This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

URMrunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in my last semester of undergrad. My cGPA is a 3.05. I am a URM (Latina), and I am pretty 'in touch' with my culture. (Native language is Spanish, raised in a border city, immigrant parents, etc). I ran cross country at my college (D2) for 3 years in the most competitive D2 region until I decided it was not worth the low GPA. Since then I have done half marathons and currently training for a full marathon. I also worked at a ministry based work study. After XC I decided to get a second job in order to help my parents (who live in a different city) with bills, which required about 30 hours a week, so essentially I was working 40+ hours a week long while taking 17 credits. (I am currently only working weekends [15 hrs] for that job now). I volunteer 4 hours a week for the state childrens hospital. I have done small trips such as a month long health internship in Honduras, week long flood restoration in a local town, and Special Olympics volunteering. Although I have some EC's, I know they would not make up for my low GPA. I am thinking about doing a post-bacc, but I am not sure if it will help. I am scheduled to take the MCAT in June. Thoughts, suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms concern with a GPA that low is that you won't be able to handle med school. I can understand all the distractions causing you to have the low GPA, but it's up to you to prove that you can earn a high one without them.

Hence, I do recommend a post-bac or SMP.

Did you get a rising GPA trend once you stopped D2 running? if so, that's a good sign.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not have much to show from it since it has barely been a year. In my last semester of running, I received a 2.1 which killed my GPA. I also received a 2.75 first semester freshman year, so those two semesters definitely did not help. When working 40+ hours last semester I received a 3.1. I only have one semester left, which I am guessing is not enough 'proof' that I'm not low performing.

Take your MCAT and then we can talk. Your GPA is extremely low but with a fantastic MCAT you might be able to pull off an acceptance as a URM. It might require a post-bac or DO grade replacement, but it is probably doable.

What is your science GPA? If this is lower than your cGPA you might be SOL.