck! I'd go to VTC in a heartbeat over Albany.