URM - Terrible 1st semester, realistic options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsaurus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post so please have some leniency with me!

Background: Hispanic, Male. I'm currently at my first/second year at a CC in CA. I say first/second because my first semester in 2013, I received 2 F's, and 2 W's. I received an F in Health and in Sociology 102. This put me on Academic Probation (now I am in good standing). I (obviously) was not ready or mature enough for College and decided to take the next semester off.

The reason for these terrible life decisions were from lack of motivation/self-worth and I just did not know whether I wanted to go to college or not. During this time I was also working full-time, and I prioritized that over my education.

Thankfully, I really learned from those series of unfortunate events, and I've grown so much in just a little over a year. I realized that I wanted to be educated and successful.

During the summer of last year, I took two courses which I received A's in. One of them was Health, and this introduced me to health and medicine. I became really interested in healthcare and decided I wanted to go to MD school. I also had an arthroscopic meniscus repair during this time and my relationship with my physician further interested me in a medicine. I want to be able to help people get back to what they love to do, just like my physician did for me.

Since then, I have brought my GPA back up to a 3.8.
This semester is over in 3 weeks, and I'm hopefully going to pull a 4.0.

After this semester, I will have my first Biology prereq completed. I plan to take two classes over the summer for transfer requirements.

I would like to transfer to a UC for Anthropology, preferably UCD, but I will apply to UCD, UCSD, UCLA, UCI, my question here is if there is anyone here who goes or has gone to these schools and what are your recommendations?

I plan to take chem 1/bio 2 fall semester of this year; should I complete all of the prereqs at CC except org 1/2 and physics 1/2?

If I continue this upward trend, what are my chances of getting into an allopathic school?

I also just started to volunteer, any other insight is welcome on what else I should be doing!
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those first semester grades are pretty dramatic, but I think you'll be okay if you continue on the path you're on. By the time you apply to med school, first semester freshman year will be far away. Your status as a URM also helps. That being said, don't mess up again!

Reactions: 2 users
Those first semester grades are pretty dramatic, but I think you'll be okay if you continue on the path you're on. By the time you apply to med school, first semester freshman year will be far away. Your status as a URM also helps. That being said, don't mess up again!
Definitely learned my lesson with those F's. Thankfully I now know I can earn good grades. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had an F and a W my first semester and received multiple acceptances this cycle. I'm matriculating into an allopathic school this fall. Your journey is just beginning, there is still plenty of time to improve.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you're doing fine! Don't change what's working, and good luck!

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please have some leniency with me!

Background: Hispanic, Male. I'm currently at my first/second year at a CC in CA. I say first/second because my first semester in 2013, I received 2 F's, and 2 W's. I received an F in Health and in Sociology 102. This put me on Academic Probation (now I am in good standing). I (obviously) was not ready or mature enough for College and decided to take the next semester off.

The reason for these terrible life decisions were from lack of motivation/self-worth and I just did not know whether I wanted to go to college or not. During this time I was also working full-time, and I prioritized that over my education.

Thankfully, I really learned from those series of unfortunate events, and I've grown so much in just a little over a year. I realized that I wanted to be educated and successful.

During the summer of last year, I took two courses which I received A's in. One of them was Health, and this introduced me to health and medicine. I became really interested in healthcare and decided I wanted to go to MD school. I also had an arthroscopic meniscus repair during this time and my relationship with my physician further interested me in a medicine. I want to be able to help people get back to what they love to do, just like my physician did for me.

Since then, I have brought my GPA back up to a 3.8.
This semester is over in 3 weeks, and I'm hopefully going to pull a 4.0.

After this semester, I will have my first Biology prereq completed. I plan to take two classes over the summer for transfer requirements.

I would like to transfer to a UC for Anthropology, preferably UCD, but I will apply to UCD, UCSD, UCLA, UCI, my question here is if there is anyone here who goes or has gone to these schools and what are your recommendations?

I plan to take chem 1/bio 2 fall semester of this year; should I complete all of the prereqs at CC except org 1/2 and physics 1/2?

If I continue this upward trend, what are my chances of getting into an allopathic school?

I also just started to volunteer, any other insight is welcome on what else I should be doing!
Thanks.

How did you manage to pull your GPA to 3.8? Assuming you started in Fall 13, thats only 4-5 semesters including summer and the semester we are in right now. I'm only asking because I've been trying to pull my GPA up and it moves very slowly as I take on more credits

How did you manage to pull your GPA to 3.8? Assuming you started in Fall 13, thats only 4-5 semesters including summer and the semester we are in right now. I'm only asking because I've been trying to pull my GPA up and it moves very slowly as I take on more credits

To be honest I did not expect my GPA to rise that quickly. But since that semester in 2013 I've only received A's.