US News - Osteopathic School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolisticMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 150+ allopathic schools and just about 26 osteopathic medical schools... no matter how you slice it, this is impressive.

For the fifth year in a row, the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) received a high ranking in US News and World Report graduate school rankings for rural medicine. WVSOM ranked #8 on the list of top medical schools in rural medicine education. WVSOM also made it onto the list of the 50 best primary care medical schools at #50. The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) and the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC-COM) also appeared on this list at #5 and #34, respectively. Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

With 150+ allopathic schools and just about 26 osteopathic medical schools... no matter how you slice it, this is impressive.

For the fifth year in a row, the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) received a high ranking in US News and World Report graduate school rankings for rural medicine. WVSOM ranked #8 on the list of top medical schools in rural medicine education. WVSOM also made it onto the list of the 50 best primary care medical schools at #50. The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM) and the University of North Texas Health Sciences Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC-COM) also appeared on this list at #5 and #34, respectively. Congratulations!

I just hope everyone understands where these rankings come from and the formulas utilized in order to get such a ranking.

Dear genius,

Except there are 142 accredited U.S. & Canadian allopathic medical schools, only 120 of which were surveyed by U.S. News, only 108 of which were included in their analysis.

There are 26 accredited U.S. osteopathic medical schools, only 20 of which were surveyed by U.S. News, only 18 of which were included in their analysis.

So to take the surveyed schools, 20 out of 128 = 16% of the total schools surveyed were osteopathic. You're bragging that a whopping 3 DO schools made the Rural Medicine & Primary Care lists....? Seriously? You realize 3 out of the top 50 = 6%, right? I'm having trouble figuring out which part was "impressive", although your total disregard for...you know.....NUMBERS is borderline impressive.

Members don't see this ad :)
West Virginia & rural medicine?

I dont see the connection.

Yeah, it is Virginia's big brother/biological father.

I was under the impression that it was Virginia's illegitimate child.

Now watch me end up living in West Virginia for the rest of my life.....DAMN YOU KARMA!

Am I at a great disadvantage for going to a DO med school when it comes to getting into a top residency program? Also, what are the disadvantages of even going to a DO vs. an MD? Why should I even pick a DO over an MD?

Since its a numbers game apparently -

OSU-COM - 30th in primary care and 14th in rural health this year.

Its great to be recognized for primary care but as everyone says, rankings aren't everything.

Am I at a great disadvantage for going to a DO med school when it comes to getting into a top residency program? Also, what are the disadvantages of even going to a DO vs. an MD? Why should I even pick a DO over an MD?

You are at a great disadvantage because you're you. Did your mother have anykids that lived?

This happens every year... careful what you read and consider the source and how they've achieve the list.