URM (AA), HYP, 3.0, 509 - Trying to face the music...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

23_hopeful

Reaction score
Hello! I posted this in the URM forum but figured having it here would give me more responses:

I'd love to hear your opinions on my chances!

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn and anyone else with insight!

• AA, female, HYP, NJ
  • sGPA = ~3 (it does not dip below 3.0; includes postbac)
  • cGPA = ~3 (it does not dip below 3.0; includes postbac)
  • postbac = ~3.8
  • MCAT #1 sub-500.
  • MCAT #2 CP: 126, CARS: 128, BB: 127, PS: 128 | 509
    • I really wanted a 512+, but I guess this is okay. It kills me to know that the conditions I was under during test-taking time were subpar (no sleep and thus was sleepy during the exam, I got into an argument with my SO a few hours before, mild hunger, running out of time in ALL the sections - so while I answered every question, I rushed like a maniac through the majority of it...) and yet I managed to pull off a good score. I am itching to do a retake. I believe I'm capable of comfortably scoring 513+, even though I can't prove it (the only predictable practice exam I had to use for my retake was AAMC #3 and I didn't do so hotly on that one; I used up the others from my first round of MCAT studying).
  • EC/application
    • Clinical EC = cookie cutter
    • Non-clinical EC = above average
    • Research = 3 years in undergrad, no publications
    • I am a non-trad between 25 and 30.
    • My application shows a strong commitment towards the disadvantaged. I also worked to support myself during and after college.
    • My AMCAS application is still in line to be verified. I submitted mid-July. I have not finished/submitted by AACOMAS application yet.
  • List
    • I have a strong preference for the NY/NJ area. The closer to Manhattan, the better. However, I know that beggars can't be choosers. The below was my list prior to taking my MCAT exam when I thought I would score 513+. Please let me know if this list is still viable and please suggest other schools, as well. I would like to apply to 30 schools minimum and my list is currently only 29.
  1. New Jersey Medical School
  2. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
  3. Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  4. Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
  5. Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
  6. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  7. New York University School of Medicine
  8. Albert Einstein College of Medicine
  9. Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine
  10. New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
  11. SUNY Downstate College of Medicine
  12. Stony Brook University School of Medicine
  13. New York Medical College
  14. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  15. Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
  16. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  17. Yale School of Medicine
  18. Harvard Medical School
  19. Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science at UCLA
  20. Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
  21. Howard University College of Medicine
  22. Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
  23. Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
  24. Stanford University School of Medicine
  25. University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
  26. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  27. University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
  28. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  29. Boston University School of Medicine
Would it be wise to retake in September (18th)? My application (not verified yet) has already been submitted to one school and I plan on adding the remaining schools ASAP independent of my decision to retake the exam. I really want a 513+ and think it's possible. But am I kidding myself? Is it worth it? My dream school is Columbia.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do NOT retake the mCAT!

State of residence?

I can't recommend Touro-Ny...do a search as to why. Replace with PCOM, and also Rowan and Cooper. Add Netter, Albany, Rochester, Meherry, Morehouse and Hofstra.
Delete UCLA and stick with Drew.

For the Top Schools on your list, suggest hedging bets by applying to:
Columbia OR Weill Cornell OR Mount Sinai OR NYU

University of Pennsylvania OR University of Chicago OR Northwestern University

Yale School of Medicine OR Harvard Medical School

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine OR Stanford University School of Medicine OR Vandy

Consider Duke, Case and/or Mayo

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT retake the mCAT!

State of residence?

I can't recommend Touro-Ny...do a search as to why. Replace with PCOM, and also Rowan and Cooper. Add Netter, Albany, Rochester, Meherry, Morehouse and Hofstra.
Delete UCLA and stick with Drew.

