US guided regional block billing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neogenesis

Certifiable
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to save/provide an image in order to bill for US guided regional blocks?

Members don't see this ad.

you don't, but you will be paid less because of it.

It is my understanding that you need to provide an image in order to get reimbursed for the 76942 code. At least for Medicare/caid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I specifically asked our billing people about this, and they said that they have heard about this but that they have been submitting under the 76942 code without images and have not had an issue.

it depends on who is processing your claims. Different states have different vendors for handling medicare payments and insurance companies obviously can vary by state as well. I believe the majority of people haven't had a problem with getting paid without the picture, but our billing people hear stories from around the country of other groups that have had payment denied without a picture so we include one with every chart.

you need a picture on the chart or saved on the drive -- if asked you need to be able to produce the picture with the correct pt identifiers etc. we never been asked for the pictures but we could be and thats a risk we don't take so i only bill for u/s if i get a picture. i don't want to be accused of fraud.

We take a picture, but don't submit them. Haven't been asked to. Pictures are stored for later retrieval if we were to be asked. I think this all depends on your region.

The funny thing about the pictures for U/S is that the people you submit them to have no idea what they are looking at. It could be a doppler radar image and as long as it had the correct patient info on it, you'd be set. There is no requirement of what has to be shown on the image (in plane vs out of plane, seeing the needle, etc).

Reactions: 1 user