MD URM sGPA 3.54 cGPA 3.62 MCAT 30,29

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingJozif

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I want to know if I have a shot at any med schools and if so, which? I don't want to consider DO schools at all.

Overall Questions:
1) I am currently a resident of PA, but I have the ability to switch my domicile to NY. Which schools do I have a better shot at, PA or NY schools?
2) Which OOS schools do I have a good shot at?
3) My most recent MCAT score is a 29, but my first was a 30 and they were taken within 6 months of each other. How will that effect which schools I should apply too? Also which schools accept a super score of your best sections?

URM: Dominican/Colombian, currently not fluent in Spanish but working on it
PA Resident, male
Undergrad: NYU
Major: Biology
Minors: Chemistry, Child & Adolescent Mental Health Studies
sGPA 3.54
cGPA 3.60
Upward trend: Dean's List junior and senior year (3.92 over last four semesters)

MCAT: 1st test- 30 overall (12PS, 8VR 10BS); 2nd try- 29 overall (10PS, 8VR, 11BS)

I retook and got lower the second time! I know. I'm so dumb, but I was averaging a 34 during my practice tests and I wanted to improve my verbal section and have a chance at top tier schools. Then I bombed when I took the real thing but somehow managed to convince myself I'd be okay if I went ahead and got my botched exam scored. -_____-

EC's:
-1-year Member of NYU Men's Varsity Soccer team freshman year, gave up to concentrate on academics
-Phi Delta Epsilon Pre-Medical Fraternity
~50 hours volunteering to raise money for Children's Miracle Network
-Peer Health Exchange, senior year
~ 100 hours, teaching health class on sex and drugs in NYC's underprivileged communities
-Reach Out and Read sophomore-senior year
~ 2 hours/week to read to kids in the hospital
-Worked 20 hours a week at school gym all of senior year
-Health Education Awareness Leadership Training Honors Program, got in as a senior
-NYU Med pipeline program to help guide minority undergraduates working with NYU med admissions and diversity offices
- Red Dragon Society (secret society should I even put this in my applications or on my resume?)

Clinical/ Research experience:
-Clinical Research Assistant: 100 hours
~not much interaction with patients in person,
~much recruiting patients over the phone
~conducted literature searches, learned about general research proposal process

-Lab Research Assistant: 250 hours
~learned how to clone, basic vector engineering, (electrophoresis, PCR, cell culturing, managing fly stocks, collecting embryos)
However, no papers published. I did not present at an undergraduate conference either.

Shadowing:
-100 hours with an Internist every Friday during the summer (more passive shadowing)
-120 hours at Endoscopy clinic everyday for three weeks
basically trained as an endoscopy technician, heavier interaction with patients, debriefed patients on procedures, learned medical record services, aided with biopsies, learned to identify intra-operative landmarks of intestinal tract

LOR's
Head of Department of Biology/my PI/ my professor
science prof
Reach Out and Read program director at Bellevue
Internist I shadowed

Gap-Year plans:
City Year New York- AmeriCorp service program with aims to educate the underprivileged and hopefully landing a clinical research position for the summer before

I really want to do City Year, but the money is almost not livable in the New York. Should I do something more clinically relevant in my gap year off? Am I lacking significant clinical experience?

Current School list:
Temple
Drexel
Penn State
Commonwealth
Jefferson
SUNY-Downstate
New York Medical College
NYU
Pitt??

I don't know what schools I should try to apply to out of state. I would love to go anywhere urban or in the south. My family might move to Florida, and I have family in California and Texas. Is applying randomly around the country seen as a bad thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked at the MSAR?
Your list is a good start (except Pitt). You probably need at least another 10.
Don't expect much boost as a non-Spanish speaking Colombiano/RD applicant.
"Secret "societies are best left off the application.
I cannot recommend CA or TX as OOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with gyngyn's recommendations.

I'd say with your stats, apply very broadly. meaning: at least 25+ schools, and try to avoid ones that will screen you out, such as long-distance OOS schools (state schools), CA, Northwest, etc.

NY might be better, seeing there are other NY schools that you could apply to IS. Upstate, Buffalo, Downstate, Stony Brook.

Consider putting in Loyola, maybe SLU, GW, GTown, EVMS/VCU (I forget if either of which is okay with OOS), some midwest mid tier schools.

But again, key point is to apply broadly, and don't put too much effort into reach schools. Focus on the lower/midtiers and i think you can have a decent cycle.

You could add these to your list:
Quinnipiac
Albany
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Rush