For the Top Schools on your list, suggest hedging bets by applying to:
Columbia OR Weill Cornell OR Mount Sinai OR NYU

University of Pennsylvania OR University of Chicago OR Northwestern University

Yale School of Medicine OR Harvard Medical School

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine OR Stanford University School of Medicine OR Vandy

Consider Duke, Case and/or Mayo

State of Residence: NJ

Thanks, @Goro ! Also, I don’t know if this matters, but I’m not particularly limited in the number of schools to which to apply since I saved for ~40 schools; I’m actually looking to add more haha. I’ll definitely look into the additional schools you suggested!

State of Residence: NJ

Thanks, @Goro ! Also, I don’t know if this matters, but I’m not particularly limited in the number of schools to which to apply since I saved for ~40 schools; I’m actually looking to add more haha. I’ll definitely look into the additional schools you suggested!
SUNY-DS is worth looking into, maybe Stony Brook as well.

Reactions: 1 user
If you’re geographically flexible, I definitely recommend applying to Duke (as long as you are willing to fill out a longer secondary app)! I’m a current student so admittedly biased, but I think they really loopk for students who have a commitment to disadvantaged comminities, and as a fellow non-trad, I think they also value stories and experiences. I also would second the SUNY-DS rec. They seem especially non-trad friendly and community-commited!

If you’re geographically flexible, I definitely recommend applying to Duke (as long as you are willing to fill out a longer secondary app)! I’m a current student so admittedly biased, but I think they really loopk for students who have a commitment to disadvantaged comminities, and as a fellow non-trad, I think they also value stories and experiences. I also would second the SUNY-DS rec. They seem especially non-trad friendly and community-commited!

Thank you for your helpful input, @olderbrooklyndoc ! The far location of Duke does make me sweat a bit, but their preference for students who show a committment to disadvantaged communities, their appreciation for non-trads, as well as the school being a strong medical school, in general, has earned its place on my list! I just hope I earn my way into theirs!

I'll agree with Goro here: a retake is unwise. You don't have enough AAMC full-lengths to really gauge where you are, and the retake would be coming very late indeed in the cycle. If you waited a year it'd be a different story - then you'd want at least two 515+ scores on AAMC full lengths - but as it is, shoot your shot.

I'll agree with Goro here: a retake is unwise. You don't have enough AAMC full-lengths to really gauge where you are, and the retake would be coming very late indeed in the cycle. If you waited a year it'd be a different story - then you'd want at least two 515+ scores on AAMC full lengths - but as it is, shoot your shot.

You are so right. You all are ( @Goro @gyngyn @olderbrooklyndoc @Walter Raleigh ). Intellectually, I understood this even before posting a WAMC thread. I believe I’m too emotionally caught up with the idea of missing my chance at having a *real* shot at Columbia (then Cornell and Mt. Sinai in that order, though distant followups to Columbia). Right now, I don’t think I have any. My wedgedawg number suggests I apply to zero category 1 schools. Columbia is a category 1 school. The dread I feel inside would be altogether nonexistent if 509 were the highest AAMC practice score I’ve ever hit (512 was the highest I hit in my first round of my MCAT studying last year, and I messed up on the only available unused AAMC practice exam I had for my second round of studying this year).

My @WedgeDawg number is a 63. Scoring in the 511-514 range would get me a 68; 515-520, a 73; and 521+, an 83. Realistically speaking, I know I can hit a 511-514, and maybe even a 515+ if the stars were aligned perfectly on testing day. Is it worth updating schools I’ve already applied to with a new MCAT score should I take the exam in September and receive a moderate score increase? I’ve already started studying just in case. I think I already know the answer. It’s difficult to face the music, though. Thank you all for your help!

Wedgedawg Points:
Stats - 1 (with 509 MCAT)
Research - 3
Clinical - 2
Shadowing - 2
Volunteering - 3
Leadership/teaching - 3
Misc - 3
Undergrad - 3
URM - 2
GPA trend - 2

(@Faha @LizzyM @WedgeDawg @gonnif )