URM in Medicine-South American Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madsieb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of "am I URM" or "is this URM" around the forums in the last few months and I decided to help those who are a slight bit lost. For reference I have also called the AAMC to confirm. URM is exactly as they state on their site...

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

T
his means that even South Americans are URM by AAMC standards.

PREVIOUS DEFINITION WAS THIS:

Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups.

I am posting this because of much confusion I have seen around this topic and much non-backed information people are giving out.

Remember if you are ever unsure call the university or the people responsible for this designation and they will give you the correct answers. Anonymous posters/bloggers are anonymous and are not credible sources.

PS. Most of them are salty because they don't want more competition for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.