URM (?) MCAT Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tim1999

Reaction score
Hi all,

To cut it short I got a 506 on my MCAT and have a 3.6 GPA. Was wondering if this is enough for decent MD programs.

I'm hispanic/latino URM (I think) but from south america. I saw some old threads saying this isn't URM but wasn't sure if those were correct nowawdays.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To cut it short I got a 506 on my MCAT and have a 3.6 GPA. Was wondering if this is enough for decent MD programs.

I'm hispanic/latino URM (I think) but from south america. I saw some old threads saying this isn't URM but wasn't sure if those were correct nowawdays.
Each school makes an independent decision on what groups are UiM.
Many who identify as Hispanic are not considered UiM, but language skills are always appreciated.
There is only one US MD school that I do not consider decent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this even true or just virtue signaling? I was an applicant last year, hispanic/latino, and according to this forumn I would have been ORM (argentinian). I am essentially a traditional with a 514 MCAT, 3.9x, pretty good research, top undergrad, and got acceptances at multiple T20s including places where I'm well below 10th percentile MCAT like WashU and JHU. I also paid (am paying) full tuition, not that it mattered (jokes, I'm sure it did...).

Not to beat around the bush but we all know once you check that hispanic/latino box, you qualify the school for stuff like NIH funding and other research/general diversity funding that schools eat up (unless of course you are literally just not hispanic/latino or are one of those 5% mexian from 23andMe people). MSAR only reports hispanic/latino, no one actually subspecifies. Most of these schools treat us like scatterplot points anyways with our MCAT/GPAs just to get a .01% increase on USNews, so I really don't see how the diversity situation is any different. I read stuff like this then think of my app which was a metric mile worse than the average asian applying to top schools and I really don't buy it.
I can only report what is true at my institution and what is established by the AAMC.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Thanks!
A lot of this is going to depend on other factors: state of residence, target programs (MD, DO, both), and other factors in your application. Not all 506 are created equal - do you have all subsection score over 125, for example. A 3.6 and 506 is going to be a lot more challenging if you live in CA vs NM, for example, as your stats would be above the median for NM but significantly below for CA. If you’re targeting MD and DO programs, you will likely have a successful cycle. If your goal is only MD and you live in a more competitive state, then things start to look a little differently. You can make a post asking for help with a school list or asking for advice about holes to fill in / strengthen in your application.