US Med Student: Should I apply for match or delay graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboi41992

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I need some urgent and honest guidance. I am a US medical student who is a rising third year now preparing for step 1 Aug 2018. Unfortunately, I have decided to delay my step until August as I have missed my school deadline to take the exam by june. As a result, this means that I will start my 3rd year clincal rotations late.

My school doesn't allow me to take step 2 until I complete all third year rotations. This means I will not be done with my rotations until Sept. 21. 2019... As a result, I will only be able to apply to residency programs with only my step 1 score, which will put at a disadvantage because most program require a step 1, step 2 ck, cs scores

So here is my questions, is it worth for me to apply with only my step 1 scores and then to later take my step 2 like in October/November or should I delay my graduation to apply in the next match cycle?

Also is it really that bad to apply to residency programs if I will not be taking my step 2 yet due to my current circumstances?

Thank for all those who responded

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.