URMs in SMPs, Caribbean Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cometstarg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I sort of have several questions please bear with me. I've basically been told to either stay an extra year in college (take more classes, do well in them), apply to SMPs, or try my luck with the Caribbean (Ross, AUC, SGU, Saba) and see if I can get into a pre-med school program at Ross or AUC to try and do well in.

I've been reading up on SMPs while considering my options and I've decided it's started to look like the way to go. I'm a rising senior in undergrad with a <3.0 oGPA/sGPA (bad, I know) and won't take the MCAT until July/August. So far I've been looking into NJMS (and RWJ), NYMC, Hampton, Western Uni of Health Sciences and Temple. Does anyone have any experience applying to these with a low GPA (or know anyone that has)? Aside from explaining my GPA, what kind of MCAT score do you think I would need to stand a chance? Are there any other decent programs you've heard of that I would qualify for?

Because my GPA is so low I've also considered spending an extra semester/year in undergrad taking upper level science classes to raise it. I'm a sociology major, so I still have plenty of science classes to choose from should I stay longer. Despite how low my GPA is, I have had an upward trend that should continue now that I've started getting serious.

As for the Caribbean, I'm all for trying it out, but I'm wondering if it would make more sense to just attempt the SMP first. That way I can find out if I'm really not cut out for this without having to go to another country, and as expensive as it would be it would still be cheaper than paying for med school.

Sorry for all of that. Anyone have any opinions/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Foremost...what science courses have you taken? I suspect the regular prereqs since you mention taking advanced courses. It would be in your best interest to extend your undergrad and take the additional upper level science course making A's. This will do 3 things: raise your gpa (try getting it over 3.0 for both if possible), show an upward trend, and I think SMPs require a certain gpa too, so it can help there.

Also, consider DO programs because they have a grade replacement policy and you can retake credits for which you had poor grades. MD/DO = doctor!! Try to shoot for the highest MCAT score as possible but don't take it unless you are confident you will hit your target score based on practice tests. Don't be afraid of a retake or prep course if needed. Others can give you information on SMPs. I would avoid Carib schools unless all other options were exhausted. I only say this because the support to stay in the school may not be there. These schools are for-profit for a reason, so keep that in mind. They don't have to keep you there if you fail or are drowning because you are easily replaceable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes I've taken most of my prereqs; I only have orgo II left to take. In addition, I have time to take two more bio classes and still graduate on time. I was going to try for an SMP this cycle just to see if I can get in, then if I was accepted do well in that. This hinges on my getting a decent MCAT score of ~30. If I couldn't go that route then I was going to stay in undergrad for an extra semester or so and old Cs/get some upper division bio courses (and possibly pick up a second major in biology).
As for the Caribbean I doubt I would get in, but I've been told that the schools with accreditation in all states (Saba, AUC, Ross, St. George's) were solid choices, especially if I'm not planning on trying to get into any super competitive residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered Cooper, UMDNJ-SOM, PCOM, NYCOM, or Touro?

I plan on applying to masters programs at UMDNJ and PCOM

I graduated from the UMDNJ-SOM graduate school. It definitely helped me get in.

Do you think I stand a chance at getting in with my stats?

Do you think I stand a chance at getting in with my stats?

If you're talking about getting into our Masters program, you need a standardized test score. I took the GRE to get in back in 2009 (didn't want to waste that MCAT try), and I had a similar GPA to yours.

Yeah I'm taking the mcat in either July or August (depending on how I feel)

Yeah I'm taking the mcat in either July or August (depending on how I feel)

You could apply to get in for spring semester since you wouldn't get your score back until Aug./Sept.

You could apply to get in for spring semester since you wouldn't get your score back until Aug./Sept.
Did you apply to PCOM Biomedical as well or were you certain about UMDNJ MSBS? Those are the top picks for me as well since I'm Philly-based.

Did you apply to PCOM Biomedical as well or were you certain about UMDNJ MSBS? Those are the top picks for me as well since I'm Philly-based.

I didn't know about PCOM's program when I applied. I didn't research the whole grad school route before applying and I only applied to UMDNJ because a friend from college was doing it (bad idea in hindsight). It just so happened that I made the right choice. There are a couple people that graduated from my program and went to PCOM for med school ( I almost did myself), and vice versa because you'll more than likely meet both Marsha Williams (PCOM admissions) and Paula Watkins (UMDNJ admissions) while you're attending one of the schools and they'll try to recruit you

Members don't see this ad :)

What other programs are you looking at?

