US citizen with an overseas bachelor's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerof1004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm graduating soon from an overseas university, and was wondering how I would be able to apply to med school. I learned that the Amcas doesn't calculate outside the US university courses, so essentially my GPA is non existent. I have done some of my prereqs at my uni (as a bio major), but could not complete all of them.

I'm looking into post bacs and what not, but was wondering if it would be better to complete a post bac and do all my pre reqs here fresh or perhaps to just apply as a transfer applicant to get a US undergrad degree? I read that some schools require 30,60, or even a US based bachelor's degree.

What would be the best action in terms of financial obligation and time?

Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Doing a post-bacc for prereqs, with 30, 60, or 90 semester hours, is faster than a bachelor degree, which you may need 120 hr. But you can't apply certain schools.
Doing a bachelor degree in the US, with all the prereqs, gives you the max opportunity.

(I personally wouldn't go with only 30 hr since that will eliminate too many schools from the list.)

I have no idea about the tuition between these two routes. If you want to be quick, do the post-bacc route if you don't mind having fewer choices.
I, myself, spent 2 years (60 hr) in a post-bacc program and got accepted to my favorite schools.
However, if you can transfer some credits to a US bachelor degree (make sure those courses will show on the US transcript), it might be as fast as a post-bacc program depending on how many you can transfer. I don't have personal experience with this, so you might have to check med schools' rules about transferred credits.