URM MS-students, accepted students and physicians read here, need advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need all the science and math pre-reqs. And I really want to get into Ivy League schools and hopefully with nice financial aid packages. *crosses fingers and prays to God*

As an older nontrad, I'm really confused about how this whole med school timeline works.

1. Since I'd be taking an inevitable gap year following submitting an application in June 2018, can I apply to med school knowing I'd still need a year of physics and take those requirements during the gap year? Or should I wait to apply until June 2019?

2. Is it wise to have more than one school for post-bacc transcripts? I'm registered for CC next semester. Summer 2016 I intend to either take two math classes at my state school, OR one math course and a summer research program. Then, I'll be taking my the rest of the classes through my post-bacc program. If I can't logistically take classes through my post-bacc 4 year due to finances and commute, would taking classes at a shady public institution near my house make my application less desirable? I'm also considering SIU's MEDPREP following my science pre-reqs in case I need to boost my MCAT or GPA. I'm looking at 6-7 transcripts in total. Will schools look down on my application for this many different transcripts?

3. Is it possible to work as a scribe and an EMT while taking post-bacc classes?

4. How are publications viewed? If so, how many should one aim for and what types of journals?

5. How many foreign languages are necessary?

6. Can you please tell me how many shadowing hours are recommended, how many doctors are needed to shadow and whether shadowing is required if I get hired as a scribe?

7. Does it look better to volunteer at a teaching hospital affiliated with a major name medical school rather than a health care system? And if I'm an EMT already, do I need to volunteer at a hospital? Does EMT work count as clinical experience? How many hours of "clinical experience" are recommended for a successful application?

8. Does belonging to any student or professional medical associations look favorably on one's application? Same with global health volunteering?

9. How is starting a medical nonprofit looked upon by adcoms?

10. How would medical schools adcoms view obtaining a low-residency creative writing MFA or an online MSW prior to med school matriculation?

11. Is research required? Most programs I've seen are only for undergrads, not nontrads.

12. Should I apply Early Decision?

13. What's your personal opinion on 3 year med schools? Especially NYU's 3 year + residency?

Sorry for the novel. I know it seems like I'm a gunner, and maybe I am, but my stats don't show it yet.

Graduated from private prep hs: age 16, 4.0 SAT 1320 (on the old scale) ACT 30 composite
uGPA: 3.34 gGPA: 3.45
no BCPM gpa yet
no MCAT yet
old GRE: 1260
current age 32, F, URM, low SES
tons of leadership experience, internships, and volunteer experience throughout the course of my life because I naively still believe I can make the world a better place.
tons of disadvantages and hardships I really don't want to emphasize in my application

Mentors welcome to reply! Thanks again <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I know you asked for a particular group of people to respond but I've had at least had success in getting multiple interviews this cycle as a nontrad. You can take my response as you may.

1. Since I'd be taking an inevitable gap year following submitting an application in June 2018, can I apply to med school knowing I'd still need a year of physics and take those requirements during the gap year? Or should I wait to apply until June 2019?

Yes, schools allow you to apply without having fulfilled a pre-req or two so long as you're clear where you plan to take said coursework. If possible, I would obviously try to complete this before applying.

2. Is it wise to have more than one school for post-bacc transcripts? I'm registered for CC next semester. Summer 2016 I intend to either take two math classes at my state school, OR one math course and a summer research program. Then, I'll be taking my the rest of the classes through my post-bacc program. If I can't logistically take classes through my post-bacc 4 year due to finances and commute, would taking classes at a shady public institution near my house make my application less desirable? I'm also considering SIU's MEDPREP following my science pre-reqs in case I need to boost my MCAT or GPA. I'm looking at 6-7 transcripts in total. Will schools look down on my application for this many different transcripts?

Wow, that's a lot of transcripts lol. I can't really speak to this one. Although, I've heard that ADCOM is generally understanding of non-traditional students' circumstances. Really good buddy of mine did SIU's medpred; he's a third year at SIU now.

3. Is it possible to work as a scribe and an EMT while taking post-bacc classes?

Meh, it might be a little difficult juggling all three; I wouldn't suggest it. I wouldn't scribe if you're already an EMT. The only things you get from scribing that you don't get from EMT is learning about physician's medical decision making and honestly, you can get that through close shadowing.

4. How are publications viewed? If so, how many should one aim for and what types of journals?

First, I'll say that publications are hard to get. You could spend 3-4 years in a lab and not get a publication. If you're considering research, make sure that the labs you are considering are still publishing. Some labs are on "hiatus" and just aren't doing so. Publications are generally viewed favorably especially if you're first author and even more so if it's a publication in a major journal. You generally don't need more than one pub. A simple search on PubMed can give you a good idea of major academic journals such as Journal of the American Medical Association. This is a good resource (http://www.scirp.org/journal/CategoryOfJournal.aspx?CategoryID=7)

5. How many foreign languages are necessary?

Foreign languages are NOT necessary and are honestly, only noteworthy if you spent a considerable amount of time studying said language. I wouldn't stress trying to augment this if your time could best be served improving GPA/MCAT/EC's

6. Can you please tell me how many shadowing hours are recommended, how many doctors are needed to shadow and whether shadowing is required if I get hired as a scribe?

I would aim for about 100 hours of shadowing in total across a handful of specialties. Some people have even less than that and are fine. Also try to shadow a DO and build a relationship in case you decide to apply DO as well.

7. Does it look better to volunteer at a teaching hospital affiliated with a major name medical school rather than a health care system? And if I'm an EMT already, do I need to volunteer at a hospital? Does EMT work count as clinical experience? How many hours of "clinical experience" are recommended for a successful application?

Doesn't much matter where you volunteer. It's a plus on your end if you can volunteer somewhere good in order to network but ADCOMs don't generally give weight to where you volunteered. If you're EMT, I would find volunteer opportunities outside of medicine/healthcare that really show your altruism and diversity your experiences. Going back to your last questions, a lot places will lump shadowing/clinical experience but this is school-specific.

8. Does belonging to any student or professional medical associations look favorably on one's application? Same with global health volunteering?

Meh, I think belonging to a particular org doesn't matter too much if you haven't made any substantial contributions other than being a member. Sure you can be a part of a specific org but anyone can sign up and pay a membership fee. Global health volunteering sounds cool.

9. How is starting a medical nonprofit looked upon by adcoms?

Once again, it really depends on how much effort you put in, how "hands on" you were with the nonprofit, and what you have to show for it.

10. How would medical schools adcoms view obtaining a low-residency creative writing MFA or an online MSW prior to med school matriculation?

Shows diversity in your profile for sure but I can't speak to the weight this may or may not hold in your overall application.

11. Is research required? Most programs I've seen are only for undergrads, not nontrads.

Not required. I know a handful of med students who got in without it BUT it does make you a more competitive applicant especially if you can get a publication. If you're a part of a traditional post-bacc program, they generally share research opportunities with their students, otherwise you have to actively seek out a lab at your local university.

12. Should I apply Early Decision?

Only apply ED if you know you're a VERY strong applicant for that school. You can't apply to any other school until you hear back from that one institution and generally decisions for ED are made between August and October. In the event that you're rejected or waitlisted, you've wasted precious time by not having your app in the pot for other schools. In your case, I wouldn't recommend it although you have yet to take the MCAT so only time will tell. But generally, not a good idea.

13. What's your personal opinion on 3 year med schools? Especially NYU's 3 year + residency?

Can't speak to this. I would imagine they would be a bit more competitive though.

Hope this helps some and good luck with your progression.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user