US Student, Australian App, Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvanD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently a sophomore at a liberal arts college in the US. I have been told so far, for the US system that if I wanted to go directly into school right after graduation, I should take my MCATs around the end of junior year and the cycle begins around June.

How would this work with the Australian system, how would the timing work? Should I be applying during my junior or senior year? When does the cycle for Australia start?

I appreciate any input, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Australian programs starts in Jan/Feb with applications opening around March/April of the year before.

Work backwards from there to determine when you should take your mcats/apply. If you want to start in 2013 in Australia for instance you should have graduated by May/June 2013 (or prove you will graduate before start of term) and have an MCAT to submit to them when each individuals school's application deadline ends.

Australian programs starts in Jan/Feb with applications opening around March/April of the year before.

Work backwards from there to determine when you should take your mcats/apply. If you want to start in 2013 in Australia for instance you should have graduated by May/June 2013 (or prove you will graduate before start of term) and have an MCAT to submit to them when each individuals school's application deadline ends.

I'm sorry I'm slightly confused. But you mentioned that their programs start Jan/Feb, so in your example would I actually start school Jan/Feb of 2014?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, what about applications? When do applications open? If we're using this same example, would application be open March of 2012?

What's the earliest deadline I should aim for?
I know Flinder's early application ends in April. Even for schools like Flinders with early application deadlines, is there an advantage to applying as soon as the early app comes out in January? Thanks!

Early decision isn't the same as it is in the states from what Dr. Edwards (retired) told me when I asked. He said it was a stream put in place so that students who already had all their documents ready to go could apply earlier. They still have the regular admissions deadline for other students and if you are not accepted in the early scheme you are put into the next one.