URMs, share your success stories!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemistry2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I did not quite see any recent threads made for URMs to share their stories, but I think it will be a great venue for those who have been accepted to medical school or are even interviewing to share a bit about themselves and their journey into medical school. There aren't very many solid resources that URMs can use on this site that applies to them, making it very confusing for those applying. I am hoping this can be a great learning experience for those applying during this cycle or future cycles. And so I ask those successful applicants:

What were your stats?

What schools did you interview at?

What schools did you get accepted to?

What school did you choose to matriculate?

What challenges did you face on your path?

What tips do you have for other URMs who have yet to apply?

Share any other thoughts you have.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, check out diversemedicine.org. The site does "A Doctor Like You!" blog posts that may interest you. Recently the site posted videos of a couple matriculating med students & their stories. You can find those in the videos section (http://www.diversemedicine.org/videos/).

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everybody,

I did not quite see any recent threads made for URMs to share their stories, but I think it will be a great venue for those who have been accepted to medical school or are even interviewing to share a bit about themselves and their journey into medical school. There aren't very many solid resources that URMs can use on this site that applies to them, making it very confusing for those applying. I am hoping this can be a great learning experience for those applying during this cycle or future cycles. And so I ask those successful applicants:

What were your stats?

What schools did you interview at?

What schools did you get accepted to?

What school did you choose to matriculate?

What challenges did you face on your path?

What tips do you have for other URMs who have yet to apply?

Share any other thoughts you have.

Search up Dr. Ben Carson

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the resources on this site apply to URMs...you get a slight boost in acceptance rates (when equalized for stats) but eveything else is the same process

I don't have much to contribute to the first few questions since I only interviewed at one osteopathic institution in the South. I was lucky to ultimately get accepted. The major challenge that I faced was that I was not prepared for college coursework. I graduated high school with a sub 2.5 at a low performing school. I started college without proper study habits and it reflected on my grades. I eventually got my act together and had to redeem myself, which I believe I did. However, I performed horribly on the MCAT, but I chose not to retake it. I went with it and got lucky. I would recommend for other URMs to seek out like-minded students and mentors. It is great to connect with other URMs in the health care field. For example, during college I went to an LMSA event and I met other pre-meds and med students with similar experiences as me. It was great to see that I was not alone. So, definitely don't be embarrassed to seek out mentors because they will be great help. Other than that, study hard!

Reactions: 4 users