MD US-IMG trying to figure out how many prelim programs to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bartolomoose

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere- I'm fairly new to SDN. Some background:

I'm a US-IMG graduating in 2022. Applying for the 2021-22 match year. Interested in EM and DR

Stats:
Step 1 24X
Step 2 waiting on score report but projected 25x
1 month formal USCE in 2021 and ~15mo informal USCE throughout 6 years of school
1 paper awaiting publication
3 solid LORs, 2 from us attendings and 1 from a mentor at my home institution.
Currently working for a major board prep resource (think amboss, sketchy, osmosis etc)

As far as I understand, it's best to apply to every program that is more than1% IMG on FRIEDA (~120 programs per specialty). I'm a bit confused regarding prelim positions however. How many prelim positions should I apply to to be "safe"? Should I aim for prelim surg, med, or TY?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot more pre-lim surgery positions (and they are a lot less competitive). I feel for the Neurology applicants that must have a Medicine pre-lim. Their competition is fierce. After all, those Derm candidates prefer the medicine prelims over surgery.
There have been Soap Cycles with only a handful of medicine prelims and over a thousand surg pre-lims.

I the vaguest terms based on your description of your application, your application doesn't sound bad at all. IMHO, most people with your application description usually get some interviews applying to at least 15 to 20 programs.