URM/NYC boarderline scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poop420

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys im a Black AA male /New York state resident I have a 503 MCAT, a 3.4 cgpa and a 3.3sgpa (strong upward trend and a F in a science class is what brought be down alot, retook and got a B+)
My EC ,
100 hours Big brothers Big sisters of NYC
100 hours Habitat for humanity
100 hours at a cancer hospice
100 hours at a hospital
60 hours of shadowing a PCP
2nd author out of on a publication (there was only the first author me and the PI if that matters, so only 3 people)
Won a big Undergraduate grant from American Society for Microbiology
3 years of research
Leadership position
I am also originally from Trinidad and have a good story that I have expressed in my Personal Statement and Secondary

My school list is
SUNY upstate
Tufts
Temple
Quinnipiac University
Pennsylvania State University
Hofstra University
Drexel University
Boston University(think this is a big reach)
University-of-Pittsburgh (Big reach)
University of Rochester Application
SUNY - Buffalo
Stony Brook University
New York Medical College
Jefferson Medical College
Downstate
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Albany
Georgetown
GW
Any advice would HELP @LizzyM @Goro @GrapesofRath @gonnif @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Your schools are all in the northeast and if that is your only geographical preference you could add GW and Georgetown. If you are applying this year you need to submit your application this week and all your secondaries by late September.

give the year by year GPAa both science and non
Freshman sgpa3.6 cgpa3.3
Sophomore sgpa2.9 cgpa3.08 this is when I got the F and retook and got a B+, I also got a C+ in a science class that year. I was going through some family problems, discusssed that in 2ndary when asked and took responsibility
Junior sgpa 3.37 cgpa3.57
Senior sgpa 3.7 cgpa 3.85

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list and should receive several interviews. Your schools are all in the northeast and if that is your only geographical preference you could add GW and Georgetown. If you are applying this year you need to submit your application this week and all your secondaries by late September.
Thank you , I didnt think I would receive several but maybe I am wrong . Regarding the location our household is on the lower socioeconomic end of the spectrum ~30,000. So I am applying to schools I can take trains to or places where I have friends/mentors who are willing to accommodate me. I am definitely going to add those 2 schools

Last edited:
I would love Albert Einstein, Stony brook and Downstate.

your trends make you better than you overall but your MCAT is a bit low. I think u will get some II but I would think about prepping again for MCAT for possible reapplication if need be
cool, a African American with a 503/27 in a city like NYC should have a fair shot I think. But I will follow the turkey rule if I dont hear back by thanksgiving I will start to prep for a reapplication

Any other advice/prospective would be appreciated

I suggest

My school list is
SUNY upstate
Tufts
Temple
Quinnipiac University
Hofstra University
Drexel University
Boston University
University of Rochester
SUNY - Buffalo
Stony Brook University
New York Medical College
Downstate
Albany
Georgetown
GW

Add Hofstra and the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew). Consider NYITCOM, LECOM, UNECOM and PCOM.

I suggest

My school list is
SUNY upstate
Tufts
Temple
Quinnipiac University
Hofstra University
Drexel University
Boston University
University of Rochester
SUNY - Buffalo
Stony Brook University
New York Medical College
Downstate
Albany
Georgetown
GW

Add Hofstra and the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew). Consider NYITCOM, LECOM, UNECOM and PCOM.

I know this might sound foolish and yes my goal is to become a doctor but how wise do you think it is to just use the list u gave me excluding the DO schools and the HBCs. And see how my cycle goes and then next cycle (even though I will have the negative of being a reapplicant) apply to the HBCU and DO schools as well as a new list. Do U think I will get II or a likely chance at a acceptance

I think that you'll get a decent number of IIs. If Downstate snubs you, something is very wrong!

I know this might sound foolish and yes my goal is to become a doctor but how wise do you think it is to just use the list u gave me excluding the DO schools and the HBCs. And see how my cycle goes and then next cycle (even though I will have the negative of being a reapplicant) apply to the HBCU and DO schools as well as a new list. Do U think I will get II or a likely chance at a acceptance

I think that you'll get a decent number of IIs. If Downstate snubs you, something is very wrong!
My thoughts exactly I represent their patient population to a tee, immigrants of Caribbean decent living in lower socioeconomic area etc and actually live in the area so I am banking on that...

Thank you all that have posted Anyone else care to give their insight would be appreciated as well

Your stats are almost right at the average for African American MD Matriculants. Add the HBMCs to your list you should be fine

A Brooklyn guy? I'll accept you on the spot!
Yep, East New York high crime area . I think most would like to see a applicant from this area and all of my volunteer experience is directly serving my community. Hence why I feel a good feeling about Downstate and would be over the moon if I get in their

Reactions: 1 user
give the year by year GPAa both science and non

I suggest

My school list is
SUNY upstate
Tufts
Temple
Quinnipiac University
Hofstra University
Drexel University
Boston University
University of Rochester
SUNY - Buffalo
Stony Brook University
New York Medical College
Downstate
Albany
Georgetown
GW

Your stats are almost right at the average for African American MD Matriculants. Add the HBMCs to your list you should be fine
Hi guys I would just like to give a update and thank you all. I received 13 interviews from my list, attended 10 and got accepted to 9 of them. I really feel my story and my letters of recommendation made the difference and now I am now planning on attending one of those school on a full tuition scholarship. Thank you so much for the help

Reactions: 6 users
:love::love::highfive::highfive::thumbup::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::claps::claps::biglove::banana::biglove::banana:
Hi guys I would just like to give a update and thank you all. I received 13 interviews from my list, attended 10 and got accepted to 9 of them. I really feel my story and my letters of recommendation made the difference and now I am now planning on attending one of those school on a full tuition scholarship. Thank you so much for the help

Reactions: 1 users