Here's my current list:
American University of the Caribbean (Med)
St. George's University (another caribbean med school)
LECOM Post-Bac
Touro COM MS-ISBPS
Drexel IMS/DMPS (not entirely sure if I'll meet the requirements for that one)
LMU PMSP
NJMS/RWJ/UMDNJ SOM MBS

Do you mean spring 2015? If I get my scores back in September, I would still have time to apply for fall 2014

Do you mean spring 2015? If I get my scores back in September, I would still have time to apply for fall 2014

I meant spring 2014. Our graduate school admits both fall and spring classes, so if you got your score back this Aug./Sept. you could apply for the upcoming spring '14 entering class

I meant spring 2014. Our graduate school admits both fall and spring classes, so if you got your score back this Aug./Sept. you could apply for the upcoming spring '14 entering class

I'm not graduating until May of 2014, so I wouldn't be able to start then.

What other programs are you looking at?

Here's my current list:
American University of the Caribbean (Med)
St. George's University (another caribbean med school)
LECOM Post-Bac
Touro COM MS-ISBPS
Drexel IMS/DMPS (not entirely sure if I'll meet the requirements for that one)
LMU PMSP
NJMS/RWJ/UMDNJ SOM MBS

As of now I'm interested in just a few:
UMDNJ MBS
PCOM Biomedical
Touro-COM NY
and probably LECOM

Is there anyone here currently in an SMP or graduated from one and has any input on programs?

Bumping this thread.

Think I'm adding Georgetown GEMS to my SMP application list. Between GEMS and PCOM-PA Biomedical they'll round off my top picks. Seems like GEMS is really competitive. Plus the app process seems intense.

Good luck! I'm pretty sure I stand absolutely no shot at GEMS. Also, I've changed my list a bit, took off the Caribbean and added PCOM, WesternU and VCU. I'm trying to trim my list a bit; twelve (current number) seems like overkill, but then again my app doesn't look super competitive.

Good luck! I'm pretty sure I stand absolutely no shot at GEMS. Also, I've changed my list a bit, took off the Caribbean and added PCOM, WesternU and VCU. I'm trying to trim my list a bit; twelve (current number) seems like overkill, but then again my app doesn't look super competitive.

Yeah I decided against GEMS and added Hampton Medical Science Program.

How does Hampton's program look to med schools?

I know 5 graduates that entered med school from that program - 3 DO and 2 Carib. There's another student that went to dental school fr that program.

Why are you in such a rush to graduate? Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Why are you in such a rush to graduate? Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

You should add at least a year onto your under-grad, This will not only give you more time to take upper levels, but also you can stretch out your classes a little more to ensure you are getting those A's... Good luck.

Don't go carribean, they try to fail everyone out and I have only heard bad things from them. Far better to spend an extra year in college or do an SMP, then go DO.

@justalittlestar How is the process going for you?
@cometstarg , just now seeing your message. The process has been trying, only because my LOR writers seem to have gone. MIA. My next order of business will be tracking them down. On top of that I'd hoped to apply for 2014 but now it's looking like 2015 because I had to push my MCAT date back to July 24th after doing so terribly on practice AAMC exams. I saw that you got into PCOM! My goal has been to apply to PCOM-PA and get in but again the MCAT is really holding me up, also LOR writers as well.

Best of luck.

@cometstarg , just now seeing your message. The process has been trying, only because my LOR writers seem to have gone. MIA. My next order of business will be tracking them down. On top of that I'd hoped to apply for 2014 but now it's looking like 2015 because I had to push my MCAT date back to July 24th after doing so terribly on practice AAMC exams. I saw that you got into PCOM! My goal has been to apply to PCOM-PA and get in but again the MCAT is really holding me up, also LOR writers as well.

Best of luck.

Good luck to you as well! I'm still waiting on an official decision from the Philly campus and it's my top choice, hopefully we both end up there!

An update in case anyone stumbles across this thread: I got into PCOM GA and PA along with Rutgers Newark. Didn't get in to Rowan or Rutgers NB (although I applied before my best letters of rec were in, may not have made a difference). I picked PCOM PA

Reactions: 2 users