URM chances???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSummerlin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of being accepted for a URM (black) biochemistry major with a 2.9ish AAMC GPA (several retakes already accounted for) a 35 MCAT, 215 hours of shadowing, 50 volunteering hours, 2 years of research (w/ 1 publication), and 3 strong letters of recommendations letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you are URM, your GPA may get you screened out at a fair number of scores. Is there any way you can raise it to a 3.1-3.2 before you graduate?

Yes it is possible for me to get it to around a 3.13 after senior year, is it best to apply then or take my chances now?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're trying to get into a good program I would get that GPA up. Maybe consider a graduate program.

If you want to get into any school try applying with the 3.1-3.2.

Your MCAT is great, so you do not want to jeopardize the rest of your application because of your grades. Good luck!

Yes it is possible for me to get it to around a 3.13 after senior year, is it best to apply then or take my chances now?

??

Are you saying that you're considering applying NOW? This late? That would be a waste.

Finish the year, get your GPA up....and apply as soon as you can in early summer.

??

Are you saying that you're considering applying NOW? This late? That would be a waste.

Finish the year, get your GPA up....and apply as soon as you can in early summer.

+1. You're going to waste your money applying now. Some schools have already given out half of their interview invites. Apply ASAP next cycle once you boost your GPA or consider taking a post-bac/SMP to raise it